Closed out my LinkedIn account

ChrisK

Dryer sheet wannabe
While I was working at mega corp, LinkedIn was a pretty big deal to connect with peers, check out job openings, and stay 'in the game". Even after FIRE I would look at it occasionally and get my ego stroked when recruiters would hit me up for jobs.

However, I closed it out/deleted my account the other day, more as a symbolic gesture that that part of my life is over and there is no looking back! Overall not a big deal but it did feel good as a means of letting go of the past :)

I'm keeping my account, because I can still help make introductions for others.

I like LinkedIn for two reasons. One, it helps me stay in touch with old work friends. I like to see what they are up to and it is a way for me to contact them when I'm traveling in their area and want to get together. Two, I use it to cheer me up by helping me to remember all the misery of working for the Man. All the optimizations, reorganizations, leadership stories, blah blah blah...[emoji16]

Closed mine too. In all honesty I only kept it the last couple years just so I could announce my retirement to my contacts. So they didn’t think I just dried up and died.
I found no use in it anymore. I really miss nothing about it. That was a part of my life that is now closed. I like the new life better.

I kept mine alive, made changes to reflect my new lifestyle. I still get messages and contacts.

I did not announce my retirement there. Or anywhere really.

Ok I did here. But you guys "get it".

I kept mine going too (put in a message: "retired") because it remains a convenient way to stay in touch or to be able to reach former colleagues. Maybe once a year or so, it comes in handy.

That said, there is an issue that arises over time in that they do not have any mechanism to inactivate or delete accounts after a certain time of non use. This means when people pass away, LinkedIn keep sending out notices to the networks unless someone goes through the trouble of finding out how to access the deceased person's account and deletes it. Case in point, last week I got an announcement from LinkedIn of a former colleague of mine celebrating their 20th work anniversary with xyzzy megacorp - except they died back in 2012... This made me think that perhaps I should delete my own account before it is too late....

Last edited:
I have a linked in account because "that's the thing to do" when working at a megacorp. However, I wasn't very active on it until recently. I used to only log on every 3-6 months to and accept all the connection requests that have been piling up. :LOL: Nowadays, I log on regularly because a few financial pundits I follow, post their articles and interviews on their page so it's easy to find their work in one place.

I'm actually looking forward to changing my profile to retired next April.

Re: Social media accounts after death, I've trying to complile & maintain a list of accounts so the missus or whoever can deactive them all when the time comes.

Mine is still active- just this week I connected with a young actuary from Nepal after I commented on his post. Like the others, I enjoy seeing what people I knew from decades ago are up to and what's going on in the business. I read their daily news wrap-up almost every day.

OTOH, it's kind of funny to get e-mails saying "You look like you'd be a good fit for the job at XYZ Company" when the requirements are 5 or 10 years of experience. They also get thrown off by my title of "Private Portfolio Manager" at Home Office.

I had my Ex's profile shut down after he died. I don't remember what I had to do bit it wasn't too onerous.

I never closed mine, but I may as well have as I forgot my login and it probably uses an old work email that is long gone, some 15 years gone.

I still get emails from it, because never shut it down. I forgot my password, but I have the emails directed to my Spam folder.

I recently reached out to a former colleague for a get-together. We haven't seen her in years. I will keep my LinkedIn account for that reason.

I keep my open, so recruiters and everyone else knows I am retired.

I kept mine going too (put in a message: "retired") because it remains a convenient way to stay in touch or to be able to reach former colleagues. Maybe once a year or so, it comes in handy.

That said, there is an issue that arises over time in that they do not have any mechanism to inactivate or delete accounts after a certain time of non use. This means when people pass away, LinkedIn keep sending out notices to the networks unless someone goes through the trouble of finding out how to access the deceased person's account and deletes it. Case in point, last week I got an announcement from LinkedIn of a former colleague of mine celebrating their 20th work anniversary with xyzzy megacorp - except they died back in 2012... This made me think that perhaps I should delete my own account before it is too late....

You can actually send an email to LinkedIn customer support if you get a notice from the account of someone who has died. I did that a few years ago and included the link to the online obituary and they replied that they would close the account. I haven't gotten anything from that person since.

I keep my open, so recruiters and everyone else knows I am retired.

How's that working out? I changed my job title to "retired" and put a note in the summary that I'm keeping the account open so that former employees who want references can still find me; but I'm still getting contacted about job openings every month or two. Just this morning I got one looking for a SAS programmer, a role I last held in 1987.

I’ve been thinking about closing my account too. I’ve kept it open in case former colleagues want to contact me, as well as to help others who may need a referral to my contacts. However, it’s been 5 years now since I retired, I have no intention of ever going back to work or doing any consulting, etc, so not sure having an account is valuable. Hmmmm

I'm always surprised by the friends I have who have retired but never updated their LinkedIn, either by deleting it or merely noting that they're now retired. Once a year, like clockwork, I'll see a note to congratulate somebody for their Nth anniversary at Megacorp. And like clockwork, I see a bunch of people congratulating the individual who I know retired 10 years ago and just never updated their status. :)

Plan to retire in 2022, but I'm going to keep my account open. I'll note that I'm retired, and not available for new opportunities. It's always been more of an electronic rolodex for me where I know I can always find a way to contact old friends and colleagues.

Surprised to see so many closing their LinkedIn account.

I love going on there once in awhile because it gives me sooo much gratitude that I'm not working anymore! :dance:

Seeing articles like "how to be more productive" and "why morning meetings are great" ugh... spare me the BS :LOL:

I only used my old account to keep a list of contacts “just in case” I got laid off and had to do another job search. After ER I changed my company to “Galaxyboy Brewery” and my title to “Head Bottle Washer” but still kept getting spam, so I eventually just deleted it. I have no desire to try and keep up with any of the old captives.

In my view LinkedIn is the least obtrusive/annoying/weird of the social media platforms, and the participants are for the most part serious and to the point. I keep mine as I do have friends from Megacorp that I like to keep in touch with/see what they are up to. I also have been able to get a couple of folks jobs via my Linkedin contacts.

Changed my profile to private financial advisor. Just used it to send my son's resume to a former colleague in IT.

I'm keeping my account, because I can still help make introductions for others.

Same! My previous affiliation with a university created a steady stream of seniors and recent grads who would request to be a contact with me, which I always agreed to. It was good to give them a contact with a more senior role. One bonus is that over time I am seeing these kids mature, get promotions, and repost articles with the business theme du jour!

-BB

Last edited:
I have a Linked In account, but I didn't really use it while working and sure don't use it now. I have been contacted through it probably 3 times over the years. It doesn't cost anything to keep it open, so I do, in case someone may need to find me. I did change my work history to "retired".

I thought I closed mine, but I receive job offers a few times a month and I no longer have my log in info. I will probably go back on sometime and try to figure it out.

In my view LinkedIn is the least obtrusive/annoying/weird of the social media platforms, and the participants are for the most part serious and to the point. I keep mine as I do have friends from Megacorp that I like to keep in touch with/see what they are up to. I also have been able to get a couple of folks jobs via my Linkedin contacts.

That’s pretty much how I use it, too. I enjoy helping good former reports and colleagues find their next rung up, and they can always find me via LinkedIn, if necessary. And I hung out a shingle on LinkedIn as a consultant for my current status, and consulting inquiries and some actual contracts have come my way. I like to think there’s some karma involved.

I rarely read it though, because of the seemingly required tone, “Everyone, look at me and how I’m am just so completely into my work!!!!”, which is no longer where I am in life.

Back
Top Bottom