Communication device or app for use at hospital?

2HOTinPHX

Full time employment: Posting here.
So recently my dear dad passed away. One of the most frustrating things we have ever experienced was trying to understand what he was trying to say as he lost the ability to form words. I know he was frustrated and exhausted from trying to communicate. It would seem hospitals should have something available? Has anyone here ran across this issue. Any suggestions? I have just started to investigate this. Seems like there are a few apps out there. How do we get them in hospitals?
Your thoughts and ideas appreciated.

So recently my dear dad passed away. One of the most frustrating things we have ever experienced was trying to understand what he was trying to say as he lost the ability to form words. I know he was frustrated and exhausted from trying to communicate. It would seem hospitals should have something available? Has anyone here ran across this issue. Any suggestions? I have just started to investigate this. Seems like there are a few apps out there. How do we get them in hospitals?
Your thoughts and ideas appreciated.

I can only imagine how frustrating it had to be for your dad and you/your family, both.

When a grandmother of a dear friend had a stroke, her brain was still "with it" (she'd laugh at appropriate places in a conversation, for example) but she couldn't form words. I asked the staff at her rehab place for suggestions to assist her with communication. They suggested getting a large cookie sheet/baking pan (with a rim) and a bunch of magnetic letters (like kids might have). She could then spell out words. This was in addition to a small board (8"x10") they had at the rehab place for her that had simple useful things already on it that she could point to like toilet, food, water, bed, chair, blanket, etc.

Depending on the person's condition, I wonder if an app might be a bit complicated/difficult?

And if a person has the capability to use an app, most every visitor would likely have a smart phone, no?

omni

I did download an app call help talk that has so.e basic pictures but dad did not want to try it out. May have been to small on phone. Seems there could be some standard tablet like device used at hospitals...for everyone's benefit.

I think there's a real need there. And technology could certainly help.

Just throwing things out, I've read about devices which can track eye movements. Maybe have a big wall chart of letters, words and/or things the person can look at and blink.

A large tablet would be easier to read and manipulate than a phone. Schools give tablets to kids, surely hospitals can figure out the logistics. They'd probably be the cheapest piece of medical equipment in the room anyway.

My phone already tries to predict the word I'm looking to type next. Granted it's not often right, but just offering suggestions may help those with trouble finding the right word.

I'm a big believer in developing direct brain interfaces. I'd gladly be a guinea pig for something like that. Give me an SD card slot - I sure could use the extra memory!

My experience with the older people in our CCRC.

A very personal, patient approach. Low keyed all the way through. Absolutely no fast talking or louder voice.

I use simple interaction... few words, and eye contact. A warm approach, if that makes any sense to you. Never, ever show your own frustration. In the conversation, be aware of the other person's response. A nod, a shake of the head, or obvious facial expressions.

Lead ins.....:
How are you....
Is there something I can do?
Can you point to it?
So you want to talk about....
I'll mention a few words or things, and you nod yes or no.
Did something happen?
Should we discuss... the kids, money, food or meals, or treatment?
Do you want to see.... "Sally"? ... Go out for a ride? A pencil...pad...
Need to see a doctor?

You get the idea... learn to judge the person's style of reacting.

When you are not clicking with your own questions, take it even slower, and allow the person to come out with words or gestures, without quickening the "conversation".

My experience with this has been very rewarding, as the person I'm dealing with feels friendship and not stress. If frustration starts to show, give it a break, with some excuse to lower the anxiety level.

Just my take... It seems to work for me, as I can often break through the frustration, even when the nurses have given up.

I haven't heard of any machine or electronic device being used, and we live in a state of the art CCRC, with advanced nursing and memory care.

A very personal, patient approach. Low keyed all the way through. Absolutely no fast talking or louder voice.

I use simple interaction... few words, and eye contact. A warm approach, if that makes any sense to you. Never, ever show your own frustration. In the conversation, be aware of the other person's response. A nod, a shake of the head, or obvious facial expressions.

Lead ins.....:
How are you....
Can you point to it?
Did something happen?
Need to see a doctor?

When you are not clicking with your own questions, take it even slower, and allow the person to come out with words or gestures, without quickening the "conversation".

My experience with this has been very rewarding, as the person I'm dealing with feels friendship and not stress. If frustration starts to show, give it a break, with some excuse to lower the anxiety level.

Just my take... It seems to work for me, as I can often break through the frustration, even when the nurses have given up.

I haven't heard of any machine or electronic device being used, and we live in a state of the art CCRC, with advanced nursing and memory care.
I would like to see some of your lead in questions in some kind of tablet program form. Like a flow chart with simple questions that would be comment questions or situations that arise in hospitals. A tablet you could hold and point to large font simple phrases and the patient could nod or blick or squeeze a finger or mouse like implement when the correct phase is selected.

I would like to see some of your lead in questions in some kind of tablet program form. Like a flow chart with simple questions that would be comment questions or situations that arise in hospitals. A tablet you could hold and point to large font simple phrases and the patient could nod or blick or squeeze a finger or mouse like implement when the correct phase is selected.
No nurses or doctors o. This site with some experience or feedback on this issue?

Check the device used in this TV show about a family with a disabled child:

https://youtu.be/eiBnuJEXumc?t=73

If you search using some of these terms, you will find more options:

Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)

Assistive technology for AAC (augmentative & alternative communication)

SGD (speech generating devices)

-ERD50

Last edited:
Check the device used in this TV show about a family with a disabled child:

https://youtu.be/eiBnuJEXumc?t=73

If you search using some of these terms, you will find more options:

Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)

Assistive technology for AAC (augmentative & alternative communication)

SGD (speech generating devices)

-ERD50
Thank you for the input and suggestions.

Lead ins.....:
How are you....
Can you point to it?
Did something happen?
Need to see a doctor?

This is such a thoughtful response. The sort of advice that should be handed out to all family members. Having those go to phrases can make a huge difference.

While it feels like an app would be the perfect solution, I can see how your approach would provide a much more connected interaction, even for more tech savvy people. For people of my parents generation, any tech solution would be a non starter.

Back
Top Bottom