Closed out my LinkedIn account

I was already on the downhill side of my career when Linkedin became popular. My only "contacts" are a few people that wanted me as a contact.

Every once in a while, I'll go out and read a few ex-coworkers bio's to see how important they think they are. I probably need to just delete it.

One thing to keep in mind when you look at someone's profile on LinkedIn. If they pay for the premium account I believe that they can see who opened their profile; otherwise, in general, no. If you pay, I think you can choose to look at other people's profiles anonymously; otherwise no.

-BB

If you are really truly fired why would you want or need this distraction? However if you are in the aspiring fire group with w**k intentions do what you need to do. I am seeing that the FIRED forum is multigenerational.

As I still do some advising for my company I have kept my account, but about a year ago I deleted about half my connections. I had always only accepted connections to people I knew, but the ones I kept are people I really want to stay in contact with. When I give up the advisor role, I will probably delete it.

When I retired, I changed mine to “Retirement Advocate at My Own Boss, Inc.”

For some reason, this reminds me of my 20th HS graduation anniversary. Folks listed their occup@tions and an old friend of mine listed "retired." Looking back 35 years (plus) now, I wonder if this was the very first spark that led me toward FIRE. Of course, back then, LinkedIN wasn't even a twinkle in a software engineer's eye. YMMV

I’m about to delete my LinkedIn profile - I’ve been removing contacts along the way and notifying the remaining.
As a big FYI - there is an option to download all of your data - it takes about a day for the data dump to be available. Nice thing is that all your contacts are in a spreadsheet.
Lots of other details - your posts, etc

I am still 8 years away from my retirement but deleting LinkedIn account will be the first thing on my list post retirement. Cutting the ropes, as they say.

The only confusion I have is whether to announce and then leave or just delete it without any announcement. Well, at least I have time to decide :)

Back
Top Bottom