Car Indulgences - Driving 3 Cars

Am down to three, from five. 2012 caddy, 16 Colorodo, 99 Suburban. They get driven regularly.

We have a three-car garage so it's necessary for us to have three cars, right? The third car was previously a 2008 Miata but we sold that a couple of years ago and replaced it with a 2019 Mustang GT convertible. Still fun to drive and much more quiet and comfortable that the Miata. It gets driven several times a week March thru November but we take the collision off in the winter months and cover it up.

Beginning to think we might be a trend setter in the family as DD and family and DS and family recently added Mustang convertibles to their fleets as well.

Last edited:
Fun car is a 2005 Mustang Convertible. Mint condition, red with balck interior. Drive it about once per week.

I've had maybe 50 cars in my lifetime and all kinds, from Corvettes to diesel sedans.

I'd like another Vette though. Maybe soon.....

From 8 down to 3 since my husband's illness and recovery. 2014 F250 Platinum with only 5,000 miles due to a company vehicle, 2017 Platinum Expedition, 2021 C8. C8 is best car I've ever driven. 8 car garage with 2 bays as office/wood shop/metal shop.

Great topic :)

Have had a few dozen cars - most for the reason of needing suitable transportation. All makes and models. Some standouts - for various reasons - listed by year, not purchase year:

1965 VW - awful little car, but simple
1967 VW - great little car and simple
1972 Datsun 1200 - fun, simple little car
1975 Corvette - poorly built, poorly supported, terrible car
1976 BMW 2002 - interesting car, but extremely prone to rust
1980 VW diesel Rabbit - great MPG
1981 VW diesel Rabbit - great MPG, but not suitable for Colorado
1982 VW Rabbit - way better solution for Colorado
198x Audi Fox wagon - great landscape gravel car, drove it hard and sold for more than paid
1980 Audi 5000 - great driving car, but very unreliable
1981 BMW 528i - great car
1984 MB 300 TD wagon - same admonition on all MB products
1985 MB 300 Turbo Diesel Coupe - really nice, great car, but expensive parts (I would never own a MB if it was in warranty, or not doing the maintenance myself)
1991 MB 350 SDL - same admonition on all MB products
2000 Suburban
2001 Tahoe

etc ...

Now:
2010 Saab 9-3 Convertible - great, trouble-free car!
2017 Chevy Silverado High Country - great, trouble-free truck for pulling boat
2021 Subaru Ascent - great so far, very interesting, a bit odd, but very nice

So, thoughts on specialty cars:
Porsche - an old one would be interesting and fun to maintain, but limited utility - and, I have a "value quotient" that doesn't work well with Porsche, BMW and MB - I like them all, but they don't possess the "value" that I grew as a personality component over the years - ex: we really wanted a 2021 BMW X5 PHEV, but ended up with Subaru Ascent - 1/2 price, and does the same basic things, but not as nice ... value circle :)

Corvette - new mid engine way nice, and likely very reliable and not junk compared to previous model I had - I might bite on a convertible version when the higher powered version comes out ...

Anything in my future other than heavy duty trucks and sports cars will need to be PHEV - not all electric, but certainly partially.

From 8 down to 3 since my husband's illness and recovery. 2014 F250 Platinum with only 5,000 miles due to a company vehicle, 2017 Platinum Expedition, 2021 C8. C8 is best car I've ever driven. 8 car garage with 2 bays as office/wood shop/metal shop.
What, no 63 anymore?

Great topic :)

Corvette - new mid engine way nice, and likely very reliable and not junk compared to previous model I had
Really.... What model was that? I've had C4's, C5's, C6's and never owned a "junk" Vette. Not even close. Only time I ever had one in the shop was a factory recall for a roof panel replacement.

Last edited:
I've had 3 or 4 cars for the last I-don't-know-how-long. I have rebuilt, restored, and built from scratch. it is a hobby. Most of the time I have one toy car on the road, plus one I am working on plus my 2 DD's. Nothing wrong with a hobby, even if is just driving a fun car.

Did you buy the watch yet:confused::confused:

I drive my BMW Z4 every day and love it.

Really.... What model was that? I've had C4's, C5's, C6's and never owned a "junk" Vette. Not even close. Only time I ever had one in the shop was a factory recall for a roof panel replacement.
I had a 1975 Corvette, it was junk - a Malibu with a fiberglass body. Kinda fast in a straight line, went around corners on the door handles…

I had a 1975 Corvette, it was junk - a Malibu with a fiberglass body. Kinda fast in a straight line, went around corners on the door handles…

The current Vette finally got it right from all aspects.

Like some others have said - our car numbers are limited by garage/driveway space. We currently have 2 small suv's and a full size pick up. We have 4 drivers. They boys, nominally, share the old F-150 we picked up used. But one of the sons has a job close enough he often rides his bicycle to work. We have a two car garage where the RAV and Forester get parked. The truck is in the driveway. We've been toying with buying a beater van but one of the issues is where we would park it. If we park it in the driveway we'd have to move it to get out of the garage. Our neighbors mostly use their garages for anything but cars - so street parking is at a premium.

