Canadian food

Not sure if I love poutine but, as mentioned earlier, haven't tried it. Do love my Canadian friends here though for sure:)
+1

DW and I love our escape the heat road trips to rural Canada, far from the big cities and tourist traps. We have never failed to find plenty of good food. When in doubt we look for a Tim Horton.

We brought a jar of Saskatoon berry jam home from our last trip. We have probably eaten and enjoyed poutine but did not know what it was at the time. I think It's like what might be called hearty home fries in other places.:)

I must be odd man out. I've only had poutine once while on a business trip but I thought it was great!

confession though...it was eaten after a very long and liberal happy hour...so maybe my memory isn't so good.

I must be odd man out. I've only had poutine once while on a business trip but I thought it was great!

confession though...it was eaten after a very long and liberal happy hour...so maybe my memory isn't so good.

Yeah, could be. I have a vague memory of loving one of those fried onion blossoms at Outback under similiar circumstances....

I think for me a lot of the attraction is the name - poutine. Have the same sort of attraction to puttanesca, as in spagetti alla puttanesca.

Did a little more looking and sonufagun! there is some poutine in Portland!
Portland Poutine

Various reviews of the Portland purveyors indicate that either the gravy is odd or the fresh cheese curd (squeaky cheese! Yay!) doesn't melt properly. Still, might be worth a try - lots closer, though I wouldn't get to try Saskatoon berries.

I think for me a lot of the attraction is the name - poutine. Have the same sort of attraction to puttanesca, as in spagetti alla puttanesca.

Did a little more looking and sonufagun! there is some poutine in Portland!
Portland Poutine

Various reviews of the Portland purveyors indicate that either the gravy is odd or the fresh cheese curd (squeaky cheese! Yay!) doesn't melt properly. Still, might be worth a try - lots closer, though I wouldn't get to try Saskatoon berries.
The letter "P" is the only thing these two dishes have in common.

The letter "P" is the only thing these two dishes have in common. .

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

FYI I like pasta putenesca, never had poutine as that was an Eastern Canadian dish when I grew up. I did eat fries with gravy though and would prefer that over ketchup to this day. It is comfort food. Just as is greutzwurst News from Peef & Lo: Nothing like the smell of gritzwurst on the weekend... which I grew up with. And yes my family made it with the whole hogs head :sick:. Fried and then served with ketchup for breakfast. Yum :dance:!!

DD

The best Canadian food will probably never be tasted by Canadians, much less others. Some not mentioned in this thread:

• Fiddleheads: see Fiddlehead fern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia While not exclusively Canuck, most are here.
  • Roast Musk Ox: only available in the territories, tastes great
  • Caribou sausage: see above
  • Arctic Char: a salmon like fish that lives in the high arctic
Some we share with others:

• Maple Syrup: also available in New England
  • Bison (plains buffalo): bred in captivity in western Canada (and I suspect the USA)
  • Pacific salmon:
I think I missed quite a few.

I edited my post (after DblDoc quoted me) because my words were not appropriate. To each his own, apologies if anyone was offended.

I've tried both, enjoyed one. My daughter lived on both countries and ate each once, and repeated one many times. Cheers

I edited my post (after DblDoc quoted me) because my words were not appropriate. To each his own, apologies if anyone was offended.

I've tried both, enjoyed one. My daughter lived on both countries and ate each once, and repeated one many times. Cheers

Edited your quote to reflect your changes. Wasn't offended, all is good.

DD

The best Canadian food will probably never be tasted by Canadians, much less others. Some not mentioned in this thread:

• Fiddleheads: see Fiddlehead fern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia While not exclusively Canuck, most are here.

• Bison (plains buffalo): bred in captivity in western Canada (and I suspect the USA)
  • Pacific salmon:

I have had all above but the Musk Ox. Also had deer, elk, moose, bear, and all 5 species of salmon. Smoked arctic char is sublime - if you can find and afford it!

DD

• Pacific salmon:
You forgot french fries with mayo.

• Pacific salmon:

I've had them all except the musk ox.
You forgot ostrich (also bred on the prairies), cod tongues (Newfoundland) and butter tarts!

Not sure about Canadien food, but their beer is awesome! :)

I've had them all except the musk ox.
You forgot ostrich (also bred on the prairies), cod tongues (Newfoundland) and butter tarts!

Oh, that reminds me...we can't forget the raisin tarts! YUM!

And I don't think anyone mentioned the ever-popular french fries with vinegar.

omni

I live close to Halifax and have never had KOD, Pizza Corner (which KOD is part of) is really post-bar food. There are many delicious meals in Canada / Nova Scotia / Halifax. I must say however, people who like Donairs LOVE them. And poutine made well (in Montreal for example) is good greasy food but you can easily die happy without the experience ;).

A Montreal bagel, from the traditional bakers, still hot from the brick oven, you will die a bit happier after that experience ;)

While looking up donairs (They sound good to me), I ran across what may be the ultimate Canadian food. Donair Poutine.

While looking up donairs (They sound good to me), I ran across what may be the ultimate Canadian food. Donair Poutine.
It'll never replace Beaver-flavored yogurt.

Poutine probably ranks up there as some of the world's most potent Heart Attack Food, but is quite exciting to try when in, say, Montreal just for the novelty!

I think Whole Foods in the States has poutine on Canada Day. In any case, you can get cheese curds there which you would just have to add to French fries and gravy to make do-it-yourself poutine. :)

I live close to Halifax and have never had KOD, Pizza Corner (which KOD is part of) is really post-bar food. There are many delicious meals in Canada / Nova Scotia / Halifax. I must say however, people who like Donairs LOVE them. And poutine made well (in Montreal for example) is good greasy food but you can easily die happy without the experience ;).

A Montreal bagel, from the traditional bakers, still hot from the brick oven, you will die a bit happier after that experience ;)
Hi RocketGirl, welcome to the forum. If you have a moment stop by the Hi I am ... and tell us a little about yourself.

Back
Top Bottom