Cell Phone - Better Service With New Phone?

camaloter

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi. I just switched from Verizon to T Mobile. Although Verizon is CDMA and T Mobile is GSM, my Verizon phone still works (it's a "global" phone). But, I'm not sure it works as well as a native GSM phone would. Does anyone know if it's worth upgrading to a native GSM phone, in terms of service? (My service is now "good enough" with the Verizon phone, but I would be willing to buy a GSM phone if it might be better.

Thanks for any insights or experiences you can share!

Dan

It's probably more about where the cell towers are than about the modulation/signaling scheme. One type of signal may be further away from you than another. I can also be about the sensitivity of the CDMA and GSM receiver sections of a particular phone.

I have a handy Android app called "Network Cell Info." It displays measurements of signal strength and even a little map showing what tower the phone is connecting with. If you can run this on both your phones you may find it helps with your question. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en_US&gl=US

Probably there is a similar I-thing app; I don't know.

Last edited:
I can't comment on whether or not a GSM phone will be better than a CDMA phone in your situation, but I do know there are differences of signal sensitivities between brands and models of phones.

I have a handy Android app called "Network Cell Info." It displays measurements of signal strength and even a little map showing what tower the phone is connecting with. If you can run this on both your phones you may find it helps with your question. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en_US&gl=US

There is a rudimentary signal strength meter on most Android phones. Go into Settings > About Phone > SIM status, then look for Signal Strength. It will be expressed as a negative number. The closer the number gets toward zero, the stronger the signal. Thus, -79 dBm indicates a stronger signal than -98 dBm.

You could take your current phone to the T-Mobile store, and check some GSM phones signal strength using the method I described. Then place your phone adjacent to the GSM phone and repeat the signal strength test to see which phone has a stronger signal.

I just went to Settings to Signal Strength and read my signal is -115 dBm. I live at a beach and it is "raining cats and dogs" right now. Maybe I will check tomorrow but I doubt it will be much different. I use T-Mobile but don't think it is any better or worse than Verizon.
Thanks Old Shooter and Qs for the information.

Cheers!

No expert here, but I'd be surprised if it makes sense to directly compare CDMA and GSM signal strength. They are really different animals and some further research and qualification is warranted.

Back
Top Bottom