Cataracts!

I had my cataract surgeries just one week apart since those were the only two appointments available. I was SO glad that I did this. Honestly I don't know why surgeons try to space them so far apart.

Neither Frank nor I could get that one lens removed from my glasses, so basically I had awful vision that whole week. But it was only a week.

may not have helped removing that eyeglass lens........I had my 2 surgeries a month apart. Removed the eyeglass lens after the first operation but you still get an image from the uncorrected eye which doesn't match the cataract-removed eyeball image either. Poor confused brain trying to reconcile the 2 images. I ended up putting a patch over the bad eye which helped but it was a looong month.

may not have helped removing that eyeglass lens........I had my 2 surgeries a month apart. Removed the eyeglass lens after the first operation but you still get an image from the uncorrected eye which doesn't match the cataract-removed eyeball image either. Poor confused brain trying to reconcile the 2 images. I ended up putting a patch over the bad eye which helped but it was a looong month.
I was scheduled for 2 weeks but my surgeon went home sick before he did me. Fully dilated for surgery they sent me home. I was able to get in a week later.

No, I couldn't remove a lens and see, I squinted for the week.

Last edited:
That's crummy that even with one eyeglasses lens removed, the brain could not reconcile the differences in what you were seeing with each eye!

I guess I was REALLY lucky to have those surgeries just one week apart. I would not have wanted them closer together, though, because I wanted to be sure I could see through the first eye, before having the second one done.

I just had the multifocal implants last month. I had reached a point where I could no longer stand wearing glasses and as an active person wanted to be glasses free. The new Pan Optix multifocal lens was just approved for use in this country about a year ago. They have been used in Europe for several years now and gave me perfect correction for distance, mid range and close up vision. I now have 20/20 vision in both eyes, can read the back of a pill bottle and have no need for glasses ever again. It's like having your 30 year old eyes back. The downside is this is an out of pocket elective surgery which is not covered by Medicare or insurance. It's not cheap...cost me $4900 per eye. The improvement to my everyday quality of life was worth every penny plus I never need another eye exam, lens, frames or concern about cataracts in the future. The surgery is similar to cataract surgery and is a breeze..takes about 20 minutes. Afterward you have a schedule to use eye drops for a month. Highly recommended!!

I just had the multifocal implants last month. I had reached a point where I could no longer stand wearing glasses and as an active person wanted to be glasses free. The new Pan Optix multifocal lens was just approved for use in this country about a year ago. They have been used in Europe for several years now and gave me perfect correction for distance, mid range and close up vision. I now have 20/20 vision in both eyes, can read the back of a pill bottle and have no need for glasses ever again. It's like having your 30 year old eyes back. The downside is this is an out of pocket elective surgery which is not covered by Medicare or insurance. It's not cheap...cost me $4900 per eye. The improvement to my everyday quality of life was worth every penny plus I never need another eye exam, lens, frames or concern about cataracts in the future. The surgery is similar to cataract surgery and is a breeze..takes about 20 minutes. Afterward you have a schedule to use eye drops for a month. Highly recommended!!

akrono,

These new multifocal lenses you have, did you get them as a result of cataracts or simply to be rid of the need to wear glasses?

omni

Both actually. I was developing cataracts which I would have to deal with at some point. I am 67 years old so it was just a matter of time. The main issue for me was the glasses which I have worn since my early 40's. It was to the point I was completely blind without the specs and wanted to be done with them!

I know two people well who had cataract surgery one could have done anything by day 2 and one has complications 3 years later. Both had "upgraded" lens. `

Curious about your husbands surgery, I also had RK around 87/88. It was a miracle at the time and lasted about 20 years before it started to deteriorate. I now wear hard contacts . . .

My doctor who did it at the time told me absolutely no contacts ever again for any reason and no one has suggested differently to me in the past 30years. . . . I wonder why. Mine was roughly in the early 90s.

The lens I had implanted is called Pan Optix and they are brand new to this country in the last year. Approved for use by the government last September. Of course, with any surgery there is always some chance of a complication. My experience has been outstanding and it will take another month or so for me to achieve the full effect since the eye is still healing and the brain has to reprogram itself to the new signals/images.

Measurements October 2nd, surgery October 14 - due to scarring of the cornea from shingles, the best I can hope for is a reduction in blurriness.

Everyone's case is unique depending on medical history. Best of luck and I hope all goes well for you!

Another thought...you might want to get a second opinion on this. I went to two doctors before taking the leap. Although more expensive, the doctor I chose was far more professional and his office was far more organized in handling my case. Glad I investigated options before making a final decision.

My doctor who did it at the time told me absolutely no contacts ever again for any reason and no one has suggested differently to me in the past 30years. . . . I wonder why. Mine was roughly in the early 90s.
At the time I had the RK surgery I was also told no more contacts ever again, this surgery would fix my vision forever. Over time I developed a shadow in both eyes which resulted in distorted vision so I had no choice since it was becoming more difficult to drive. Many RK patients are now having problems in later years, if you're not then count your blessings, you're very lucky.

My mom, who is 93, had cataract laser surgery last Fall. They were so thick that she could barely see anymore. When she was told she had to get it done, she was scared to death, as she'd never had any surgery at all. They assured her that she'd be fine, and they'd only do one eye at a time. She bit the bullet and had it done. She was so pleased with the outcome on the first eye, she could hardly wait for the second eye a week later.

She's worn glasses since her 20s, and now he has 20/20 vision in both eyes, and only wears pair of reading glasses to read the newspaper. Everyone that's mentioned their possible need of cataract surgery has gotten her "don't wait, just go get it done....there's nothing to it" lecture.

Back
Top Bottom