Buying a Used Vacuum Cleaner

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Our fifteen-year-old Eureka Boss vacuum cleaner is good, but it started eating belts, so I decided to replace it.

Got a big strong Hoover Windtunnel for a few bucks at a garage sale. But I found that it has a wire that protrudes into the wind channel somewhere in the middle, and that collects dust and cuts efficiency. Worse, it has fancy bags with plastic sliders that cost $2-3 each.

So, I next got a $3 Dirt Devil Breeze bagless, which is actually pretty nice, although smaller (less wide!) and less powerful. But it's so light, we'll probably keep it. When we clean the house, Lena cleans upstairs and I clean downstairs, so it works well to have two vacuums, big spenders that we are.

So, this weekend I got a big Bissell bagless vacuum cleaner at a rummage sale for $8. Checked that it worked, and it seemed strong. This was a very nice machine, with a clever design and nice washable filters.

I got home and turned it on. What was that smell? I recognized it, but couldn't place it. I started cleaning out the filters and air channels, but I soon realized that it was going to take a major cleaning effort. Then I realized what the smell was: dope. You could get a contact high by smelling the hose. Gross, huh? I disassembled it and put it in the garbage.

In my more frugal years, I would have gotten it clean inside.

The moral: Don't buy a used vacuum unless you check that it is clean inside.

I think I'll buy a new Shark bagless the next time the Eureka Boss eats a belt.

Another reason not to buy one: bedbugs. They are great bedbug distribution devices.

Stay away from used vacuums like used underwear.

Another reason not to buy one: bedbugs. They are great bedbug distribution devices.

Stay away from used vacuums like used underwear.

+1

Last week, I was looking for a self-service car wash. While reading the reviews on Yelp, I found out that some of the vacuum cleaners at these locations were infested with bed bugs.

As a rule, I stay away from buying used items with "motor" parts. They have more fixed lifespan and it's hard to tell where they are in their lifespan.

Last week, I was looking for a self-service car wash. While reading the reviews on Yelp, I found out that some of the vacuum cleaners at these locations were infested with bed bugs.

How do they get from the vacuum into your car? Climb down the hose?

a Shark bagless is $129.99 at best buy and you can usually find a 20% off coupon . Go for it Al . It's been a good year .

Or, you could plan to repair / refurbish it yourself endlessly, like me. We're so impressed with the Dyson vac we have that I can't see any reason to replace it if it ever acts up (and it has).

There is a cult-like community of people with too much time on their hands who actually collect vacuum cleaners; one of their hangouts is on a forum sponsored by a vacuun cleaner repair business in Manchester UK. They even have published a book on how to repair nearly every single part on the Dyson. The machine is remarkably engineered for simplicity and works great, so why not DIY (I DIY for most things around the house, part of the LBYM syndrome I suppose).

Don't let me get started on how to extend the service life of a 25 yr old Sears washer though. Thats a dark secret that DW will never allow again.:nonono:

_B

+1

"What do you mean, cooties? No cooties on me..."

Frank Zappa

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

After all the used-vacuum bashing, I have to say that the Dirt Devil Breeze is a really nice machine. It wasn't that dirty and I was able to clean it thoroughly. The thing is very light yet has better suction than our highly rated Eureka Boss.

It has a simple, elegant design and it's fun to see how fast it accumulates a little tornado of stuff.

images

You should have fixed your Eureka Boss! I have a Eureka Boss, about 15 years old, and it croaked about 5 years ago when the motor started sparking and making weird noises and a burnt odor. Believe it or not there is a vacuum cleaner store in my town that sells used vacuum cleaner motors. I bought a good used motor from the guy for $15 with a 30 day warranty, and I installed it myself. Still working fine. I gave him the old motor. Don't know if he was able to make any use of it.

A few years back bought a used Electrolux maybe 10 years old. $5.- Tossed old bag into fire pit, installed a new one. Still works fine, keep it garage for car cleaning.

Yesterday at goodwill got a 12 volt vacuum to use at my camp. $ 2.50 In the store opened unit, filter was clean. That works fine too.

Lucky I guess.

Back
Top Bottom