CDC has approved 4th vaccine dose for some people

I've had Moderna/Moderna/Moderna.

Only the second shot gave me much of a side effect, mostly just feeling extra tired the next day and a bit like I might be in the early stages of a cold. However, I only slept 4 hours, which probably made me feel more tired. But I was working from home and couldn't take a nap! Nothing but a little soreness at the injection site for the first and booster.

There is some evidence that being booster as in getting 3 total combined with having OM is the best of the best. So very little extra benefit in a fourth dose or a fifth dose.

I'm going to hold off on getting a second booster for now, because we are quite safe and wear masks. If we do a trip I may get it just prior to the trip.

I will avoid getting OM as much as possible, since there are possible side effects like long term effects, and recently a study came out showing an increase in diabetes once a person has OM.
Just safer to not get it.

I know I have become a bit immune to the news on Covid, But I looked this up while wondering about the 4th booster.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

What confuses me is, the webpage shows we just had a peak on Jan 14th 2022, that I seem to have been oblivious to, but the graph goes back to the peak 1 year ago and it was a 1/3 of what we just had and I didn't hear a big deal made of it. The graph and the hype don't seem to correlate. Not that any of it matters, I'm just glad the rate is down to 1/49th of what it was only
10 weeks ago.

I'm going to hold off on getting a second booster for now, because we are quite safe and wear masks. If we do a trip I may get it just prior to the trip.

I will avoid getting OM as much as possible, since there are possible side effects like long term effects, and recently a study came out showing an increase in diabetes once a person has OM.
Just safer to not get it.

I certainly didn't mean that we should go looking for OM but more then a few triple vaxxed people have gotten it!

I am going to hold off on the second booster for right now. April 15 will make 6 months since we received the booster. I am going to wait closer to summer activities that we have planned.

We have had Pfizer for the first three, but I think that I would like to get Moderna for the next booster, if possible

I think that the numbers have fallen, since many people are testing at home and not reporting it. My son and his DW (DW never had the covid vaccine) both got covid within the last couple of weeks. She is allergic to many things and was afraid to get the vaccine. She had a worse case than my DS, but no breathing problems and fairly low temperature. She was extremely tired, but she worked through it. She works from home. She also has anxiety and felt that it was better to work, then sit around worrying.

Just scheduled our second booster for April 9. Going with Moderna this time, first three Pfizer.

I've had Moderna/Moderna/Moderna.

Only the second shot gave me much of a side effect, mostly just feeling extra tired the next day and a bit like I might be in the early stages of a cold. However, I only slept 4 hours, which probably made me feel more tired. But I was working from home and couldn't take a nap! Nothing but a little soreness at the injection site for the first and booster.

I asked CVS all three times if they had Pfizer and they said "no" each time. SWAG is that the storage conditions mean that shipment to the Islands is problematic. No data on this, so YMMV. By the way, I wanted Moderna because of reports of slight advantages in efficacy scattered throughout the news. I've mentioned elsewhere that my booster gave me the only reaction to the vaccine. Don't think I would change vaccines just to avoid that. IF there were a proven improvement in protection, I'd gladly change brands. Still a couple of months out for vax 4 (boost 2). Stay safe and healthy!

I'll be able to online schedule my 4th dose April 7.

It's been almost 6 months since my booster. All three have been Pfizer. Switching to Moderna for booster #2, signed up for later this week.
Plenty of appointments available at the pharmacy, I don't think I'll be waiting in a "online appointments only" line like back in October for booster #1!

We got our second Moderna boost 5 days ago. I went in to our local Publix pharmacy to inquire about getting an appointment and they brought out the vaccine to give the boost while I was filling out the paperwork. I phoned my wife who came in a half hour later and they were ready for her too. Again there were no reactions except for a very mild sore shoulder for a couple of days. But then it is difficult to tell since the arthritis feels about the same. :D We don't want to take chances with being sick and especially don't want to deal with any long term side effects. I have enough health issues to deal with already and have less and less time to enjoy our retirement.
We still wear masks, social distance, and only go inside a building for groceries and Dr appt. Since very few people here in Florida wear masks anymore I started wearing a N95 with valve to make me more comfortable. I don't care about the inconsiderate. They make their own choices.

Cheers!

Got my second booster yesterday. Yay me. Amazing how it went from such long waits for the first and second jabs, then just a short wait of a few days to get an appointment for the first booster and then "same day" appointment for second booster.

Cheers
Big-Papa

I have had Moderna/Moderna/Moderna. When I got my booster I asked the pharmacist if there would be any advantage to switching to Pfizer for the booster. He recommended that I stay with Moderna since I had no undue reactions to it.

