Computer question

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I want to take a certain audio portion of a DVD and save it as an mp3 file. Is there anyway I can do this directly? One option would be to plug an external DVD player to my sound card and record the portion I want. But is there anyway I can do this extracting the audio from the DVD while it is in the DVD drive of the computer? Can you record to the sound card using an internal device? Thanks.

The easiest way would be to play the DVD on the computer and record what you are hearing. Your computer/sound card may or may not have that capability. I had to download a different version of my driver in order to do it.

This may be different on yours, but choose Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Sound Recording, Sound Recording Volume. If there is a control for Stereo Mix, select it. Then you can record with sndrec32, or audacity, or other app while the dvd is playing.

Or, you could do this.

This may be "overkill" for you but I use Total Recorder for all my computer recording -- audio as well as video. The advantage of this program is that if you can hear it, you can record it and if you can see it, you can record it since it uses your speakers and/or your monitor as the source. (Think about it)

It can get a little expensive if you purchase all the bells and whistles but you can start small and "grow" it to a fairly professional recording application.

download Audacity. Play the dvd and record what comes out. Audacity is also great for editing wav files. To convert to mp3 you will also have to install 'Lame'. Both are free

Back
Top Bottom