Capital One is really in my doghouse.

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
They are already in my doghouse and now more so.

Tonight, they sent me a text message about suspicious activity.
The only suspicious activity is that I logged in and changed my email address.

Instead of calling me, they gave me their generic 800 number to call them.
Once I do call I am told there is a 20 minute wait. Uh no. Forget it. I hang up.

Just so idiotic.

When Chase thought I had suspicious activity, they sent me a text asking whether it was me or not and I was to respond YES or NO. Easy.

A few years ago when someone used my Fidelity Rewards credit card to do some online shopping, Elan called me.

Last edited:
Mine too. I had them years ago, and they really pissed me off. I used the card mostly for my hobby business, and generally charged stuff from only 3 merchants, USPS, a wire supplier in Rhode Island and a supplier in Germany. I can't tell you how many times the declined paying these vendors, and inactivated my card, only to have me call them tell them to NOT decline them, I have done business with these merchants for DECADES, once had them tell me that they would list these 3 merchants on my "file" so this didn't happen again, and then, for sure, orders didn't come through and the vendors told me that the number was declined. SO done with them.

They keep sending me credit card offers and I just chuckle.

"What's in your wallet??"

"Umm. NOT a Capitol One card!!!!"

Stay way from them, they suck.

This text was also 8 hours late. Imagine how much damage a real scammer would have done. LOL.

They are already in my doghouse and now more so.

Tonight, they sent me a text message about suspicious activity.
The only suspicious activity is that I logged in and changed my email address.

Instead of calling me, they gave me their generic 800 number to call them.
Once I do call I am told there is a 20 minute wait. Uh no. Forget it. I hang up.

Just so idiotic.

When Chase thought I had suspicious activity, they sent me a text asking whether it was me or not and I was to respond YES or NO. Easy.

A few years ago when someone used my Fidelity Rewards credit card to do some online shopping, Elan called me.

I don't understand your complaint. Surely you wanted to be alerted if something major like your email address had changed, in case someone else was hijacking your account? But since it was you who had changed it, that you would just delete the message and carry on. Only contacting the credit card company if you had not initiated the change.

Most people would ignore any incoming call from credit card company about suspicious activity, etc. thinking it was someone trying to scam them or obtain some information to further some other identity theft.

I don't understand your complaint. Surely you wanted to be alerted if something major like your email address had changed, in case someone else was hijacking your account? But since it was you who had changed it, that you would just delete the message and carry on. Only contacting the credit card company if you had not initiated the change.

Most people would ignore any incoming call from credit card company about suspicious activity, etc. thinking it was someone trying to scam them or obtain some information to further some other identity theft.

It wasn't just a notification. Apparently the account is locked.

Account transactions are restricted to protect you.

My beef with Cap One is that there doesn't seem to be any way to add 2-factor authentication to their web page login.

Or am I just missing it?

I've had great experience with Capital One.

And I receive emails constantly about my various accounts being compromised that are scams. I just delete them--never opened or answered.

I too have had a great experience with Cap One. They alerted me to a double charge, which was in fact fraudulent! I bought an office chair from a new vendor which turned out to be non existent. They must have captured my number. Cap One cleaned it up and FedEx'd me a new card the next day. The overseas call center folks spoke very good English too.

It wasn't just a notification. Apparently the account is locked.

Account transactions are restricted to protect you.

That was my issue as well. They would lock my account multiple times just because the SAME merchants were billing to it, even after I called them MULTIPLE times and told them that I did, and would be doing business again with them. Nothing changed. Ineptitude on a cosmic level. I'll have nothing to do with them.....

That was my issue as well. They would lock my account multiple times just because the SAME merchants were billing to it, even after I called them MULTIPLE times and told them that I did, and would be doing business again with them. Nothing changed. Ineptitude on a cosmic level. I'll have nothing to do with them.....

I also received an email.
Again telling me to call them.
They should be reaching out to me.
That's how other credit cards have handled it.
No way am I going to waste time being on hold.

I don't need this credit card.

I've had my Cap 1 card for years and have no concerns. I use it once every 3 months to keep it active but the 1.5% cash back has been replaced by my 2% cash back PayPal Syncrony card. I have no concerns with Capital one other than the .5% difference.

I get calls from Capital One on both my smartphones and my home phone.
I don't answer if it isn't a number I recognize.
They left me a voicemail with a number to their Fraud department and with a case number.

So, I decide to call back.
I gave them the case #, the last 4 digit of my SSN, and my birthdate.
But that wasn't enough.
After a few minutes on hold, the CSR told me that they need further verification at which point I told her enough was enough.
Unless they give me a good reason for it, I told them to forget it.
I don't care if I can't use their credit card.

Dealing with most companies now by phone will put them in your dog house. They do NOT want you to call them. It costs them too much money. So, there is ridiculous wait time and then spotty service. I've been promised the moon and delivered Limburger cheese.

Don't know if Capital One is worse than the others, but my experience is that the longer the call-wait, the worse the overall company experience will be. As always, YMMV.

I've been with Cap 1 for well over a decade now, and while they aren't perfect, they are well ahead of any other CC company, IMO.....

They do send out some stupid a** alerts sometime... Like, did you notice your electric bill is $15 higher than last month. Then they will ask if this notice was useful or not....:facepalm:' I can only wish my electric bill only varied $15 between months.

Last edited:
I also received an email.
Again telling me to call them.
They should be reaching out to me.
That's how other credit cards have handled it.
No way am I going to waste time being on hold.

I don't need this credit card.
I did not realize they had also restricted transactions. I might assume there is a elevated degree of fraud after this scenario happens for them to flag it for confirmation.

I am curious about other credit cards calling you directly, as that would be another avenue to scam people. It is easy to spoof caller-id, so I thought the general rule was to never click-on-email links, give any personal information to someone who has called you, etc. That it is much better for the consumer to place the phone call.

I agree that computer voice response systems that screen calls are horrible and waiting for an actual agent is horrible.

But I would not be so quick to dismiss how this is being handled. There have been some horrible attacks where people have gotten their phone numbers stolen (SIM hack) and/or in conjunction with their email accounts being hacked which allowed the perpetrator to wreak havoc on the target person's life.

I did not realize they had also restricted transactions. I might assume there is a elevated degree of fraud after this scenario happens for them to flag it for confirmation.

I am curious about other credit cards calling you directly, as that would be another avenue to scam people. It is easy to spoof caller-id, so I thought the general rule was to never click-on-email links, give any personal information to someone who has called you, etc. That it is much better for the consumer to place the phone call.

I agree that computer voice response systems that screen calls are horrible and waiting for an actual agent is horrible.

But I would not be so quick to dismiss how this is being handled. There have been some horrible attacks where people have gotten their phone numbers stolen (SIM hack) and/or in conjunction with their email accounts being hacked which allowed the perpetrator to wreak havoc on the target person's life.

The easier we make it for ourselves the easier we make it for scammers, etc. See my tag line - again. YMMV

Capital One simply decided to flag my account because I changed the email address on my account.
Something I have done with my other credit cards without a problem.
There was no fraud.
I am not sure why Capital One decided to take the opportunity to really p*ss me off a second time.
The first time was a couple of years ago when with their Savor credit card.

I am curious about other credit cards calling you directly, as that would be another avenue to scam people.
The credit card that called was Elan aka Fidelity Reward VISA.
They called me and asked me if I made purchases at two stores in Alabama and I said no.
They told me that they would send me a new credit card in the mail.

Chase texted me.
They did it today when I tried to buy a $500 Visa gift card at Walgreens.
They declined the transaction.

Your experience has been very different than mine. Capital One is my favorite card. I have had it several years and never ever received a call from them. I have received texts or emails from them regarding suspicious activity. Usually it's a simple "do you recognize this activity? click yes or no". A few times, in the middle of an on-line purchase, I've gotten a pop up screen that says to enter a code emailed to me before the transaction could be finalized. It's been easy and fast.

I honestly don't think I would answer a phone call or click on a link in an email that appeared to be from my credit card company.

Back
Top Bottom