Cataract Surgery Options

rjsob58

Dryer sheet aficionado
I am scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks for the right eye and the following week for the left and need to pick 1 of 3 options:
a) standard, medicare covers most of cost. Better vision, still need glasses.
b) Toric lens. $3k would still need reading glasses
c) Multifocal lens. $5k. No glasses needed.
Options b and c both include Lasix if needed for any additional corrections.

I've worn glasses for 40+ years. I have progressives now. The thought of no glasses is very appealing. The thought of something working MUCH better in my old age is equally appealing. I can definitely afford this, but have never spent this much on myself. Spent on family yes, but never just for me. Ordinarily I would do the math and go for the standard.

I'm not sure if I'm just looking for confirmation bias to splurge or someone to talk some sense into me. Any opinions, especially from those who have done option C would be greatly appreciated.

same problem coming up for me. wondering what the thoughts are for going with the upgraded option and if it was worth the money?

DW and I both had cataract surgery last November. Decided distance vision was most important so I didn't need glasses for driving, etc.

First eye done day 1 followed by 2nd eye next day. Went with standard procedure covered by medicare. I only need to use reading glasses for small print or computer use.

Can use cell phone without use of glasses and only slight blurriness. Decided extra cost for up close sharpness wasn't necessary in our case.

I had a retinal detachment in my left eye 20+ years ago. Had full buckle retinal repair.

A year later, had cataract surgery in that eye.

Another year later had cataract surgery in my right eye, only needed reading glasses.

Another year later, had a retinal tear in the right eye. Had full buckle retinal repair performed on the right eye also. However, the repair did not fully restore my vision, and lost some of what I gained with the earlier cataract surgery. Back to wearing glasses full-time. The right eye is not correctable to 20/20.

The point is that the elimination of glasses may or may not be a permanent condition. I had only one year of not needing to wear glasses. But, I'm thankful that I still have decent vision and much thinner lenses than I had for most of my life.

Last edited:
Why are you even hesitating? Do what will give you the best vision with the least problems going forward...

Heck, if I were poor and had to borrow money I would do that for the best vision.

BTW, whomever you leave your money too after you pass will waste it anyhow... so again, go with YOU...

I did toric lens. Great result; night driving is so much easier! However, near-vision is das kaput. Reading glasses are now required

I did standard and just need reading glasses. I’m leery about having one eye for reading and one for distance because not everyone can adjust to it.

Because I know 2 people that had cataract surgery and ended up worse off than before I scheduled mine 6 months apart. These 2 people lived in different cities and had great doctors. Neither of them ever had the other eye done.

I really don’t understand people having the surgery close together. Of course the doctor will try to talk you into getting them on whatever schedule they prefer.

Go for the option C if cost is not an issue. My wife had both eyes done 2 weeks apart last year. She opted for the laser BEST vision possible and is so happy she did. No glasses, great vision for distance, driving, reading and especially iPhone. No issues whatsoever.
It’s like a new lease on life. Go For It!

I did standard and just need reading glasses. I’m leery about having one eye for reading and one for distance because not everyone can adjust to it.

Because I know 2 people that had cataract surgery and ended up worse off than before I scheduled mine 6 months apart. These 2 people lived in different cities and had great doctors. Neither of them ever had the other eye done.

I really don’t understand people having the surgery close together. Of course the doctor will try to talk you into getting them on whatever schedule they prefer.
So your eyesight before was pretty good then? And how long ago did the people who ended up worse have theirs done? It would really help me to know.

I am one of those rare people who can do monovision--I use one eye for reading and one for distance. Back in the day when I wore contacts that is what I did and when I had Lasik I only did one eye-- just for distance and read out of my other eye. No problems. I now need cataract surgery and the doc said I was the perfect candidate for monovision--he will do one eye for distance and one for reading and Medicare will pay for it all

So your eyesight before was pretty good then? And how long ago did the people who ended up worse have theirs done? It would really help me to know.
I used reading glasses before and after the surgery. One person that had a bad outcome was only a year ago and the other 10 years ago. I heard that if you are having your eyes done differently you should try contacts like that first to make sure you can tolerate them because some people can’t.

i went with the multi-focal 3 years ago. cost then was 2K extra each eye. i had worn glasses for 50 years. so glad to not have to wear them anymore.

I had cataract and glaucoma surgery on March 7 (left) and March 21 (right). I was very near sighted (about -13 diopter in both eyes) and have a macular pucker in the right eye. With all my issues, my Ophthalmologist said I was only a candidate for standard lenses.

She corrected my vision to -2.5 diopter in both eyes. I bought a pair of -2.5 glasses from Amazon for $17 + shipping on March 21. They were delivered the next day.

Today, I got my new Rx glasses ($220) and a pair of computer glasses ($156) from Costco.

Life is back to normal now!

I had cataract surgery on one eye 2 months ago & will likely have it for the other eye in a year or 2, (don't need it yet). I got a toric lens (a curved lens) for $1,750, which was needed for astigmatism.

I didn't wear glasses before surgery (one eye was deteriorating, but the other eye was compensating) & don't need them now; the vision in my previous "bad eye" is now excellent. I may get glasses at some point for slightly improved distance vision for certain occasions, like baseball games.

Both my ophthalmologist & surgeon strongly advised against multifocal lenses -- as did several friends -- since some have difficulty adjusting to them.

I had a first-class NYC surgeon & the entire experience couldn't have been better. I paid for the toric lens, & Medicare covered everything else except for $95.

Check other threads too for various opinions.

I had cataract surgery on one eye 2 months ago & will likely have it for the other eye in a year or 2, (don't need it yet). I got a toric lens (a curved lens) for $1,750, which was needed for astigmatism.

I didn't wear glasses before surgery (one eye was deteriorating, but the other eye was compensating) & don't need them now; the vision in my previous "bad eye" is now excellent. I may get glasses at some point for slightly improved distance vision for certain occasions, like baseball games.

Both my ophthalmologist & surgeon strongly advised against multifocal lenses -- as did several friends -- since some have difficulty adjusting to them.

I had a first-class NYC surgeon & the entire experience couldn't have been better. I paid for the toric lens, & Medicare covered everything else except for $95.
Did it fix your astigmatism?

Near-sighted and wearing glasses since I was 9 (65 now). Had cataract surgery on both eyes a few months ago. No problems, medicare paid all, 20/20 distant vision, but now I need reading glasses.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom