considering ereader wanted some input

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was considering buying an ereader and was wondering if the members here that have them would share the pros and cons of different makes and models? can you swap books with other people? when you purchase books are they yours permanently or just temporary? can you get books from the libraries and how does that work?

I was considering buying an ereader and was wondering if the members here that have them would share the pros and cons of different makes and models? can you swap books with other people? when you purchase books are they yours permanently or just temporary? can you get books from the libraries and how does that work?

Bought my wife the Sony Ereader for Xmas. She loves it. (finds it easier to read with than normal books considering she has mild arthritis in her fingers).
Pluses so far:
a) It's been easy and intuitive to use.
b) the battery life is quite long.
c) FREE BOOKS (we especially like public domain (read: dead) authors).
free hemingway, free conrad, etc....

Drawbacks so far:
a) weird software for loading books that can freeze.
b) our local library has a limited ebook selection (+/- 400 titles)
c) Ebooks are no less to purchase than ordinary books. SCAM ALERT !

The library downloading has been easy mind you. And the really cool thing is, no late fees ! (the book is a file on the reader. At the end of the lending period, it simply becomes unopenable).

I'm just working out a little "deal" now with a friend who lives in the big city next door. We're trading library card numbers.... since there are no "late fees" we don't have to worry about sharing access... cough, cough YMMV.

I will probably eventually (a year or two) pick up some sort of Android tablet. I want something that can serve as an eReader and a laptop replacement for travel. I'm in no rush since the local libraries are slow in getting ebook licenses. I am hopeful that within a few years the selection will be broad enough to make the reader viable. As a retired LBMMer I don't believe in buying books :)

I have a Barnes and Noble Nook. I love it!!! I got it because it uses the EPUB format -- which allows me to use a local library card for many of my books. Barnes and Noble also allows you to "lend" books to another nook owner. My husband and I have one account with two B&N Nooks linked to the account and in that way we buy books once and can both read them.

The most complete resource on the internet on ebook readers, etc is:

MobileRead Forums

They have forums on each of the major ebook readers and also can offer advise on how to select the best ebook reader for you.

Now or Later

I have a nook that generally works fine (though I occassionally have to battle the software).

Looking forward, I'd seriously consider an i-pad or other tablet....

one device, multiple functions, backlit.....

I would suggest that you think about where you PRESENTLY would go to get a book that you really really really want to read. Is it your local library? Amazon? B&N?

Then get an e-reader that will allow you to continue getting books from that source. I would suggest getting one that uses e-ink, which is the great technological improvement that along with low price has lead to the recent popularity of e-readers.

We have Kindles, which we love, and others love Nooks and other devices. I think all of them have access to an endless supply of free books and all of them allow lending.

I read whatever I want regardless of price, and really, while certain individual books may cost a lot, others do not and overall the cost per month has been trivial. However I would find it extremely aggravating if I wanted a particular book and it was not available for my device (hasn't happened yet).

Last edited:
+1 on the Sony Reader, I got one for Christmas and I love it. So far, I've gotten all my books from the library or free online.

I initially wanted a Kindle because you can use the web browser anywhere with the free 3G wireless. I thought it would be handy on occasion if I wanted to check email while traveling without having to bring a laptop. But the Kindle doesn't read library books. And actually I didn't like the controls on the new one as well as the old one. And sadly, I don't travel as much as I would like to anyway!

So then it was either the Nook or the Reader. The Reader's battery lasts longer and it's noticeably lighter than the Nook. I got the 7-in version, which lets you use the web browser at wireless hot spots (the 3G on the Sonys is only for getting things at the Reader Store, but that includes the free books in the public domain).

About the only things I don't like about it are the silver color (too much glare if you catch a bad angle when reading in the sun) and the software, which freezes sometimes when it's connected to the computer (annoying but not a serious problem).

I love it even more than I expected to. I really underestimated the fun of being able to browse for books and get them instantly without leaving home.

Edit to add: I only considered devices that use e-ink. I spend enough time as it is staring at a back-lit computer screen and e-ink is a lot easier on your eyes.

