Cheapwad Finds--Opposite of Blow That Dough!

61% off a Milwaukee combination of two 5Ah batteries, charger, and M18 FUEL (brushless motor) Jigsaw. I've kinda been waiting for this to go on sale so I bit. $200 for the combo is a deal.

Yes there are cheaper jigsaws out there but I like the portability and lack of entanglement of battery power and am willing to pay the premium for it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...41b8725155c9ab1063d1b42a72f560a788e667f7f19b7

61% off a Milwaukee combination of two 5Ah batteries, charger, and M18 FUEL (brushless motor) Jigsaw. I've kinda been waiting for this to go on sale so I bit. $200 for the combo is a deal.

Yes there are cheaper jigsaws out there but I like the portability and lack of entanglement of battery power and am willing to pay the premium for it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...41b8725155c9ab1063d1b42a72f560a788e667f7f19b7

Yes, that is a good deal. Nothing like a quality tool!

We get most of our clothes from Costco or Amazon basics. If I need a new winter coat, I'll just go to Costco and get one of the 3 - 4 styles they have in stock and call it good enough.

I'm with you on this one. Going from dry clean, department store work clothing to comfy retirement clothing is one of the biggest cost savings in retirement. I have my cruise, vacation outfits that last forever because I only dress for dinner on 2-4 cruises each year for 7-10 days per cruise. Other than that its jeans, tee shirts, and sweaters - all for Costco bargain prices. :dance: Still rejoicing from when I found a 2 pack of tee shirts discounted for $4.97 about a month ago. There were 3 different colors so I bought 6 tee shirts for $15. Taking some of them to wear with shorts on my cruise in November. Love that Costco!!

I like the above plain T-shirts.

I just ordered this Westinghouse inverter generator from Sam's Club.

Special price including tax and shipping: $363.35.

igen2200-1a_900x.jpg

Looking at two 100 stamp rolls here - do you know how few stamps i've been using the last few years? Dang interweb is going to kill physical mail.

I recently bought 200 forever stamps on line at about 20 cents each. I just hope they are not counterfit.

Cheers!

Mine were purchased from the local PO and Costco over a several year period and were pretty much full cost, so no worries here about counterfeit. My niggling concern has to do with how long it will take to use them up as the money to buy them just sits there.

Mine were purchased from the local PO and Costco over a several year period and were pretty much full cost, so no worries here about counterfeit. My niggling concern has to do with how long it will take to use them up as the money to buy them just sits there.

I bought my stash at the PO many years ago. While I have a lot (~$400) and only slowly use them. I'm not worried about the $$ tied up in them as they constantly go up in value each year with postal rate increases.
Better than owning Gold :)

My concern is I may over the years end up not mailing enough stuff to use them.

I love Costco too. I belong to a FB group called Costco Fan Club <City name where Costco is> and they post all the sales (with photos) that are not in the flyer, like their manager's specials, etc. If you see a price that ends with .97 instead of .99 (ex. $10.97), it's a manager's special or a clearance item. Those items sell out quickly, however. I have gotten even better deals since joining this FB group. They tell us when seasonal pumpkin pies are back, which items have supply issues, and people also comment on which items are tasty, too salty, how to get refunds (no receipt needed) or how to get price adjustments (get your money back) for items you bought last week but they went on sale a week after or even later, etc.(I didn't know you could do that.)

People used to post, "They have a full crate of Lysol wipes at the entrance! Tons of Kirkland paper towels but no toilet paper!" Right now, people are asking a lot about children's Tylenol and baby formulas - so they won't have to go to Costco if those items are already sold out.

Last edited:
We tested out a shiny, new senior discount fare Clipper card for the train. Seniors get 62% off train fares and discounts on other modes of public transportation like the buses, cable cars and ferries, though we haven't tried those out yet with the senior card. Once we are both old enough for senior clipper cards, with a free library pass and seat filler tickets, we can go to many of the San Francisco and surrounding area activities like museum visits, plays and concerts for $10 - $20 an outing, even including transportation and the seat filler membership costs.

I also joined a new seat filler ticket group. I didn't care for any of the initial offerings, they were a bit too hipster for us, but it is only $5 a month so, I will keep it awhile and see what other events pop up.

Here's an idea to use in a high income year - charitable trusts are not only for rich people. A dozen years ago, my company was going through some troubles and they agreed to pay me some "stay bonus's" to stay and work through the troubles. I decided I was going to set aside some for charity in a charitable trust and funded it with appreciated stock (got the charitable deduction and didn't pay taxes on the appreciation). 12 years later, we still use that money for our local church as well whenever someone hits us up for a donation for anything - I've already withdrawn more than I contributed and it's still going strong.

Edit: as euro pointed out - this was actually a donor advisor fund, not a charitable trust - I originally set it up with T Rowe price and have since moved it to Fidelity

Last edited:
Here's an idea to use in a high income year - charitable trusts are not only for rich people. A dozen years ago, my company was going through some troubles and they agreed to pay me some "stay bonus's" to stay and work through the troubles. I decided I was going to set aside some for charity in a charitable trust and funded it with appreciated stock (got the charitable deduction and didn't pay taxes on the appreciation). 12 years later, we still use that money for our local church as well whenever someone hits us up for a donation for anything - I've already withdrawn more than I contributed and it's still going strong.

Great solution! Since this is the "thrifty thread", it may be worth mentioning that this can also be achieved with a Donor-advised Fund that you can establish at many brokerages (Fido, Schwab, Vanguard, etc). Easy to set up at zero cost.

Me too, and it's the investment that keeps on giving, as I bought a lifetime supply :LOL:

Heh, heh, my desk drawer isn't that big!:facepalm: DW must go through 500 or more stamps in a year. She sends BD cards to every one we know. She always sends sympathy and special cards to everyone. We have found sources for cards which average about the same cost as a stamp, so it's affordable.

DW's mission to spread cheer though cards is another reason I value and cherish her. It's a small price to pay to see her love in action. YMMV

Heh, heh, my desk drawer isn't that big!:facepalm: DW must go through 500 or more stamps in a year. She sends BD cards to every one we know. She always sends sympathy and special cards to everyone. We have found sources for cards which average about the same cost as a stamp, so it's affordable.

DW's mission to spread cheer though cards is another reason I value and cherish her. It's a small price to pay to see her love in action. YMMV

Your DW sounds like a lovely and loving lady. I'm too lazy plus card writing was never my thing, but I'm sure her act not only brings joy to her friends/acquaintances but a lot of joy comes back to herself as well.

Your DW sounds like a lovely and loving lady. I'm too lazy plus card writing was never my thing, but I'm sure her act not only brings joy to her friends/acquaintances but a lot of joy comes back to herself as well.

She is indeed those things. I feel sorry for her as she is now struggling to write. Her arthritis is making it more and more difficult. I'm encouraging her to type but it just doesn't seem the same to her, I guess. Thanks for the sentiment!:flowers:

My latest cheapwad find was 73% off at Safeway with a combination of weekly sales, personalized coupons, detergent coupons from the paper and store reward points. I don't usually shop there because it is too expensive compared to all the discount and warehouse stores we have close by, but sometimes their store reward offers are really good. Like this week their personalized coupons included buy $10 - get $10 off your groceries, $2 off $10 of seafood and extra jumbo shrimp for $5 a pound. So meant getting 2 pounds of shrimp plus 2 can of soup on sale all for 50 cents total.

My latest cheapwad find was 73% off at Safeway with a combination of weekly sales, personalized coupons, detergent coupons from the paper and store reward points. I don't usually shop there because it is too expensive compared to all the discount and warehouse stores we have close by, but sometimes their store reward offers are really good. Like this week their personalized coupons included buy $10 - get $10 off your groceries, $2 off $10 of seafood and extra jumbo shrimp for $5 a pound. So meant getting 2 pounds of shrimp plus 2 can of soup on sale all for 50 cents total.

Same for us at CVS. We don't shop there a lot except for our pharma meeds. BUT each trip to the pharmacy nets us a ream of discounts that DW parleys into deep discounts on items we use all the time. With the discounts, we save way more than even at Costco or Sams, etc. Once in a while, she has to buy "one more" of something just to use up all the savings! YMMV

They were so I got my money back. :D I bought through paypal so the seller had no link to my CC and the money was returned in a couple of days.

Cheers!

Good. You must have suspected something at the time though.

Last edited:
We sold our 2013 Kia Soul. We got a great deal when we bought it. It was a year old with 6,000 miles on it. Retailed for about 20,000. We paid 13,000.

We weren’t really driving it, it was just sitting outside so we decided to sell.

We spent 140. getting it detailed, then my husband put it for sale on Craigs list and next door. It took a couple of weeks but a couple looked at it and bought it the next day for 10,300.

Hard to believe a nine year old car sold for 3,000. Less then we paid for it

Back
Top Bottom