Coffee: Anyone know a wonderful brand?

I drink a couple of cups of coffee at home every morning to jump start my day. I like Peets a lot but also buy from local roasters. I got some great J.P. Hearty blend last week from a coffee and tea shop in Pittsburgh's Strip District, Prestogeorge, which I am enjoying very much. I use a Technivorm coffee maker and....um...hate to admit it but have them grind my beans when I buy them as I am lazy. I keep my coffee in a sealed container in the freezer. I have a Capresso burr grinder which I know would be a good thing to put back into use.

Thanks, Kevink, for sharing your expertise and the reference to the Terroir website.

Did your DW stop drinking coffee when you started roasting it in the dog's dish? And have you noticed a change in the dog's energy level?:)

Heh-heh-heh! Actually, I use an old SS mixing bowl, no animals ate from it at any time, so it's all good. But DW had some vague symptoms a few years back that made her real edgy, it seemed like thyroid but the tests came back normal. But once she got off coffee just to see if it made a difference, it seems she just lost the taste for it. But there are a lot of interesting teas also.

...whole beans and a <gasp> blade grinder for weekends...

Yes, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I haven't upgraded from the whirly-bird blade grinder. It would be interesting to see if I could pick out the difference in a blind test. On the beer brewing forums they talk about a "triangle test" - 3 drinks presented blindly, two are the same , one different. The taster has to correctly identify the different one before their observations are considered valid. It's too easy to be given two drinks and say, 'oh yes, I pick out a distinctive, yet subtle air of eastern mountain essence in this one', or some other BS.

But the blade cutters do make a mess of things, I would not be surprised if a good grinder made a better brew with the more consistent grind.

-ERD50

We keep the beans to use in a few days in a tightly sealed container.

After that - I will show myself as a heretic. We keep the rest of the opened bag in the freezer - argh! This is coffee heresy.

Living in the motorhome, we have had no other options.

Yes, I can tell an improvement in taste when the bag has just been opened. Yes, I can tell an improvement in taste when we get a new shipment. But IMO, the deterioration from our storage methods is very small compared to the overall deliciousness of the coffee. And I am giving up very little for the convenience. I still enjoy the my morning cup. That is what it comes down to - your personal taste.

Unless you live conveniently near a great roaster and can get just the right amount weekly, you have no other options but to keep coffee past what is recommended.

BTW - I used to roast my own coffee beans, creating my own blends on recommendations from Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's . And it was the best coffee I have ever had in my life! I got very good at counting time from the second crack and getting just the right level of dark city roast. Now that we have a house, maybe I'll start roasting again.

Audrey

I used my hand vacuum sealer (Pump n seal) I got from an Internet store to take 5 qts of roasted coffee beans in my class B van & a hand grinder. The beans still had visible oils & tasted great on the last day of my 4 week sojourn. I ground it each day & sealed the jar after each opening. Hand grinder was slower (about 3 mins) but did a good job & I didn't have to use any electricity. So I'm sure you could find room in your RV. :)

After going thru 2 electric vacuum sealers, I now use the hand pump for everything at home. Very portable & it lasts. Kind of expensive for what it is but cheap compared to the electrics. Once I started vacuum sealing my coffee beans, I never went back to any other method because it works so well.

I was going to try roasting my beans but never did.

I subscribe to Dunkin Donuts home coffee delivery. I receive a 5 lb bag of whole bean decaf every 10 weeks. I transfer it to half gallon glass Mason jars, store it out of sunlight, and grind it as needed.
Very cost effective. :flowers:
I add a small squirt of Hershey's chocolate syrup to the poured coffee in the mug for that "mocha" effect. Aaaaahhhh....

I've read so many things about brewing the perfect cup of coffee that I've forgotten most of them. I remember to use cold water and to grind fresh beans. Personally, DW and I don't have our heads on straight in the AM so we forget about all that stuff. We have a Keurig that we set up the night before. All that takes is water fill up. Set the coffee maker to come on at 6AM and go off at 9AM. We buy various brands and flavors as our taste changes weekly but we always buy from Green Mountain and get a months supply at a time. Right now we are on "perfect peach", finished up some "wild mountain blueberry" and keep "nantucket blend" on hand all the time in addition to "mandarin orange herbal tea". Next order will include some hot chocolate and "donut holes" coffee by Dukin Donuts. We're too lazy in the morning to go through all the fancy grinding, etc. Also, does anyone agree that most coffee tastes better at someone elses house? Or at the restaurant?

Back
Top Bottom