I have a Nook and I love it . I can lend my books plus I really like Barnes & Nobles recommendations . I have read a few books that I probably would not have considered . I still go to the library . I mostly use my Nook for books I want to read now and not wait for the library or spur of the moment reading . I also love it for traveling . I used to leave a trail of books now I just load up my reader and go.

I was given a Kindle for Christmas. It is pretty cool, I think. I have read two books on it thus far and find it pretty easy to use and very portable. I doubt I would have bought it for myself, but it is a nice little gadget.

I have the small Sony, my son has Sony and Nook. The Nook he has is 'rooted' i.e. he has access to the Android operating system it uses, and therefore functions as a tablet pc, and an E-reader.

The newest Kindle which fits in my pocket. Easy to use and visible in the daylight. I would try them all though

I got my wife an Ipad for Christmas, to replace an aging notebook. To my surprise, it is quite easy to read books on it. We are both avid readers, but I always thought it would be hard to give up real books. I'll let you know in a few months, if she lets me use it enough to read anything on it.

I got a Kindle for Christmas. I wasn't sure what to expect but like it so far. Have read a couple books plus transfered some other personal material. Battery seems to last a long time - I've only charged it once, initially.

My grandaughter was here yesterday and she wanted me to read her a story so we picked one out and I was reading it to her a few seconds later.

which websites do you use to get the free book downloads? I usually use the public library in town, or pick up a lot at garage sales. if the books become unopenable after the lending time do they stay in your memory or automatically delete themselves?

which websites do you use to get the free book downloads? I usually use the public library in town, or pick up a lot at garage sales. if the books become unopenable after the lending time do they stay in your memory or automatically delete themselves?
I have a Kindle. I get most of what I read from Project Gutenberg and amazon.com.

Coach

Also, for those who want to explore e-reading without investing in a device, you can download free software from your library, amazon, and/or sony (and probably b&n) and read e-books on your computer.

I know both amazon and sony have a section that lists free or very cheap e-books as part of their online stores (most of which is probably a link to Gutenberg)

Edit to add: the library e-books I've used become unopenable; you have to delete them manually.

I first had a Kindle (2nd ed) --

Pros - very light weight
Easy to read in strong light due to no backlight

Cons - can't read in dim/dark light
Grayscale only
Is only an ereader

Can read non-Kindle books on it but you can't use the Kindle software to read those non-Kindle books on non-Kindle devices

Iphone (ipod touch very similar) - I use the kindle software and kindle books.

Very portable, easy to read in dark

Con - small screen

iPad --

Pros - Beautiful screen, nice size, use Kindle software for most reading but iBooks software easily handles my non-Kindle books. iPad does a lot of other things as well which a like. This is actually my ereader of choice in most situations.

Cons - Cost is much higher than Kindle (didn't matter to me since I wanted all the other features). Heavier than the Kindle so not as good to read if you were, say, standing in line (but then I would use my iPhone in that situation).

On a Kindle account at Amazon you can have 6 devices so I can share books with my husband and son who have devices linked to the account.

Non-copy protected books can be shared with others if allowed by the license.

Books purchased are permanently yours.

There are some libraries that have ebooks, mine doesn't

Amazon often has some books on promotion so every week I usually can find 1 or 2 free books that I want.

I bought DW an IPad several months ago. It is the least memory and internet capable model. The biggest pros to me were the big screen, color, backlight, and Internet availability. I hadn't expected it but I love the stretch zoom-in and zoom-out features. The screen is outstanding. On trips, I have liked the gps maps feature. I planned to wait for the clones to come out, but bought myself my own IPad, too. It has been my unfrugal spending and I still love it. I am typing and browsing on it now.

Some cons are the lack of running flash, the unavailability of library downloads working, and the browser (Safari) isn't on par with my favorite Firefox.

For those with iPad there is finally a reader you can use to read library books. The app is called blue fire reader and it's free. And it is super easy to install and download adobe ePub library books. There still isn't a mobipockets iPad reader but the ePub app is great!

Back
Top Bottom