Class of 2022

Well, it is official now. Despite the jump in pension, I submitted my paperwork for retirement yesterday. It really came down to, working another year gives me more, but then what about the year after? My pension would go up again. I just decided that we do have enough, and enough is okay.

My last day will be June 1 and I essentially have 30 days left to work (since I'm already part time.

I know I'm leaving money on the table, but I am really excited. Not ER, as I will be 60 when I retire, but done nonetheless.

Panda

Good for you! Yes there will always be more $ for more time. But since no one knows exactly how much time we have left - I agree with your logic of going with 'enough'. Congrats.

Not including the rest of today, I have 4 work days left! I'm not counting the last day (next Friday) because I am going in to the office to turn in all of my IT equipment in the morning, and then I am free (I telework)! Can't believe it is almost here!!!

Well, it is official now. Despite the jump in pension, I submitted my paperwork for retirement yesterday. It really came down to, working another year gives me more, but then what about the year after? My pension would go up again. I just decided that we do have enough, and enough is okay.

My last day will be June 1 and I essentially have 30 days left to work (since I'm already part time.

I know I'm leaving money on the table, but I am really excited. Not ER, as I will be 60 when I retire, but done nonetheless.

Panda

Congrats! If it makes you feel better, I am retiring from the federal gov't early, at age 52, and am giving up fed health insurance. That's a pretty big deal, but I'm not staying until I'm 57 for it.....

Not including the rest of today, I have 4 work days left! I'm not counting the last day (next Friday) because I am going in to the office to turn in all of my IT equipment in the morning, and then I am free (I telework)! Can't believe it is almost here!!!

6 work days left:dance: 2 weeks at 2 days and 2 weeks at 1 day. Projects handed over, just being available and tidying up some of the data on spreadsheets for the new owner;).
I’ll hand in IT equipment by 5 May, last official day.

Nice .. mine is Dec.31, 2022 - end of this year. I hope that market gets better so I don't OMY to 2023.

Changed from XX to Sept 2022, but leaving the door open to an earlier rage quit since my successor is in place and can handle it! 24 weeks countdown!

roady-runner - Jan 2022
dadu007- - Jan 2022
oldmedic - Jan 2022
caninelover - Jan 21 2022 - FIRE'd
Present Aside - Feb 2, 2022 - FIRE’d
Leonardo - Feb 2022
Escapevelocity - Feb 2022
kaudrey - 25 Feb 2022
OnTheBeach - 28 Feb 2022
Romer- Feb 2022
Ozinvestor - March 2022
Dean56 - March 2022
Travis Bickle - March 2022
Pompanobeach - April 2022
fassmac - April 2022
Goingcamping - April 2022
ejw93 - April 2022
YVRRocketSurgery - April 2022
mmurphy111 - April 2022
cynicalbuthopeful - 1 May 2022
GTP2022 - May 2022
Jim59 - 6 May 2022
nhcycling - June 2022
plex - June 2022
beernutzbob - June 2022
retire48in2018 - June 2022
Physics Guy - June 2022
Poopycat - June 2022
ImThinkin2019 June 2022
Sean Pizzle - June 2022
David3 - June 2022
Mrs & Mr Bustergordon - 30 June
Silent Walker - July 2022
CaliKid - September 2022
BGH1 - September 2022
Unpaintedhuffhines - September 2022
firemediceric - October 2022
mountainsoft - December 2022
ExPatKiwi - December 2022
Panda Bear - XX 2022
Sam Cro - XX 2022
Dreams of Freedom - XX 2022
Callitaday - XX 2022
dd564 - XX 2022
Chris Texas - XX 2022
Bee4 - Sept 2022
cyber888 - December 2022
ecowtent-XX 2022
Aiming_4_55 - XX 2022
[/QUOTE]

So this tuesday was my last day at work. Sadly I still need to be available to some clients for some weeks until the projects are over, but it's just to answer questions and things like that.

I went this weekend to an all-inclusive resort here in Brazil to celebrate and took a photo of a beautiful sunset, just for some client call me like 30sec later treating me badly for no reason about some stupid thing. That made me absolutely sure that I'm doing the right thing by retiring and that I don't want to deal with this kind of situation ever again. I'll take boredom instead of stress any day of the week!

SRxK2Vx.jpg

Wonderful photo! Totally agree on boredom over stress but I have yet to be bored! Loving my month of retirement so far!

Hey fellow Class of 22 grads -

Update from me- I shifted to part-time work with the local municipality, performing some low-stress work for the community. 3 days per week, no more than 980 hours per year.

Couldn't be happier. I work Tues, Weds, Thurs and I have 4-day weekends each week. I consulted with a lot of folks who said this path (semi-retirement) was a wise path to take.... I have plenty of time to do stuff with my family, yet I don't feel pressure to 'fill' all the free time I would have if 'fully' retired.

It's funny, my old employer counter-offered with a bunch of Position Descriptions that were all full-time assignments.... it did not fully register with them that I was making a Quality of Life move, and part-time efforts from my end did not fit in with their plans/goals. No hard feelings.

The part-time work also helps cover the 'new' costs of health care (mostly out of pocket), plus the new hobby I have acquired (sailboat). I half-joke with the wife that the PT job pays for healthcare and 'boat bucks' and retirement savings cover everything else.

Anyhoo- Wish you all the best of luck. I still consider myself part of the '22 class and hope you will forgive me for going in to 'semi-' instead of 'full-' retirement.

Hey fellow Class of 22 grads -

Update from me- I shifted to part-time work with the local municipality, performing some low-stress work for the community. 3 days per week, no more than 980 hours per year.

Couldn't be happier. I work Tues, Weds, Thurs and I have 4-day weekends each week. I consulted with a lot of folks who said this path (semi-retirement) was a wise path to take.... I have plenty of time to do stuff with my family, yet I don't feel pressure to 'fill' all the free time I would have if 'fully' retired.

