Canada travel

If people can refrain from straying so far off topic, this could be an interesting and ongoing thread. If.

I love visiting Canada and have made friends there. I enjoy being a visitor and gladly spend a pile to do what I like to do.

As for crossing the border. Respect will get you a long ways. Eh'

..........Customs getting back to the US can be more of a hassle than entering Canada.
My experience, too. I lived in Metro Detroit most of my life and used to go to Canada occasionally. The customs guys in Canada were nearly always polite and professional, the US customs guys were often petty jerks. After 9/11 they really turned into jerks and I almost never went to Canada after that.

I had the same reaction at the New Brunswick border a couple of weeks ago. Not just firearms, but the guy reeled off a long list of things that might be considered "weapons" and wanted to know if I had any of them with me. In fact, he asked about weapons at least four times during the brief interview. Really had me wondering if something was going on. I'm well aware of the restrictions, and the severe penalties for violating them, so I would never bring something like that along. I hate to say it, but I have usually found the CBP officers much less friendly than their US counterparts. Professional, but quite stern.
What kind of things are considered weapons? I'm thinking if I drive over the border with my car, I have a couple things with box cutter blades, and a small folding tree/branch saw. Are they getting down to that level? These are things I know not to try to board an airplane with but don't give a second thought to keeping in my car to travel anywhere. I have never crossed a border in my car, but I'm thinking of a trip next year.

There is probably a list online somewhere, but I think the CBP agents must have discretion to allow or reject things.

What kind of things are considered weapons? I'm thinking if I drive over the border with my car, I have a couple things with box cutter blades, and a small folding tree/branch saw. Are they getting down to that level? These are things I know not to try to board an airplane with but don't give a second thought to keeping in my car to travel anywhere. I have never crossed a border in my car, but I'm thinking of a trip next year.

They asked me about pepper spray and tasers specifically. I don't think they are looking for typical tools that could be used as weapons. I would take the machete out of your trunk if you have one

Times have changed. The current thread about things that have changed since your childhood. Back in the day the border was much more laid back and porous. People lived on one side and worked on the other much more commonly. People met, dated and married those from the other side of the 'river'. Whether it was the Niagara, Detroit or St. Clair, or St. Mary's. My paternal GM was from Port Huron, Michigan. I used to walk, ride my bike or one time even hitchhike across the Bluewater bridge in Point Edward, ON and the Rainbow and Whirlpool Rapids bridges in Niagara Falls. Staff on both sides of the border were fine. All in all I find the US side more intense on entry but somewhat consistent with the current climate of the countries. And agree that it makes a difference whether you are a visitor or returnee.

We love traveling to the Sunshine Coast. We recently did a couple short trips and ArriveCAN was required at the border. On the way home we used our Global Entry card which worked really well (virtually no line or wait).

Canada has a Sunshine Coast?

I'm going to the one in Queensland.

I have family west of Toronto, Ontario and to visit, I prefer to fly into Buffalo, rent a car and drive across the border. There are several reasons. First, flights into Buffalo are often but not always cheaper that into Toronto. Second, Buffalo airport is modern yet small in size and, importantly, its car rental counters are a stone's throw from the baggage carousels and you pick up your car in the same building! I remember when many airports were that way but now, most have off-site rental locations. Returning the car is just as easy. Third, I find flying into Toronto's main airport (Pearson) to be far more of a hassle. Canadian Customs and Immigration in the airport are often crowded with overseas visitors and you will have to go through US Customs and Immigration (in addition to Canada's TSA equivalent) prior to your return flight to the US - this is common at many large Canadian airports BTW.

After you leave Buffalo airport, you have a choice of three border bridges to use and there are websites with real time info on the shortest crossing times. Usually, I prefer the Peace Bridge because I'm used to it and it puts you right on the QEW (freeway to Toronto.) If you choose to stop in Niagara Falls Ontario, the Rainbow Bridge may be a better choice. As others have stated, the mandatory use of the ArriveCan app may speed the border crossing slightly.

I guess the main drawback to Buffalo is the winter weather can be nasty. But that can also apply to Toronto although somewhat less so.

