Buying new car

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is anybody in the market for a new car? I was looking at the Kia Sorento. I was blown away when the dealer said there was a 5k markup in the MSRP.:facepalm:

No way I would buy ANY car right now. Of course, we have two and only only really NEED one. Prices are absolutely insane right now and I would have to have a very, VERY good reason to buy one at the currently inflated prices. Not only that, the selection of new cars are pretty slim in some areas, so you may not be able to get what you want for that inflated price.

Fortunately we don't need to buy one now either, but I am keeping a mental list of those dealers who are greedily adding to the MSRP (which is pure fiction anyway) and resolving to never buy from them in the future. It's not like I'm trolling the car lots for that, but if I see it I make a note of it.

And like ExFlyBoy5, if one vehicle does suffer damage or need repairs that aren't worth fixing, we can make do with one vehicle if needed until a semblance of pricing normalcy returns.

I purchased a car last night. From my office. No dealer. No MSRP markups.

Tesla model 3

Price: 51K

Color: silver

Range 358 miles.

Will be delivered in March

Now is the worst time to buy a car in my lifetime. My next door neighbor bought a Tahoe a year and 11,000 miles ago and traded it in for $7000 more than he paid. That is nutz.

Is anybody in the market for a new car? I was looking at the Kia Sorento. I was blown away when the dealer said there was a 5k markup in the MSRP.:facepalm:

Shop around. Not all dealers do this. But you won’t likely get below MSRP. I paid sticker price for a Toyota Highlander in late September.

We're not in the market for a new car. However, maybe a month ago, just out of curiosity, I did do some online comparison shopping. I found that Toyota is not marking up and prices are still reasonable on a good portion of their models.

Now is the worst time to buy a car in my lifetime. My next door neighbor bought a Tahoe a year and 11,000 miles ago and traded it in for $7000 more than he paid. That is nutz.

I bought a new 2022 Blazer last month off the lot. It was MSRP minus 1000 Chevy rebate and they threw in 0% interest rate financing. I didnt get $7k more, but I traded in a 2018 Explorer I bought brand new and they gave me 3k more than I paid for it.

The markup may vary from region to region, but not much within a region. I had to buy a new car last Nov and the markup was $3000. A month later it was $3995. And it didn’t matter what dealer, all the same. The only way to avoid a markup is choose a make/model no one else wants, but even that’s tough right now - way more demand than supply.

I'm pretty sure this is negotiable, just because he adds a sticker that says market adjustment does not mean people are willing to pay it.
My local dealer sent me an e-mail asking me to drop by and see the new models that he now had and I let him know that I would never consider paying an extra market adjustment price and I had never paid MSRP or over in the last 30 years so I'd just wait till prices got back to normal.
I did tease with I'm eager to buy but willing to wait to see what he might offer but never heard back and I'm okay with that.
It does look like they have now removed the market adjustment stickers and want full MSRP and they're moving cars now. When they played that game they sold hardly any cars for about a month, I was checking their inventory on their website every day. My last SUV was purchased at 7K less than MSRP so I'm willing to wait. I'm very very cheap and my current vehicle does not even have 50K miles on it so I'm not desperate.

I have a 2022 Subaru Crosstrek on order. The MSRP is the price. Everything that I have searched it is what various websites said it should be. There was no negotiations and I will have a little flexibility on my trade in. I have never liked the haggling on a car purchase. After 10 years I just want something new. The car should arrive by the end of March. It was time to blow some dough!

I'm pretty sure this is negotiable, just because he adds a sticker that says market adjustment does not mean people are willing to pay it.
My local dealer sent me an e-mail asking me to drop by and see the new models that he now had and I let him know that I would never consider paying an extra market adjustment price and I had never paid MSRP or over in the last 30 years so I'd just wait till prices got back to normal.
I did tease with I'm eager to buy but willing to wait to see what he might offer but never heard back and I'm okay with that.
It does look like they have now removed the market adjustment stickers and want full MSRP and they're moving cars now. When they played that game they sold hardly any cars for about a month, I was checking their inventory on their website every day. My last SUV was purchased at 7K less than MSRP so I'm willing to wait. I'm very very cheap and my current vehicle does not even have 50K miles on it so I'm not desperate.

Exactly! Not all dealers are selling vehicle over MSRP. Not in my area anyway. A very poor time to buy if you have too. Even paying MSRP is paying too much for my standards for a vehicle.

Just about a year ago from today I bought a new car. It was a one year-old new hold over with discounts and also discount was on for that vehicle at the time also. I got them down some more and paid 23% less than the MSRP on the sticker in the window. I believe I hit it just right before the car sales disaster hit the world.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed my old ranch truck keeps on ticking. It takes a beating and gets lots of miles. If I had to replace now, I would consider some other options till prices came back down or find something to get me by.

Last edited:
Just got an email from the dealer I bought from a year ago. They have incentives up to 5K on certain new vehicles. Plus they are selling at MSRP not over but for that price. That doesn't mean you can work them down from that MSRP.

I see they have some Bronco Sports Big Bends for 28K so looks like they aren't trying to gouge just because the supply is down.

Just got an email from the dealer I bought from a year ago. They have incentives up to 5K on certain new vehicles. Plus they are selling at MSRP not over but for that price. That doesn't mean you can work them down from that MSRP.

I see they have some Bronco Sports Big Bends for 28K so looks like they aren't trying to gouge just because the supply is down.

I have a friend who ordered the hard top big Bronco a year ago last summer. Thought it was coming off production last month and they told him it wouldnt be ready until May…Chip shortage.

I have a friend who ordered the hard top big Bronco a year ago last summer. Thought it was coming off production last month and they told him it wouldnt be ready until May…Chip shortage.

Yes that is what I heard an auto dealer here say also. He also said it has been better lately in getting new stock. So, this whole pandemic has created a nightmare for everything under the sun.

Try a buying program like Costco. At least you’ll get a price to consider at the very least. I used Costco to buy a popular, rarely discounted SUV. I feel like I got a deal without a lot of hassle. KBB is also a good site to help with pricing based on zip code.

The Lease on my Tiguan is not up for another 2 years, :) Currently the Mileage is <5000 after 18 months. The value then will most likely offset any markup at the time I need to turn it in.

The Lease on my Tiguan is not up for another 2 years, :) Currently the Mileage is <5000 after 18 months. The value then will most likely offset any markup at the time I need to turn it in.

Check your buyout at the end. You might find buying it at lease end is better than current market pricing.

Check your buyout at the end. You might find buying it at lease end is better than current market pricing.

If so, I will sell it privately and lease another new car, I did that with 3 low mileage leased vehicles in the past. We do not keep used cars, leases today include everything, are relatively cheap, and make for a trouble and hassle free daily drivers. Now the Toy cars are a different story. :)

If so, I will sell it privately and lease another new car, I did that with 3 low mileage leased vehicles in the past. We do not keep used cars, leases today include everything, are relatively cheap, and make for a trouble and hassle free daily drivers. Now the Toy cars are a different story. :)

I bought out my leased pickup last summer since a new lease would have cost 50% more than I was paying on the old lease.

Apples-to-apples, same model & trim-line, no money down plus rolling everything possible (e.g. taxes) into the monthly payment as well.

Last edited:

Don’t let the pay off your mortgage crowd see your post. :LOL:

I am an arbitrager from way back myself.

This craziness was already in play last summer... I bought a new truck in August 2021 and they "started" with a 10k over window sticker price offer. In the end (two days later) I got the new truck for an even trade (on paper) since my 2019 trade-in had gone up so much in value. So, at that time, there was room for negotiations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom