Blood Pressure Monitor

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm looking for a blood pressure monitor. I have good blood pressure. When I go and see the doctor's, after they take it, they usually say, great. But I thought I'd get one anyhow to test routinely as high blood pressure runs in the family and I woundn't want this silent killer to sneak up on me.

What should I look for in a blood pressure monitor. What are the best choices?

1. Digital vs Manual?

2. Wrist vs forearm vs biceps?

3. Does price matter? I'm looking mostly for value and accuracy.

Did I leave something out? thx

I have the Anova automatic arm one . It is $39.99 at Target . It comes with two cuffs and is accurate and easy to use .

We have a model similar to the one Audrey mentions and it has worked well. Consumer Reports gave good ratings to the Ormon models a couple of years ago.

I have that exact one that Audrey has and it seems to be accurate and still working great after a few years. I think it's great. I had read something about the finger or wrist ones not being as accurate. Not sure about forearm but I figure having the cuff be the same place as the one at the dr's office is a good idea. Digital is certainly easier to use.

Omron is a good brand and there are several of their BP monitors at Walmart. We bought an Omron HEM-741CREL which was branded as a "ReliOn" brand. It cost about $40.

I bought this one after searching this forum. Model numbers change every few years, but the device is basically the same: Cuff + console. It's digital and batteries or AC-adapter for power. Simple. Easy. Reliable.

1. Digital
2. Bicep
3. Price does not matter.

Thanks all the info. Just clicked on the link that Audrey gave. High reviews at Amazon.

Way back when (several years ago), many hours of research led me to the Lifesource UB-328. I have been very happy with the results of my efforts -- even had it "calibrated" with my Doctor's equipment.

We have an Omron, used on the bicep, and we've been very pleased with it. It's well made, easy to use and is holding up well after at least 2 years. I think it was from Amazon or maybe an eBay store, under $40.

I got this a few weeks ago at Walgreens. WGNBPA-540 Automatic Deluxe Blood Pressure Monitor | Walgreens.

I've compared the readings against three different machines (dentist, endodontist and maxillofacial surgeon) and two different nurses using the old-fashioned sphygmomanometer and stethoscope at my PCP's office. It's pretty darn accurate and only cost $49.

This is what Jay Leno would say:

If your hand gets tired pumping up the cuff, maybe high blood pressure isn't your biggest problem. :)

I have a manual Omron that cost $3 at a garage sale and it works great.

If your hand gets tired pumping up the cuff, maybe high blood pressure isn't your biggest problem. :)

I have very small hands, and that bladder is just not that easy to squeeze and keep inflated at the higher pressures. Exacerbated by an old wrist injury as well.

Audrey

My wife regularly uses an Omron wrist model. Although my doctor says that the wrist models are less accurate, my wife has taken hers with her to the doctor and it correlates well with their equipment.

Although my doctor says that the wrist models are less accurate, my wife has taken hers with her to the doctor and it correlates well with their equipment.

I find that a lot. I have challenged many people (mostly medically trained folks) with the same results. I don't understand this inbred bias against the wrist version. Someone should research this and explain to us non-medical "fraidy cats" what the real facts are.

I find that a lot. I have challenged many people (mostly medically trained folks) with the same results. I don't understand this inbred bias against the wrist version. Someone should research this and explain to us non-medical "fraidy cats" what the real facts are.

Ok DW is a physican

We never got accurate readings on the wrist unit.
but I have a very big wrist with big bones

DW could not get accurate readings with stethoscope on my wrist.

The Omron arm unit is both precise and accurate when checked both by DW and my KP doctor.

Possible repeat possible reason is that the wrist unit compresses the artery against bone and the arm unit compresses it against soft tissue. This may, repeat may affect the sound transmission.

key item is to get a big cuff if you have a big arm.

I have a heart arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat). Wrist monitors have a reputation for not being very accurate when used by a person with an irregular heartbeat. (Many wrist monitors even cannot detect an irregular heartbeat.) In addition, many people cannot tell if they have an irregular heartbeat (and should see a cardiologist).

However, an irregular heartbeat would be blindingly obvious to someone using a stethoscope. This is an example of a situation in which a wrist monitor might be suboptimal. Some medical clinics will not use wrist monitors when dealing with people who have an arrhythmia. Until recently, this was true of the clinic I patronize.

I have a wrist monitor that can detect an irregular heartbeat. This might be a feature to look for when buying a wrist monitor.

I have a heart arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat). ...In addition, many people cannot tell if they have an irregular heartbeat (and should see a cardiologist).

I have a wrist monitor that can detect an irregular heartbeat. This might be a feature to look for when buying a wrist monitor.

I, too, have an arrhythmia (asymptomatic Atrial Fibriallation) and find it quite difficult to find my own pulse... sometimes I can find it in the temple area.

The BP monitor I mentioned in the above Post (#8) specifically points out that it is designed for irregular heartbeat conditions. In fact, it points out that there is an arrythymia if the condition is present.

In any event, I take back my challenge -- this is clearly a YMMV issue and each individual should work out the answer with their own doctor (and, certainly, not take medical advice from an [-]idiot [/-] unreliable person like me).

I, too, have an arrhythmia (asymptomatic Atrial Fibriallation) and find it quite difficult to find my own pulse... sometimes I can find it in the temple area.

The BP monitor I mentioned in the above Post (#8) specifically points out that it is designed for irregular heartbeat conditions. In fact, it points out that there is an arrythymia if the condition is present.

In any event, I take back my challenge -- this is clearly a YMMV issue and each individual should work out the answer with their own doctor (and, certainly, not take medical advice from an [-]idiot [/-] unreliable person like me).
Ron, just use a cheap stethoscope right over the left chest. People with AF have an apical pulse (as heard over the heart) and a peripheral pulse (neck, arm, etc.). The latter is seemingly slower because not all the apical beats make it to the arm in an audible way.

Ron, just use a cheap stethoscope right over the left chest. People with AF have an apical pulse (as heard over the heart) and a peripheral pulse (neck, arm, etc.). The latter is seemingly slower because not all the apical beats make it to the arm in an audible way.

Thanks for the info. Periodically, I make gestures toward purchasing a stethoscope but it never gets past that stage -- this may get me off the pot.

While, I mentioned that I find it hard to find my pulse, I rarely look for it manually. When exercising (or other vigorous activity, like hiking), I use a chest strap and a Polar Watch (I have a MIO also) and that allows me to monitor and keep my heart rate below 150. I also, when away from (the stick) home, wear the strap and notice that my heart rate is generally in the 50-75 BPM range but goes as low as 41-42 and high as ~85 when "at rest."

Other times, I simply rely on the above mentioned BP monitor (every day or so) and my every four week Doctors Office visit for Prothombine Time checks. All three methods are consistent with each other so I don't concern myself with this much anymore. (Not like when I was first diagnosed... then I checked my heart rate something like every fifteen minutes for months.)

Back
Top Bottom