It's funny, my old employer counter-offered with a bunch of Position Descriptions that were all full-time assignments.... it did not fully register with them that I was making a Quality of Life move, and part-time efforts from my end did not fit in with their plans/goals. No hard feelings.

The part-time work also helps cover the 'new' costs of health care (mostly out of pocket), plus the new hobby I have acquired (sailboat). I half-joke with the wife that the PT job pays for healthcare and 'boat bucks' and retirement savings cover everything else.

Anyhoo- Wish you all the best of luck. I still consider myself part of the '22 class and hope you will forgive me for going in to 'semi-' instead of 'full-' retirement.
Of course you're part of the class! You have taken control of your own life and aren't a slave to the regular paycheck. Working a bit for fun money is valid FIRE in my opinion.

Congrats and it sounds like you've got a sweet deal. Enjoy the new hobby.

Great move to part-time. This gang was helpful for me to make that decision last year.

Great move to part-time. This gang was helpful for me to make that decision last year.

Awesome. This is what we’ve both done over the last 4 years and it’s a great way to go. Dimmer switch vs. light switch. Congrats!

I'm so close to the rage-quit. I have been begging for help in managing the backend business process of the 60 or so clients in my book of business. I am taking two weeks of PTO and coming back hopefully with ability to suck it up until June. We are a tech company and along with most of Nasdaq, our stock got clobbered by about 33%. That plays into my planning and comfort levels a bit as I have been trying to be strategic in getting out of the company stock and into index funds while managing the LTCG vs STCG tax implications. God grant me patience before a choke a fool.

I'm so close to the rage-quit. I have been begging for help in managing the backend business process of the 60 or so clients in my book of business. I am taking two weeks of PTO and coming back hopefully with ability to suck it up until June. We are a tech company and along with most of Nasdaq, our stock got clobbered by about 33%. That plays into my planning and comfort levels a bit as I have been trying to be strategic in getting out of the company stock and into index funds while managing the LTCG vs STCG tax implications. God grant me patience before a choke a fool.
Hang in there! June is not too far off - though it probably feels like an eternity when w*rk crap ramps up. I had many a day towards the end where I had to dig deep to stay calm!

Ditto that rage-quit feel. We are all in the same boat getting through the ladt year or so.

That actually sounds wonderful!:)
I would have considered that myself if I found a nice/easy path for it for me.

Long time reader, but recently officially joined the site and am adding my name to this list. I will be retiring on April 1 after 35+ years at mega corp. Looking forward to “My Next Chapter”!

roady-runner - Jan 2022
dadu007- - Jan 2022
oldmedic - Jan 2022
caninelover - Jan 21 2022 - FIRE'd
Present Aside - Feb 2, 2022 - FIRE’d
Leonardo - Feb 2022
Escapevelocity - Feb 2022
kaudrey - 25 Feb 2022
OnTheBeach - 28 Feb 2022
Romer- Feb 2022
Ozinvestor - March 2022
Dean56 - March 2022
Travis Bickle - March 2022
My Next Chapter - April 1, 2022
Pompanobeach - April 2022
fassmac - April 2022
Goingcamping - April 2022
ejw93 - April 2022
YVRRocketSurgery - April 2022
mmurphy111 - April 2022
cynicalbuthopeful - 1 May 2022
GTP2022 - May 2022
Jim59 - 6 May 2022
nhcycling - June 2022
plex - June 2022
beernutzbob - June 2022
retire48in2018 - June 2022
Physics Guy - June 2022
Poopycat - June 2022
ImThinkin2019 June 2022
Sean Pizzle - June 2022
David3 - June 2022
Mrs & Mr Bustergordon - 30 June
Silent Walker - July 2022
CaliKid - September 2022
BGH1 - September 2022
Unpaintedhuffhines - September 2022
firemediceric - October 2022
mountainsoft - December 2022
ExPatKiwi - December 2022
Panda Bear - XX 2022
Sam Cro - XX 2022
Dreams of Freedom - XX 2022
Callitaday - XX 2022
dd564 - XX 2022
Chris Texas - XX 2022
Bee4 - Sept 2022
cyber888 - December 2022
ecowtent-XX 2022
Aiming_4_55 - XX 2022

6 work days left:dance: 2 weeks at 2 days and 2 weeks at 1 day. Projects handed over, just being available and tidying up some of the data on spreadsheets for the new owner;).
I’ll hand in IT equipment by 5 May, last official day.

So this tuesday was my last day at work. Sadly I still need to be available to some clients for some weeks until the projects are over, but it's just to answer questions and things like that.

How's it going you three? Two of you are done done, right? And Jim59 6 days seems awfully close -- even if they don't all conclude until May 5!

Congratulations to the February cohort! Sleep in on Monday for me. :)
March cohort: Looking forward to your last day of work posts.:cool:

Last day of February…..that means 11.5 work days in March, 8 days in April and 11 days in May + June 1.

June 1 is my last day……so less than 30 days to go!! (Yes, it’s 29.5, but still less than 30!)

I did it! Friday, February 25th, was my last day. Went in to work for one of the few times in the last two years to turn in my computer; phone etc. Spent most of the last week saying goodbye to people...it was bittersweet - as I actually liked my job and loved the people. But it was a lot of stress and it was time.

I am 52, and....retired!

How did the past week feel since your last day?

Great! I had a retirement party, my sister visited for a few days, and I had a list of things to do.....nice to do things during the day instead of nights and weekends!

It will take a while to get into a routine, but so far, I am definitely less stressed and enjoying the freedom.

Just sold my commercial business property, we close on May 31,2022 . I have 60 days to liquidate. Whooo hooo

Back
Top Bottom