Icloud email issue-sent mail disappeared

SecretlyFI

Recycles dryer sheets
The first time this happened I thought I mistakenly deleted my sent emails because I had recently cleaned up alot of email folders. That was back in January. Now it just happened again and I know I didn’t do anything wrong. I called Apple and after a few hours on the phone, escalating to a supervisor and opening a case for their “engineers” to research, we got nowhere.

My entire sent mail folder was completely emptied out last Thursday. Right now there’s only 2 emails in there which I sent on Friday. I do have the automatic backup running daily and I check periodically that it’s still running. Apple could not find any of the vanished sent mails in my backup or in their server copy and had no explanation as to how this happened. They screen shared my phone several times, checked all sorts of settings and ran diagnostics, but found no issues.

The only thing they had me change was some setting that sends deleted messages to “trash folder on my iphone” instead of “deleted folder on the server”. But even that didn’t make sense to me because whenever I delete inbox messages, they always go to my trash folder on my iphone already.

Since they had no explanation for how this happened and could not retrieve anything that was lost, I’m going to be implementing manual steps to safeguard from losing things in the future: cc myself on every sent email so it also goes to my inbox, copy & paste sent emails to word docs so I have a copy of them. Sigh…what a waste of my time, but I can’t risk this happening again and it’s really scaring me.

Anyone have any experience with this? I’m using an iphone 6S. I don’t believe in spending $$$$ every year for new technology, that’s why my phone is 5 years old. But loss of data is a bridge too far for me, so if this could possibly be hardware-related, I’ll get a new phone.

The first time this happened I thought I mistakenly deleted my sent emails because I had recently cleaned up alot of email folders. That was back in January. Now it just happened again and I know I didn’t do anything wrong. I called Apple and after a few hours on the phone, escalating to a supervisor and opening a case for their “engineers” to research, we got nowhere.

My entire sent mail folder was completely emptied out last Thursday. Right now there’s only 2 emails in there which I sent on Friday. I do have the automatic backup running daily and I check periodically that it’s still running. Apple could not find any of the vanished sent mails in my backup or in their server copy and had no explanation as to how this happened. They screen shared my phone several times, checked all sorts of settings and ran diagnostics, but found no issues.

The only thing they had me change was some setting that sends deleted messages to “trash folder on my iphone” instead of “deleted folder on the server”. But even that didn’t make sense to me because whenever I delete inbox messages, they always go to my trash folder on my iphone already.

Since they had no explanation for how this happened and could not retrieve anything that was lost, I’m going to be implementing manual steps to safeguard from losing things in the future: cc myself on every sent email so it also goes to my inbox, copy & paste sent emails to word docs so I have a copy of them. Sigh…what a waste of my time, but I can’t risk this happening again and it’s really scaring me.

Anyone have any experience with this? I’m using an iphone 6S. I don’t believe in spending $$$$ every year for new technology, that’s why my phone is 5 years old. But loss of data is a bridge too far for me, so if this could possibly be hardware-related, I’ll get a new phone.

I’ve never seen that issue. I currently have an iPhone 12, and typically upgrade every few years.

6S is really old. Do they still even support software updates? You can get deals on new phones. We paid $8 a month more for 24 months at T Mobile for new Apple 12s. Sold our old 8s on eBay for $230 each.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom