Blow that Dough 2024

BTD for travel ! More trips with direct flights and nice rental cars.
Just returned from Texas where we rented a pick up truck instead of a car. After a bad experience with a discount airline, we only book with the national airline. In June, we'll fly direct to San Diego and rent an Airbnb instead of hotel. Lots of fun !
Check out Vrbo also. I’ve found it easier to find bookings I like there.

Slowly starting to fill up the garage I bought back in February with more toys. Here's the newest addition...2023 Camaro 2SS 6.2L 6 Speed manual.
IMG_1949.JPG

I did not know such a thing existed. Pretty neat! Reminds me of an early Land cruiser. All about the business.

I did not know such a thing existed. Pretty neat! Reminds me of an early Land cruiser. All about the business.
They started selling them in 2023 in Europe, Australia, and Africa. They just started selling them this year in the US. There's only 17 or 18 US dealerships.

They drew inspiration from a lot of the old school off-road vehicles and many see it as the spiritual successor to the old Land Rover Defender. The CEO, a British billionaire, thought Land Rover got too far away from the simple ruggedness of the Defender when they introduced the new Defender in 2020, so he decided to build his own. Land Rover sued over the vehicle's styling, but lost in court.

It's a pretty amazing story considering they company had never built a vehicle before and had to partner with lots of different companies (BMW provides the engine, Brembo brakes, Bilstine shocks, Eibach springs, etc...), build or buy an automobile plant, and design and manufacture source all the parts...and then COVID hit in the middle of it all.

Here's a good video about it:

Could have gone to Chicago this summer to see the Blue Angels for free. But no - going to see them in a catered dinner venue at Traverse City Mi cherry festival. Tickets and hotel > $1200.

Belay all that noise, we are booking a VRBO for everybody up near the new home site. This is great!

Last edited:
I've been an early reservation holder on this for over two years. Picked it up a little over a month ago, paid cash. Absolutely love it.

View attachment 51148
Oh, this is great. I have been watching reviews. It is so unique. Great color as well. How do you like it so far? I believe the engine is BMW right? Where do you go to get serviced?

Last edited:
Could have gone to Chicago this summer to see the Blue Angels for free. But no - going to see them in a catered dinner venue at Traverse City Mi cherry festival. Tickets and hotel > $1200.

I suspect one of those angles flew over my house the other day. (I am a fan.) They are in the neighborhood for an airshow, we are not in an airflight path, and the jets (at least to my untrained ears) sound different. Enjoy the show!

Welcome to TC! I try and avoid going into town for the week of the Cherry Festival but always make an exception for the air show. Great to watch them over the bay.

I suspect one of those angles flew over my house the other day. (I am a fan.) They are in the neighborhood for an airshow, we are not in an airflight path, and the jets (at least to my untrained ears) sound different. Enjoy the show!

Thanks - One probably did fly over your house. They practice during the week in the area of their upcoming weekend shows. Downtown Chicago is one such place - sometimes you don't see or hear them - and then all of a sudden they appear scooting past a skyscraper. I don't think that there is much work getting done in downtown office buildings during Blue Angel training.

We visited the aviation museum in Pensacola last fall, but their website didn't list any practices or shows when we were there. We went to dinner, and came out to this

Welcome to TC! I try and avoid going into town for the week of the Cherry Festival but always make an exception for the air show. Great to watch them over the bay.
Thanks - it must be crazy there that week - closest Hampton Inn I could find was in Manistee. 1.5 hrs or so from Traverse City. But thats ok. It's going to be fun

Thanks - One probably did fly over your house. They practice during the week in the area of their upcoming weekend shows. Downtown Chicago is one such place - sometimes you don't see or hear them - and then all of a sudden they appear scooting past a skyscraper. I don't think that there is much work getting done in downtown office buildings during Blue Angel training.

We visited the aviation museum in Pensacola last fall, but their website didn't list any practices or shows when we were there. We went to dinner, and came out to this

I really enjoyed the aviation museum in Pensacola. I was fortunate enough to visit the museum when DS was training / stationed there.

Oh, this is great. I have been watching reviews. It is so unique. Great color as well. How do you like it so far? I believe the engine is BMW right? Where do you go to get serviced?
I love it, exactly what I was hoping for -- a boxy, over built off road vehicle with old school looks. The engine is the BMW B58 engine. Supposedly a solid powerplant. Besides BMW, Toyota also uses it in the Supra. Ineos detuned the engines to 282 hp while upping the torque to 332 lb ft. While pricey, you can see where they put the money if you get under the vehicle. Everything seems super-heavy duty and built to last.

Dealership availability is the biggest issue in the US. The closest dealer to me is either Houston or Atlanta - both about 6 hours away so the vehicle is a bit of a leap of faith that nothing goes seriously wrong with it. You can have it serviced for normal maintenance anywhere you want, just keep records. I have an independent shop near me that specializes in foreign cars. The last time I had my 2021 Defender serviced there I mentioned I have the Grenadier on order and they were excited about it - so routine maintenance for me shouldn't be an issue. If something needs fixing warranty-wise, my first step will be to call the dealer, but Ineos customer service will also work with you. They are offering to tow to nearest dealer but I think it was only 150 miles or so. My dealers are farther away than that. Worst case is I put it on a flat bed and send it to Houston if needed. The warranty is a good one at 5yr or 60K.

I haven't had any issues so far. There are a few gripes online that do need to be addressed in future builds, but they don't bother me much -- cup holders are small, and none in the second row, no power electric seats, no vanity mirror behind the driver or passenger sunshade, a speed warning clicks at you every time you go above the speed limit. I made a favorite shortcut to turn this 'feature' off, but you have to do it every time you start the car. Hopefully a software update will allow the vehicle to remember user settings.

Most non-owners are complaining that for the price you should get more luxury features (this vehicle uses a key to start it, no 360 degree cameras, no adaptive cruise control (just the regular kind), etc...). But again, the cost is in the suspension, frame, brakes, steering gear, axles, differentials, etc...

I highly recommend going for a test drive if you are curious at all about the vehicle and are lucky to have a dealer semi-close by.

Last edited:
Final pre payment for Hawaii trip coming up. Three rooms ocean front at First class resort, FC airfare, luau, dolphin swim for 7 of us.
Now just need to put aside the $ for food/drinks while there.
That sound like a wonderful, wonderful vacation!!! What island will you be on?

Back
Top Bottom