Can Citizens of Schengen Area Countries move to one unconditionally?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Not sure what I mean by unconditionally, but assuming one is a citizen of a country in the Schengen Area, I would like to hear from folks that have moved to another to live and their experiences. Even better if one spouse was not a citizen of on.

Thanks

EU citizens can move to any EU country (some are not Schengen in the EU), move, register within 3 months, and live. Technically non self sufficient have a right to search for work, and are supposed to leave if they become a burden, but that is unenforceable in real terms.

My understanding is that Schengen visas are almost always short term visas, limited to 90 days in a 180 day period. It means than once you have the right to enter one Schengen country you don't need to get another short term visa to visit another Schengen country.
Long term stays require citizenship or permission to stay from the specific country where you would like to reside. Citizenship in any EU country lets you live anywhere within the EU and many countries let you stay longer through a different long term residency process, which is separate from Schengen,
I lived in Europe and traveled extensively and the Schengen visa potentially cuts the paperwork and interviews at the borders but didn't make that much practical difference for a US citizen in Europe. YMMV.

br

They're wanting to keep certain individuals (like Americans) from moving there to permanently be a burden on their free healthcare system, welfare system, incredible vacation time and running up the price of European housing.

Home prices in most of the major European cities are already out of sight. $ $ $ $ !

Portugal may be one of the easiest places to get a Visa, but it's still going to cost dearly out of pocket.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/policies/...ghts/eu-citizenship/movement-and-residence_en

The right to free movement

All EU citizens and their family members have the right to move and reside freely within the EU. This is set forth in Article 21 of the Treaty on the functioning of the European Union.

Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union

The rules on free movement as established in Directive 2004/38 stipulate that

EU citizens can live in another EU country for up to three months without any requirements other than holding a valid identity card or passport
In order to stay in another EU country for more than three months, EU citizens have to meet certain conditions depending on their status (e.g. worker, student, etc.) and they may also be asked to comply with administrative formalities
EU citizens have the right to permanent residence in another EU country after legally residing there continuously for five years. They may be temporarily absent (e.g. for illness, study or posting)
Family members of EU citizens have the right to accompany or join them in another EU country. They may be asked to comply with certain conditions or formalities

Nothing to add but I have to admit I had absolutely no idea what Schengen meant. I'm quite certain I have never seen, heard, or read that term anywhere before this thread. I did a little reading and now I know.

You never know what you'll learn at this site.

Not sure what I mean by unconditionally, but assuming one is a citizen of a country in the Schengen Area, I would like to hear from folks that have moved to another to live and their experiences. Even better if one spouse was not a citizen of on.

Thanks

I used to live in the EU, and as stated above the answer is yes, for all EU countries not just the Schengen area. As always there are different tax regimes in the various countries and rules about tax residency, use of healthcare etc. My next neighbor has a place in France, as does a cousin of mine and her husband. They have always needed to maintain detailed records to ensure they remain tax resident in their country of choice.

EU citizen here. If you are an EU citizen, you can live in any other EU country. There might be some requirements to register, but those a) are not usually very burdensome, and b) you cannot be expelled for not meeting them. It's not quite as free as moving from one US state to another, but it's not terribly far off either.

There is a difference between Schengen and EU. Schengen has to do with free travel, but not free residency. As an example, an EU citizen cannot "just" move to Switzerland (Schengen, but not EU), although they can just enter as a tourist.

Thanks all for the comments. I am actually an EU Citizen (Amongst Others), I was unaware of the difference between the 2. DW is not though. But I do not think they will throw her out after 35 years of marriage. Thanks again.

Nothing to add but I have to admit I had absolutely no idea what Schengen meant. I'm quite certain I have never seen, heard, or read that term anywhere before this thread. I did a little reading and now I know.

You never know what you'll learn at this site.

Same here. I had not heard the term and wanted to learn about it. I guess it's sort of like moving state to state in the USA. YMMV

There is a difference between Schengen and EU. Schengen has to do with free travel, but not free residency. As an example, an EU citizen cannot "just" move to Switzerland (Schengen, but not EU), although they can just enter as a tourist.

I guess it's sort of like moving state to state in the USA. YMMV

No, it’s not the same. See the post from Optionality just above yours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom