College tour questions: Notre Dame, Carnegie-Mellon, & RPI

My daughter attended a Jesuit university and was not pushed to attend mass (we are not RC). The student body was diverse in all aspects. Frankly Jesuits are among the most independent thinkers in Roman Catholicism, they doubtless give the Vatican heartburn.

What she did learn is that the calling of Jesuits to higher education is worthy, that they are not only great educators but effective administrators. The school educated the whole person.

What she experienced that is not common is public universities is a mission to serve others who are not as fortunate. She was encouraged to think beyond her own self interest. The development of the ability to consider the point of view of others has actually served her well as she works with executives and managers in high level positions.

... and coming from an under-representative area or ethnic group, etc.
Women from Hawaii. We know people who transferred here just so their kids didn't have to apply to college as residents of CA, VA, MD, or DC.

It will probably also help if you make a big donation like for a building...
We're just gonna have to take our chances on that. Maybe many years from now, but not anytime soon. Too many homeless shelters, foodbanks, and literacy programs need our money now, and the college students will have to take care of themselves for a while longre.

For USNA - does she get a legacy or do you need a Senator/Representative to nominate her?
There is a legacy program for children of retirees, but I don't remember how many or whether it's the President's or the VP's. She'll apply to everything that strikes her fancy and let the selection process help with the decision.

My daughter attended a Jesuit university and was not pushed to attend mass (we are not RC). The student body was diverse in all aspects. Frankly Jesuits are among the most independent thinkers in Roman Catholicism, they doubtless give the Vatican heartburn.

What she did learn is that the calling of Jesuits to higher education is worthy, that they are not only great educators but effective administrators. The school educated the whole person.

What she experienced that is not common is public universities is a mission to serve others who are not as fortunate. She was encouraged to think beyond her own self interest. The development of the ability to consider the point of view of others has actually served her well as she works with executives and managers in high level positions.

We aren't Catholic either, yet we have had 3 kids that have gone to Cathoilc colleges .. Univeristy Of St..Thomas, College of St. Benedict and Univeriisity St. Johns....they made a point of not attending mass..they were raise as Quakers....Jesuit education is a good one. I've been friends with guys that survived the Jesuits and came out with a great sense of humor...actually I think the funniest people I've know are either Jewish or Jesuits that survived their high school or college..

Back
Top Bottom