I was very enthusiastic about getting the initial vaccine. I spent hours online booking appointments for us as soon as the under age 70 group became eligible in our state. I am not so enthusiastic about the second booster. My understanding is that doesn’t prevent catching Covid and that the first booster still provides good protection against hospitalization and death. Now I can’t cite where I saw this information so feel free to contradict me. If the booster provided additional protection against the new variants I would jump on it. I’m sort of wondering that perhaps if I wait a bit a vaccine that is tweaked for the new variables will be available.

I’m at 4 months from my first booster so I’m still deciding. I will say that both the second shot and the booster caused side effects for me, but the side effects were short lived. In both instances it was a 24 hour feeling like I had a mild flu…body aches, slight fever, and exhaustion. However, I will gladly take the side effects again to prevent Covid.

How many months after the 1st booster is everyone getting the 2nd booster? It has only been a little over 3 months since my 1st booster, so I'm not considering the 2nd booster yet, but I don't know how long it takes for the 1st booster's efficacy to decline significantly. I may get the 2nd booster at the 5th or 6th-month mark... Not sure yet.

Last edited:
I think you can get it after 4 months.
We are 6 months out and are scheduled this week. It will then take us 6 months to October, when we usually get annual "Flu" vaccine, so hoping an improved Covid shot is available
then, too. Maybe a combined Flu/Covid. That would be wonderful and one less jab.

I'm not currently planning on getting the 2nd booster; at the very least I am going to hold off a while.

Scientists divided on need for 4th Covid shot after FDA quietly approved another round of boosters

I'm actually holding off on my initial booster based on getting COVID after the two shot series; my age; and having no comorbidities . As Paul Offit says in the article, I've won.

“If you’ve gotten a mild illness after you’ve been vaccinated, you’ve won — that’s it. You’ve been prevented from having serious illness, which is the stated goal of this vaccine,” said Offit,....

How many months after the 1st booster is everyone getting the 2nd booster? It has only been a little over 3 months since my 1st booster, so I'm not considering the 2nd booster yet, but I don't know how long it takes for the 1st booster's efficacy to decline significantly. I may get the 2nd booster at the 5th or 6th-month mark... Not sure yet.

We’re near the 5 and 6 months after respectively. While local prevalence is very low and we are not traveling, we’re inclined to wait.

The thing about efficacy decline - I don’t really care about the antibodies waning, they are going to wane. I’m not even sure I care about protection against infection as that is very short-lived anyway according the the Israel study, and was never that high for Omicron to begin with. What I care about is protection from severe disease, hospitalization and death. And from what I’ve read that still remains pretty high even after many months and some decline.

If we have another spike or my exposure will increase in the near future for some reason, more travel and/or visiting family for example, I’ll probably get it.

We’re near the 5 and 6 months after respectively. While local prevalence is very low and we are not traveling, we’re inclined to wait.

The thing about efficacy decline - I don’t really care about the antibodies waning, they are going to wane. I’m not even sure I care about protection against infection as that is very short-lived anyway according the the Israel study, and was never that high for Omicron to begin with. What I care about is protection from severe disease, hospitalization and death. And from what I’ve read that still remains pretty high even after many months and some decline.

If we have another spike or my exposure will increase in the near future for some reason, more travel and/or visiting family for example, I’ll probably get it.

DW is taking this approach. She has "refused" the booster even though I got it. I guess we'll be a tiny "study" and see what happens. YMMV

From what I have been reading there’s not much benefit from the second booster and it’s short lived. The hope is that the next vaccine may be more effective against the new variants. I probably won’t get it despite being 6 months after the first booster.

I'm actually holding off on my initial booster based on getting COVID after the two shot series; my age; and having no comorbidities . As Paul Offit says in the article, I've won.

“If you’ve gotten a mild illness after you’ve been vaccinated, you’ve won — that’s it. You’ve been prevented from having serious illness, which is the stated goal of this vaccine,” said Offit,....
I think the main concern after that is reinfections. I have family including vaccinated adults who have had Delta, and then 3 months later Omicron. Having school age children they are sitting ducks. Just because a couple of infections didn’t require hospitalization, can you assume the third one won’t? Is it more that every time a new variant shows up you are vulnerable to another reinfection? If enough time passes, say a year, can you experience reinfection from the same variant? Are there long term health issues up that can pile up from numerous reinfections? We clearly don’t know, so language like “you’ve won” from a virologist makes me very nervous- it sounds reckless - implying some kind of permanent immunity when we already know that’s not true.

Nevertheless, most nations are now proceeding as if numerous reinfections aren’t dangerous for most people especially children.

P.S I’m still waiting to see what happens with BA.2 in this country. So far we don’t seem to be following the same path as say the UK, but time will tell…..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom