Books, DVS, etc?

jnojr

Recycles dryer sheets
What are some books or other educational items you guys swear by?

For example, I steer people to The Coming Generational Storm by Kotlikoff constantly.

Basically, anything that encourages savings and investment, educational stuff about basic economics (that's more readable than a textbook ;) ), anything that would be good for young teens/preteens to encourage them to develop good money habits, etc.

I liked these

The Wall Street Journal Guide to Planning Your Financial Future *
The Wealthy Barber *
Richest man in Babylon *
The Millionaire Next Door *
The Intelligent Asset Allocator
Frank Armstrong's Investment Strategies
Consumer Reports Money Book *
Rich Dad Poor Dad *

Everyone's money book
Goodman, Jordan Elliot
How to retire early and live well on less than a million dollars
Bob Clyatt's "Live More, Work Less,"

Cashing in on the American dream : how to retire at 35

Get a life

Retire on less than you think : the New York times guide to planning your financial future

Thanks!

But... Rich Dad, Poor Dad:confused: Robert Kiyosaki is a fraud. He's been thoroughly discredited. I read RDPD a couple of years ago, and throughout it I had this sense of disquiet. There was just something wrong with what he said and how he said it. I found out a little more, and let's say I'm safe from the Kiyosaki Kool-Aid for all time :)

Oh, and I happen to have The Richest Man in Babylon sitting on my nightstand right now, next in line after I finish Heinlein's The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress :)

The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing. Easy to read & comprehensive.

The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need--Andrew Tobias

Your Money or Your Life--Not a great investing book, but it helped me understand where and I why I was spending my money.

Millionaire Next Door

I second the recommendation for Your Money or Your Life, by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin. As GatorBuzz says, it is weak on investment advice, but excellent on LBYM as a route to FIRE.

For investing, I like Eight Steps to Seven Figures: The Investment Strategies of Everyday Millionaires and How You Can Become Wealthy Too, by Charles Carlson.

I also second Rich Dad Poor Dad. Regardless of whether people think the guy is a fraud or not, the book serves a very good purpose for encouraging people to get money to work for them instead of working for money... and that is fundamentally important to FIRE.

If you're of the "set it away and don't think about it" mentality, then Automatic Millionaire is probably a good fit.

Rich Dad Poor Dad made us stop and examine what we were doing with our money and how we spent it. I don't like his other books but the first one really did give us a "kick in the pants" that we needed.

Buckets of Money by Ray Lucia gave me a confort level that allowed me to pull the trigger and actually retire in 3 days. Ray has a new one out called Ready, Set, Retired that I am looking forward to reading.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom