Condo Hunt

Lots of interest in living in the big City. Here's one solution to the high prices. http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2008/08/25/story2.html?t=printable

When I was in my just over 200sf Waikiki rental I decided that I actually could live in that small a space since most of my living would be outside on the beach and in the park. I actually will live in 500sf.

Ha, have you looked around for the new communal living arrangements where there are small apartments/bungalows and some communal space in downtown locations? I haven't seen anything here in the City but read about several projects in Berkeley?

Except for the age of the units - these look like subsidized housing AT about $1,000 a sf. Wow downtown SF is EXPENSIVE - makes homeless LBYM.

Well, I seem to have a different profile from many posters here. But as far as I know I am not attracted to a small place. There are many cutesy smaller towns and tourist areas around here. I never go to any of them, always preferring to spend any free time right here. I need the variety and diversion and resources of a big city. Also, I get along well with my family and do not want to leave where they are. I realize that some have said at least that they don't want to be too close to family- not me, the closer the better IMO. The annual grandpa visit seems sad to me.

I prefer coastal CA weather and beaches to here, but that is hardly a smaller place! There is no place that I know of that is attractive to me that would solve the main negative for me here- cost of living.

Guess I mis-read your feelings on that. The ideal, I suppose, is a large, diverse city with a solid compatible neighborhood to meet our needs as social bugs.

Guess I mis-read your feelings on that. The ideal, I suppose, is a large, diverse city with a solid compatible neighborhood to meet our needs as social bugs.

This is a good point. There are several areas in the city that are much less anonymous than where I live now. But OTOH my building is full of outgoing people, and some of the neighborhood shops are personal too.

Ha

If I put my townhome on the market, I will likely rent for a time until I figure out what's what with the economy. But owning a townhome or condo would be last on my list of preferred housing in the future.

I'll give you another example why. Several days ago the neighbor's dog began barking and crying all day. The neighbor's left their windows open so the dog could have fresh air, I suppose, and that made the dog noise even louder. Contacting my HOA management resulted in a "courtesy letter" going out. When the dog was still barking misearably the next day I contacted HOA management again and they said they can only send out one letter every 10 days. WTF? They said I should contact Animal Control to "expedite" resolving the situation.

So, now it's the neighbors responsibility to deal with this dog situation. What good is the HOA management in this? No much. I'm going to be knocking on my neighbor's door this evening.

IMO, owning a townhome/condo has all the responsibilities of home ownership with all the disadvantages of apartment living.

OldBabe,
Perfect example. Buying a condo, apartment, trailer, parked car, just another way of saying, you get the neighbor as a sign up bonus. Got to love neighbors.

Of course, owning a home is not a lot better, move into the 39,000 sf home and have Bon Jovi move next door. Same problem.

Ha,
a nice trial run of really living downtown Seattle would be to have lunch at the diner on the corner of 2nd and Pike. Just did that. I loved it.

Yikes, Bon Jovi is like so ancient. Ick on a loud ole rockers. I suppose Gary Glitter rocks you also?

OldBabe,
Perfect example. Buying a condo, apartment, trailer, parked car, just another way of saying, you get the neighbor as a sign up bonus. Got to love neighbors.

Of course, owning a home is not a lot better, move into the 39,000 sf home and have Bon Jovi move next door. Same problem.

Frank and I have been thinking about our neighbors after we move north. Right now our neighbors are reasonable, but we both know how miserable life can be with rotten neighbors.

It would be especially nice if we could get two homes right next door to each other. Of course, an objectionable neighbor could move in across the street. Maybe we could find such houses with an open field across the street, or a cemetary or park.

When I was in high school, I knew a girl whose family owned an entire block or compound. Every house (mansion) was owned by various relatives. I thought that was interesting, though maybe a bit extreme.

Ha,
a nice trial run of really living downtown Seattle would be to have lunch at the diner on the corner of 2nd and Pike. Just did that. I loved it.

That is the place that looks like an old fashioned diner, on the south side of the street just up from the market? I've gone by there a lot, but never ate there.

I walk downtown all the time, I am quite close. Maybe sometime we can meet for coffee or a drink down that way.

Ha

Good luck on your search Ha! Not sure I would want a roommate now though. I enjoyed roommates back in my 20's, but I'm too set in my ways at this point. A dog is good though. I can bitch at her and she never complains.:)

We had a condo in downtown Sydney in the 90s and I would have to say never again. The location was great, however the hassles we had with noise, the Singaporean karaoke singer on one side and the Japanese exchange students who came home with all their friends at 2.00 a.m. every day, soon made us realise it was a mistake. We also found it a pain in the butt to pay for facilities we never used, ie. the pool and gym.

Ha, next time I visit Seattle, lunch is on me. But it will be a real dive with food cooked by minimum wage chefs, so probably awesome.

I'm not a local and the diner I mentioned was on the North East side of Pike/2nd or 3rd. The outside says Burgers, Seafood, etc. There will not be a single patron with a job or bank account, my kinda crowd. And the food awesome and filling.

The counter lady will either be a 60ish black lady with reading glasses and pincurl bangs or a 50ish Samoan lady.

A better meal is not found in Seattle for this old dude.

BTW, I viewed a 16th floor apartment in the Centennial up in Belltown has a complete Puget view and was awesome (Cliffor Fletcher). The McGuire (Seth) had a 22nd floor looking toward downtown. The Metropolitan has 30th floor at near $1900 (Jenn). Bell Tower (Katrina) had a G unit for $1580 looking at downtown.

Good luck.

That is the place that looks like an old fashioned diner, on the south side of the street just up from the market? I've gone by there a lot, but never ate there.

I walk downtown all the time, I am quite close. Maybe sometime we can meet for coffee or a drink down that way.

Ha

Maybe it just me but I would wait until a building had 10 years since construction/conversion. THEN you can see the quality. I wish I had the energy to write more....

Dang, I hate being in a cast! It's an internet gag. DH just told me that the surgeon showed him a picture of her work while I was in recovery... not only the plate & screws I was expecting, but wiring. No wonder it hurt ... VM is using Group Health Surg Center, I was impressed with the skills & sense of humor of the crew.

Back
Top Bottom