Cancer screening.. what turned out to be important

Spouse let me go first... one of the only times in my life when our relative age difference was not held against me.

Now she's dragging her feet until she has the "free time" to "get around to it". She's been so obscenely healthy for her entire life that she has a tough time surrendering herself to the authorities for the "inconvenience".

The problem with many cancers is that by the time you don't feel well, the chances of curing it are much harder. My sister only felt her colon cancer because she was fortunate enough to take an airplane flight and the pressure changes gave her cramps.

Three years ago the healthiest woman I have ever known died of cancer. She was a nutritionist and ate organic etc. My friend who just died was the most religious person I have ever known. My attitude now is that being healthy or praying is not going to protect you from the big C... :(

I also feel that not being checked is showing your spouse that you don't love them...that you're willing to leave them a widow because of your stubbornness.

I also feel that not being checked is showing your spouse that you don't love them...that you're willing to leave them a widow because of your stubbornness.
In my case that'd be "widower"... I've already been declared [-]full of it[/-] nearly polyp-free and awarded five years' parole contingent upon good behavior.

I've told spouse not to worry about me-- if she croaks before I do then I'll just find some other hot chick to replace her.

Once she runs out of ammo I think she'll be in a more receptive frame of mind.

Last edited:
Good luck Brat!

My initial dermatology visit in 2005 detected several cancerous lesions. Two of them were melanoma.

After the initial shock and multiple visits since, I continue to visit the doctor regularly and am getting used to the process. I've had 20+ excisions to date, but know that I will probably have more in the future.

I had been getting very cavalier about mamms and paps, I have had no issues not self induced (falling from a chair used as a ladder); I had screenings, blood tests routinely for years and until last month none indicated potential concerns.. why bother. Frankly I was shocked!

Last edited:
Good luck, Brat. Glad to see that you have such a positive attitude. Have all of my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Brat, DW is a breast cancer survivor thanks to early detection. I say survivor because her last surgery was 1986 (double mastectomy). She waited 10 years for reconstruction because it may have prevented future detection. I'm a survivor of AAA due to a screening. I've posted about this in the past but will say again, early discovery is the key. Please everyone, get those screenings. Best wishes to you Brat.

Back
Top Bottom