They asked me about pepper spray and tasers specifically. I don't think they are looking for typical tools that could be used as weapons. I would take the machete out of your trunk if you have one
A machete is fine IF it's going to be used to cut brush. IF you say it's for protection, then it's a weapon.

We entered Canada after we did the required app. The Customs official asked for our passports and asked if we had any guns. Then let us go!
ONE question was all, a record setting event. :D

I have a machete in my van at all times , never an issue entering either Country.

Last edited:
A machete is fine IF it's going to be used to cut brush. IF you say it's for protection, then it's a weapon.

Although this makes sense to me have you actually had this discussion with the border agents?

US TSA can't even agree within one airport if toothpaste is dangerous. :)

Something I learned this week ... if you get Covid and are planning to visit Canada any time in the next 6 months, make sure you get a PCR test showing that you were positive.

If you are a fully vaccinated traveler, there is a 5% chance that you will be selected for random Covid testing upon arrival in Canada. It is the traveler's responsibility to schedule and complete the test with the approved provider by the end of the day after arrival. This applies whether you arrive by air or cross the land border. If you test positive, even if fully vaccinated, you are required to isolate for 10 days and may not leave Canada except by private car during that time.

You are exempted from testing if you:
provide a positive COVID-19 molecular test result, conducted at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before entering Canada. A positive antigen test is not accepted.

So, since there is a known risk of continuing to test positive long after recovery, it seems like a very good idea to bring proof of recovery with you.

Here are the details on arrival testing: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...accinated-travellers-entering-canada#arrivals

Although this makes sense to me have you actually had this discussion with the border agents?

US TSA can't even agree within one airport if toothpaste is dangerous. :)

I did have a discussion with the border agents last time we drove to Canada (to visit family who live on the Sunshine Coast actually). One of the things we brought was a hunting bow that they'd had to leave behind at Christmas. I mentioned it when they asked about weapons because something that's designed to kill sure seems like a weapon to me, but nope, no concern there.

Definitely do not mention it if you are bringing a favorite cheese for your Canadian family though. That really worries them.

Thank you Braumeister and all those who contributed their trip descriptions. Our roomie took his 32' MH and Subaru out to St. Johns and said it was beyond delightful and well worth the trouble. Thanks for the ALCAN trip description, and also the Vancouver Island information. These are all on our lists.
I took my brother back home to BC this year and had a very similar experience with the app. It was easy enough to drive him to the nearest bus stop and drop him off and return the few miles to the US.
Our new home will be 25 minutes from the Black Ball ferry in Port Angeles and we plan to pick apart Vancouver island with several trips, with and without the big RV. We are 42' overall and the one way fare is $227 for that, or $95 for <18' .

Just returned to the States after a great bike ride on the Icefields Parkway, Jasper to Banff. And a little beyond. Biking or driving the Rockies is amazing.

Border crossings both ways were easy. Border gaurds on both sides were polite but direct with their questions. USA gaurds asked if we had fresh fruit. We made sure we ate the last orange a few miles b4 the border. Thinking we may have consumed it in the car, he asked about the peel. We had placed it in a trash container. We were good to go but it was all business.

DH and I will be driving to Quebec City in September. What advice do people have about changing currency? We will use VISA if possible, but one never knows. Thanks!

DH and I will be driving to Quebec City in September. What advice do people have about changing currency? We will use VISA if possible, but one never knows. Thanks!

Been a while, but the major entry points have duty free shops which have money changing facilities which are reasonably fair about exchange rates - last time I went. I'd be okay with changing money there. As many have pointed out, CCs are all you need for most things BUT, it never hurts to have some cash. In AND out - changing money might cost you a TOTAL of 3 % (My best SWAG.) You never know when cash might just be king still. When you need it and don't have it, it's a lot worse than having it and not needing it. YMMV

Last edited:

We just used our cap one cards. No currency exchange fee and a good exchange rate. Canada seemed more on board with tap to pay too.

It was nice to have a little cash.

We just got some at a major Canada based bank ATM. They are plentiful, and there was a very small fee ($1.10 USD?) Not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom