Blow That Dough! - 2019

As long as we are talking about recliners, I had been using hand-me-down chairs that were off colored, and not overly comfortable.

We made the decision to go a big furniture outlet, and I got a really comfortable, overstuffed, distressed leather rocker recliner that matches my couch/loveseat set. I like being able to rock with my feet on the floor, some were too tall, some had too short of headrest...this one ?...just right, papa bear is happy !

Ahh yes. We are fairly particular when it comes to butt sit and lay sleep comforts in life.

Worth it to pay for extra leg room, better couch cushions and comfy recliners and top of the line beds, linens super comfy pillows. After all you spend more time laying in bed than likely anything else kn life.

My new "Blow That Dough" lift recliner is better than perfect. I think I got my money's worth already. It is great for napping, even when I didn't intend to nap. I didn't realize how sleep deprived I must be! :2funny:

Spent half the night sleeping in my recliner, until I awakened and realized what I was doing, and went to bed. Then today I have already taken two naps in it.

My grandma had gotten one and it has been used many many times since for injuries and after surgery recovery.. a good one can be passed on and actually be useful. .. great purchase. My mom sleeps in the recliner almost every day and sometimes overnight as she has sleep apnea and the recliner position helps more than the cpap. The only negative is that it is super slow which you notice when you have pressing needs.

and then there are books. Preliminary list price checked on the bookstore website looks like we're going to hit $1000.

So the other milestone is - first withdrawal from the 529. LOL.

Look into used books. My sons were in college 2002 to 2009 and even then there were plenty of used book options either off campus or online. We used ebay and online bookstores. I bet there are even more options now. I would try to get the current edition but many times the previous edition was close enough.

After the semester was over I sold many of the textbooks and sometimes came close to even on the cost.

Look into used books. My sons were in college 2002 to 2009 and even then there were plenty of used book options either off campus or online. We used ebay and online bookstores. I bet there are even more options now. I would try to get the current edition but many times the previous edition was close enough.

After the semester was over I sold many of the textbooks and sometimes came close to even on the cost.

Also see if you can rent the needed textbooks. My daughters used chegg, there may be more options now

But put that recliner on an airplane for a 14-hour flight then I am in heaven. Oh wait, they already have it. They simply charge too much for it.

They charge what they charge. You have decided that the amount they charge is too much.

Sure. Not everyone agrees with me, as I see plenty of "dough blowers" in these seats.

Darn! My frugal wife recently said perhaps we should join them.

My Mother had one of those recliners .You have to be careful in a storm .My Mother lost power and got caught in the recliner and had to climb out of it .

My Mother had one of those recliners .You have to be careful in a storm .My Mother lost power and got caught in the recliner and had to climb out of it .

Well, a UPS works for computers, I suppose it would work for a chair as well. Although I'd wager that's an application the designers did not foresee.:)

Purchased a sofa with two reclining sections from Macy's within the past year, about $1600.

I've been looking at those zero gravity recliners but those can be more expensive.

None of these recliners will go all the way flat so just in case I didn't like the reclining position, I got a couch on which I could lay down conventionally as well as recline like a traditional recliner.

Most of the time I use the power reclining features and fall asleep easily. Too easily, often find i doze off before finishing an hour show.

I don't feel neck or back strain but ultimately, when I do a lot of sleeping, it's mostly on a flat bed and on my side. So I wonder about sleeping in a reclining position for several hours, what it may be doing to my neck and back, even if I don't feel the strain.

It's semi plush leather with padding so I can slide up and down.

What I do notice with sleeping in reclined position for several hours is that phlegm accumulates in back of my upper chest or throat.

That doesn't happen when I use a normal bed or lie on the couch length-wise, on my side or back.

My previous couch, I was definitely getting neck strain, either trying to sit up or lying on my side with my head on the arm rest.

Set off to buy a loaded Mazda CX-5 to replace my wife's 2011 MDX. Looks like we are going to order a fully loaded BMW X3 M340i. Stickers @ $67k.

I never thought we’d take a National Geographic tour as they are very expensive, but we are taking one this year to see the ancient cave paintings in Northern Spain and Southern France with expert guides.

Set off to buy a loaded Mazda CX-5 to replace my wife's 2011 MDX. Looks like we are going to order a fully loaded BMW X3 M340i. Stickers @ $67k.
DW got a loaded Mazda CX-5 for about 60% of your BMW. Buy the Mazda and take a cruise in a suite with the difference. We did:D

Traveling! As yet unknown destination end of August, Guatemala September, Thailand October, Italy November. In 2020 so far Turkey in April. Gotta work on filling in the gaps!

DW got a loaded Mazda CX-5 for about 60% of your BMW. Buy the Mazda and take a cruise in a suite with the difference. We did:D

Or don't buy a new car at all and take a 2 week glamping safari.

I don't know if this counts but I bought a Dyson V7 Animal. The thought of spending $250 on a vacuum is insane to me ! But .... I used my credit card points to get gift cards to pay for it. So I guess I didn't "blow that dough" but "blow those points".

BTW - I love having a cordless vac that I can just whip around the house in a flash almost daily. Who knew that vacuuming could be so rewarding !

I never thought we’d take a National Geographic tour as they are very expensive, but we are taking one this year to see the ancient cave paintings in Northern Spain and Southern France with expert guides.

There aren't online guides explaining the paintings?

Or audio guides you can rent or podcasts?

The wife's 2002 Toyota with over 200000 miles died on the freeway and was towed to her Pop's house. Gonna donate the carcass to charity.

32 grand for a 2018 Subaru Outback. Woo-Hoo!

Gonna have to call the broker again and sell some more stock. And since the market is high...wait for it...

Blow That Dough - :)

I'm blowing some dough on a new roof and gutters now being installed. Not fun stuff though. But I did snag a new camera lens recently.

Had my eye on a 2004 Corvette in great shape for $15K. I've been looking around for a couple years, never quite sure if I would enjoy the experience after the initial fun period wore off. I know a few guys that have Vettes and they spend a lot of time parked in the garage. So I decided to just give my three kids $5K each to enjoy themselves. Now....I've got my eye on a new Tesla model 3 :dance:

Had my eye on a 2004 Corvette in great shape for $15K. I've been looking around for a couple years, never quite sure if I would enjoy the experience after the initial fun period wore off. I know a few guys that have Vettes and they spend a lot of time parked in the garage. So I decided to just give my three kids $5K each to enjoy themselves. Now....I've got my eye on a new Tesla model 3 :dance:

Your kids should send you pictures of the Bugatti. :D

Received 4 new Callaway Rogue X Hybrids today to replace several irons. Took them for a test spin this afternoon and boy.....they are easy to hit. I'm officially a geezer tomorrow(65) so figured I might as well treat myself to some old man's clubs. Not cheap.....but what the heck.

The local Martin's grocery store had "Wagyu Kobe Beef Loin" NY Strip today. Originally priced at 35.99/lb but marked down to half off. I figured it's probably some American version. Didn't look all that well marbled but that cut generally isn't anyway. One of my less favorite cuts too, but I thought it was a good chance to try it. Packed on 7/27, sell my 7/31, I'm guessing they just didn't have takers at that price.

I grilled it up for lunch since rain is coming for a lot of the rest of the week. I rate it as an above average NY strip, but it didn't melt in my mouth or taste that special. I'd say it was disappointing but I kind of expected to be let down. I know there are special ways to cook it on an iron skillet or something like that, but I don't feel like I grilled it poorly.

I should've tracked down the butcher to get the story on these, and see where they got them. I'm guessing the source wasn't as good as the ones Robbie is getting his from.

Oh well, worth a shot. Next time I'll trust my judgement on the looks. I took a pic of it in the package.

Attachments

• wagyu kobe.jpg
    wagyu kobe.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 57
Real Kobe beef usually runs several hundred dollars/pound. I don't know if it is allowed to be imported to the US yet.

RobbieB buys American Wagyu beef from the Web, and perhaps he got a better grade than you can get in stores.

Amazon shows the following Wagyu beef at $180+$30 shipping for 12 oz.

81HOSoJ2oUL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
You're right, it probably was just a lower grade than what a good mail order place sells. I was under no illusion it was real Japanese Kobe. From what I hear (more than just here), American Kobe/Wagyu is not as good but is still much better than regular beef. I thought I'd give it a try, and that maybe I was getting a bargain due to my store taking a shot and not enough people biting on it.

Snake River Farms sells their NY strip, black grade, at about $48/lb in quantity.
https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/american-wagyu-end-cut-new-york-strip.html
In the same ballpark as what mine was originally listed for ($35). Their marbling looks better than what I had, but not worlds apart.

Back
Top Bottom