Car service recommendation

For those who know about car maintenance, is there a maximum interval you think we should go before service - is once a year or 5K miles, whichever happens first? Or is sticking to the 5K miles ok?

none of my vehicles (four) get driven more than 5k miles a year

i do an oil change once a year whether or not they need it

I use synthetic oil and the recommended interval for a change is 10,000 miles or one year. Being somewhat cautious I do 8000 miles and ten months whichever comes first.

I’d really like to see an operational time gauge for oil changes rather than miles.

I’d really like to see an operational time gauge for oil changes rather than miles.

Most vehicles these days tell you when to change the oil. I bought a 3-year old car in March that was at 100% oil life. It took 11,000 kms for the computer to suggest changing the oil.

The maintenance minder oil systems are far better than hours (which is better than miles). They use hours and conditions (cold starts, hot starts, hot/cold extremes, rpm, etc) to predict when the oil should be changed.

-ERD50

Time is not nearly as important as mileage or hours of engine operation. In fact many manufacturers advise you NOT change the oil of a new vehicle until X miles, regardless of how much time that takes, so as to let special new-engine oil additives do their job.

What part(s) did I miss?

See my original post (below). The bold text is what you didn't seem to consider.

"Over time", chemical changes and wear from heating up the oil and cooling it back down repeatedly (e.g. starting and stopping a engine) along with condensation (water) buildups and engine deposits from the combustion process (burning gas), etc, all contribute to the break down oil. Mileage is very important and the typical measure but time "can" become a real factor.

Higher operating temps, higher compression, dusty air, etc, all help accelerate that breakdown.

Your response (below) to my original comments (above) seems to just consider that "starting the engine and bringing it up to operating temperature is what breaks down the oil"

So, starting the engine and bringing it up to operating temperature is what breaks down the oil. Assuming the car is operated daily in this fashion, that would mean 365 instances before needing an oil change (according to legend). It would take maybe ten years before that happens with our vehicle

EOJ

Last edited:
Cat-Guy, I see where RonBoyd is confused. There are a few ways to read your post:

you bolded like this,

"Over time", chemical changes and wear from heating up the oil and cooling it back down repeatedly (e.g. starting and stopping a engine)

But I read that as:

"Over time", chemical changes and wear from heating up the oil and cooling it back down repeatedly (e.g. starting and stopping a engine)

IOW, the engine has to cool back down and then be started to heat/cool the oil. That takes time - it could only occur a few times a day at max, and will happen far less often for a low mileage vehicle.

RonBoyd, I think, is asking about the time factor itself "Over time," regardless the number of starts.

And I think I understand that with few starts, if the oil has taken up condensation or developed acids/contamination, that that oil just sitting in the engine can cause some problems. That's the "over time" part. Most manuals I've seen recc a one year interval if mileage or 'minder' has not triggered.

-ERD50

:LOL: No problem, I can see it. I guess I thought I was speaking to another car-guy "type". :)

With my collectables (when I had a bunch of them) I'd seldom drive any of them more than a few thousand miles a year, (some of them far less) My rule with them, from years of experience, was to change the oil once a year. BTW, filters too.

Last edited:
I do once a year on my Miata which I put 1,-3,000 miles on. I time it with my state inspection so I don't have to make an extra trip. Most sources I've read say not to go longer than a year.

That's what I do with the pickup truck, which can sit for a week in the garage between outings.

And these sources are?

The owner's manual and the service manual. I figure the folks who designed, tested, and built the thing might know a tad more than people who learned about oil change intervals 50 years ago.:)

I figure the folks who designed, tested, and built the thing might know a tad more than people who learned about oil change intervals 50 years ago.:)

Wow, that was close. Glad I learned what I know about oil changes in the last 40 years. :)

As others have mentioned, if you take a lot of short trips and don't fully heat the oil enough to drive out condensation, the oil will start looking milky. Most manufacturers have two maintenance schedules - normal and severe service. Short trips drives you into the severe service category.

See my original post (below). The bold text is what you didn't seem to consider.

Originally Posted by Car-Guy
"Over time", chemical changes and wear from heating up the oil and cooling it back down repeatedly (e.g. starting and stopping a engine) along with condensation (water) buildups and engine deposits from the combustion process (burning gas), etc, all contribute to the break down oil. Mileage is very important and the typical measure but time "can" become a real factor.

Higher operating temps, higher compression, dusty air, etc, all help accelerate that breakdown.

Your response (below) to my original comments (above) seems to just consider that "starting the engine and bringing it up to operating temperature is what breaks down the oil"

Yes, you are correct. I did overlook (ignored, actually) the final sentence. I couldn't see how it applied to an engine sitting idle. And I still might be missing it.

As others have mentioned, if you take a lot of short trips and don't fully heat the oil enough to drive out condensation, the oil will start looking milky. Most manufacturers have two maintenance schedules - normal and severe service. Short trips drives you into the severe service category.

That's the beauty of these oil 'minders', they take all that into account, no guessing. -ERD50

That's the beauty of these oil 'minders', they take all that into account, no guessing. -ERD50
Yes. DW's Honda has one, my Toyota uses the old school method.

The maintenance minder oil systems are far better than hours (which is better than miles). They use hours and conditions (cold starts, hot starts, hot/cold extremes, rpm, etc) to predict when the oil should be changed.

-ERD50

Thanks.

Another thing to add to my list of features on my next car.

Well, I have 160,000 miles on my corolla and ive never taken my car in for "routine service." I change my oil and air filters. Other than that...no routine maintenance ever. This doesnt include random things that have broke...then I took my car in. But to take your car in for the recommended maintenance...yeah, no thanks.

Thanks.

Another thing ( maintenance minder oil systems ) to add to my list of features on my next car.

I'm not sure you can buy a new car w/o this feature. It's on our 2011 Honda CR-V, mid-range trim level.

Well, I have 160,000 miles on my corolla and ive never taken my car in for "routine service." I change my oil and air filters. Other than that...no routine maintenance ever. This doesnt include random things that have broke...then I took my car in. But to take your car in for the recommended maintenance...yeah, no thanks.

If you are talking about the routine maintenance listed in the owner's manual, you absolutely should be doing that. Things like coolant change, belt inspect/replace, brake flush if specified. You could probably get by with spark plugs until the Check Engine Light comes on and indicates a misfire if you really want to avoid routine maintenance. The CEL is very sensitive, and will trigger before you have any real issues. Not the 'dealer recommended' stuff though.

-ERD50

The last two auto that we have purchased have been brand new. That was a new experience for us.

In both cases, as we reached the end of the factory warranty mileage, the dealership told us that we could safely shift from 5,000 mile oil changes to 10,000 oil changes if we stick to only using synthetic lube.

So it is 10,000 mile oil changes for us, from now on.

:LOL: No problem, I can see it. I guess I thought I was speaking to another car-guy "type". :)

With my collectables (when I had a bunch of them) I'd seldom drive any of them more than a few thousand miles a year, (some of them far less) My rule with them, from years of experience, was to change the oil once a year. BTW, filters too.

Given your screen name, I’m going to follow your advice. Once per year or every 5K miles, whichever is more frequent. Thanks!

You are very welcome....Happy Motoring!

I can see I have to change my screen name to "smartest-guy-in-the-room."
Wrong thread.... Try that in "it's funny joke Thursday". :)

Last edited:
I can see I have to change my screen name to "smartest-guy-in-the-room."

I was thinking “Rocket Scientist”. But then I’d only be believed if it was a really tough problem. :D

Back
Top Bottom