Book suggestions for WWII buff

Keep in mind, victors write history.

Back in the stone age when I was in college, I took a couple of unique and interesting US and world history courses based on the losers' point of view.

Any from an aviator's perspective??

I assumed you meant WWII history from an aviator's perspective, but is he also into non-military aviation history/memoirs? That's another interest of mine if you want a good list of those as well.

^^^^^ Lost in Shangri-La is a fascinating true WWII story that has some aviation twists.

Not a book, but the British TV documentary “The World at War” is an oldie but a goldie. Available on Amazon.

It sounds like he would enjoy "B-17s Over Berlin - Personal Stories from the 95th Bomb Group" edited by Ian L Hawkins. You can get a good condition copy or better from Abe Books on line for about $5. There about 75 stories/interviews from the men who flew B-17s. Each story is about 1 to 6 pages long so it can be picked up an read at any time without having to keep track of a plot but I bet he won't be able to put it down.

Cheers!

+1

For Abebooks! This site is gold if one is a reader of books of the paper variety!

Last edited:
Not a book, but the British TV documentary “The World at War” is an oldie but a goldie. Available on Amazon.
I remember watching this series with my father when I was a child. Very good. I always remembered the theme music for some reason. There was a monthly magazine of the same name and I still have my 50 year old copies. I purchased the series on DVD 10 years ago. Still very good.

Check out the well researched, well written and award-winning WW2 "Liberation Trilogy" by Rick Atkinson.

In terms of aviation, I'd suggest the new book, "Masters of the Air" by Donald L. Miller----it is a masterpiece and you just can't go wrong with it.

Two books for the "lesser known" events of WWII:

The Lady Be Good - Dennis McClendon
The Poltava Affair - Glenn Infield

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom