my wife prefers Nike Gel...Sperry for me. Tevas are our choice for hiking

Attachments

• 0617171157.jpg
    0617171157.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 41
  • P6050033.jpg
    P6050033.jpg
    907.5 KB · Views: 42
I had a pair of these and loved them. They're Birkenstock "vegan" (they can charge more for vegan than they could if they said it was plastic). I lost them when trying to get my kayak out of a lake where it was mired in mud so mucky on the bottom that the sandals sank in and were irretrievable. (My 3-year old granddaughter was in the kayak and it was listing dangerously so my focus was on saving the kid.)

I'm ordering another pair.

128351.jpg

Not really thongs, but, as an everyday sandal, it is hard to beat "Nunn Bush" sandals. Somewhat pricey, but, will last for years..............

I haven't worn a "thong" or a flip flop since I was a mere child. Mom used to get 10 pair for a dollar back in early '60's.

I'm 6'5" and wear a size 15. When you look like the Empire State Building, you don't build it on a 10 cent pair of rubber/plastic foam. And they're most likely cheaper to make now than back then, but we're paying $10+ now. Ain't happening here, I'll stick with my overpriced cheap a$$ tennis shoes.

I am a huge fan of flip flops. Had many different kind until they started hurting my feet. Then I found TEVA sandals. They have awesome arch support and look good. There are a number of styles and colors. Take a look at them.

Sketchers the best flip flops. They have support and an arch. They're cute and I can walk miles in them. I have 5 pairs of them and reuse them year after year.

Telic or Oofas for cushiony comfort and arch support - also called "recovery" flip (walking for miles is ok, but maybe not hiking for miles over rocks and boulders). Can be had from Amazon or from some comfort shoe stores. The newest version of Telic (former name Terox) has a much more pronounced tread pattern (to wear out more slowly).

These can be worn by someone who's not over plantar fasciitis yet.

Funnily enough, I did have a chum come over with a bottle of rum today....

it's already Rum O'Clock at Casa Koogie...

...So, can anyone recommend a brand of flip flop that is really good for walking long distances?

Gucci or Versace? Come on, gimme a break! :nonono:

Surely, geezers among us would remember the "Ho Chi Minh sandal" with its legendary durability. There is nothing else that can last that long, with the wearers trekking a couple of thousand miles of trail through rainforests, lugging ammos and pulling howitzers by hand even.

I have not had a chance to try one on, but just knowing how they are made you will have to agree with me that they would outlast any wearer.

I like Crocs. Lightweight and cushy.

+1 on these. My last pair lasted over a year...and that is wearing them A LOT. When I say A LOT, I mean pretty much every single day 10 months out of the year. Flip flops, t-shirt, cargo short..it's what I wear on a daily basis. I will also mention that I am 6'3" and weigh about 250...and they withstand my large..um, stature :D just fine.

I just replaced them on Amazon where they had them for $30.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RE3165O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like Crocs. Lightweight and cushy.

I swear by my crocs flip-flops... And I wear them daily... everywhere! I have 2 colors - so swap them out based on my outfit.

They have arch support and good cushion so they are good for long distance walking. I was at the SD Zoo Safari park yesterday - walked many miles - all in my flip flops.

edited to add - I have had issues with plantar fasciitis also... and the crocs flip flops are MUCH better than reef or flojos, or other flat soled flip flops. The contoured foot bed is the key.

Last edited:
I'm a T shirt and shorts guy.

I'd like also for flip flops to be my standard foot wear, but I've never taken to them. I've always felt I had to squeeze my toes together when i walk so the flip flops don't fall off.

Also, my walks usually consist of a mile to 2 miles. It doesn't seem like they would be comfortable for that kind of distance.

If anyone can talk me into it, and it seems many on this thread love their flip flops, I'm open to your imput. Fun thread BTW.

I get mine from Costco 2 or 3 pairs at a time. I still have 2 pairs on the shelf and the ones I wear every day, they are currently about a year and a half old, and yes I wear them every day. I also have a 3rd pair of "Dress" FF's for going out somewhere swank, like dinner parties etc.

I have some cute black flip flops with blue hibiscuses on them that I bought in Hawaii last year. But I only wear them to the pool/beach.

Tevas are my sandal of choice.

.............So, can anyone recommend a brand of flip flop that is really good for walking long distances?

Thanks for the timely thread. I literally blew out a flip flop last week. I need a new pair. The old ones were cheap and hurt my back. I am going to upgrade. Thanks all for the recommendations.

FN

I prefer Keen's brand. They have a toe protection design to them.

+1

I'm such a klutz that I would have permanent black and blue toes without them.

BTW, I live in a northern climate and Keen makes great boots for the snow that seem to be built on the same basic platform as the sandals - just as comfortable.

No one's offered a good reason to pay more than the $15 for Columbias. Must be wealthy.

Back
Top Bottom