A neighbor up the street who has the same model house as us (2 car garage, decent sized driveway) first expanded his driveway so he could park 2-3 cars in the driveway and still (tight) get cars out of the garage. Then they added an extra curb cut and shed roof to put another car in their side yard. That wasn't enough... so they recently added a 2 story addition where the ground floor is a 4 car garage (with the lifts so it's 2 car sized). I've counted 10 cars at the house... Truck to haul stuff, old vette, old porsche, old truck, mercedes sedan, bmw 7 series, mini cooper, jeep, vw, and some old roadster type car. He also has a big trailer that he hauls the cars around. I've got a game with myself to see how may cars I can see at a time... Harder since he put in the garage with lifts in the back. But if the regular garage is open, not unusual to be able to see 6 or 7 cars.

Like some others have said - our car numbers are limited by garage/driveway space. We currently have 2 small suv's and a full size pick up. We have 4 drivers. They boys, nominally, share the old F-150 we picked up used. But one of the sons has a job close enough he often rides his bicycle to work. We have a two car garage where the RAV and Forester get parked. The truck is in the driveway. We've been toying with buying a beater van but one of the issues is where we would park it. If we park it in the driveway we'd have to move it to get out of the garage. Our neighbors mostly use their garages for anything but cars - so street parking is at a premium.

A neighbor up the street who has the same model house as us (2 car garage, decent sized driveway) first expanded his driveway so he could park 2-3 cars in the driveway and still (tight) get cars out of the garage. Then they added an extra curb cut and shed roof to put another car in their side yard. That wasn't enough... so they recently added a 2 story addition where the ground floor is a 4 car garage (with the lifts so it's 2 car sized). I've counted 10 cars at the house... Truck to haul stuff, old vette, old porsche, old truck, mercedes sedan, bmw 7 series, mini cooper, jeep, vw, and some old roadster type car. He also has a big trailer that he hauls the cars around. I've got a game with myself to see how may cars I can see at a time... Harder since he put in the garage with lifts in the back. But if the regular garage is open, not unusual to be able to see 6 or 7 cars.

Well that helps explain that... The C3's in the mid 70's were a real POS. The 75 model may have been the worse. Terribly under powered (165 to 205 HP) and I think it was the first year to require unleaded gas. They still had not figured out how to build and tune unleaded engines back then.

The first model C3's (68, 69 and even 70) were outstanding, for that time period.

Last edited:
What, no 63 anymore?

When my husband got sick he was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up all the vettes. He suddenly decided to sell his. I didn't want him to feel bad so I sold mine too. Only thing I kept was the 2014. When I decided to get the C8 a friend wanted the 2014. I was going to keep it but decided not to. My husband has lost all interest in any of the vehicles. I ordered the C8 in Nov. 2019 and received it the first week of Jan. 2021. It is one of the first 2021's built in Dec. 2020. I tired to send you & AJA a pic when I got it but for some reason couldn't post the pic anywhere but my profile photo album.

Get the 911 Cab. You only live once.

I have the AMG 53 too, but I got the convertible.

Last edited:
Our third car , probably the cheapest , and easiest cars to fix up . A Mustang , they are for sale everywhere low prices , enjoyable and easy to fix up. We. Have a 2002 V6 Coupe just turned 90,000 miles 5 speed . Originally paid 2400.00 for it from the original owner . We joined the local Mustang club and have enjoyed turning the little car into a cool car .

The current Vette finally got it right from all aspects.
I don’t doubt it, with the C8. A buddy of mine has a C7, and it’s a very nice car as well.

Never had two cars. I can only drive one at a time. If my Toyota ever needs repairs, Frank will drive me wherever I want to go until mine gets out of the shop.

When my husband got sick he was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up all the vettes. He suddenly decided to sell his. I didn't want him to feel bad so I sold mine too. Only thing I kept was the 2014. When I decided to get the C8 a friend wanted the 2014. I was going to keep it but decided not to. My husband has lost all interest in any of the vehicles. I ordered the C8 in Nov. 2019 and received it the first week of Jan. 2021. It is one of the first 2021's built in Dec. 2020. I tired to send you & AJA a pic when I got it but for some reason couldn't post the pic anywhere but my profile photo album.
I don't think I've seen one on the road yet.... Sure sounds like you got one of the first ones alright.... I'll bet it handles and performs different with that mid engine design.... Sure looks different than the C7....

Congratulations....

I bought a corvette in 2001. Drove it to work most of 3 seasons for 14 years. I’ve probably driven it only 1000 miles since I retired in 2014. I drive my truck 95% of the time. I’m going to sell the corvette - either outright or trade for a new Ford Bronco. Corvette is too hard to get in and out of, and I can’t drive it in winter or into the hinterlands.

Yeah, after getting our first SUV in 1999, we have never gone back to anything lower riding. I rented a few sedans, but hated them and felt like my butt was dragging down the highway, plus couldn’t see around other vehicles. These days we won’t even rent non-suv cars - I pay up for intermediate suvs.

Back
Top Bottom