Considering Moving from Android to Apple

I really appreciate hearing from folks who transitioned to Apple devices. Thanks a bunch for sharing your experiences! I decided to purchase the 10th gen iPad with 256gb. It should be delivered in a week or so. Looking forward to receiving it.

I think you will really like it! I've always had a hybrid of Apple phones and Samsung tablets,, but recently decided to replace by aging Galaxy with an iPad. The androids always seemed to allow me more flexibility in a number of areas, but I find the Apples simpler. Good call on 256gb. I've learned the hard way over the years to always get more than I think I need...

Enjoy.

My android phone, a MOTO, is five years old this month. Cost me $140 CAD for a new, unlocked unit from Amazon that was set up for sprint.

After retirement I ordered an android tablet on the employee purchase page of my former employer....a large IT firm.

Prior to that I had been trying out my spouses Ipad from time to time.

After a month of using the android tablet I returned it for a refund. Then went out and bought an Ipad (with some degree of misplaced guilt toward my former employer).

It did not come down to technology or to cost. I found the Ipad easier and more comfortable to use. The android unit could well have been a better unit from a technical standpoint but for me it was all about ease of use. I place value/utility to me and ease of use above price.

Still use my W10 desktop...certainly will not give that up anytime soon.

Update: My iPad arrived yesterday, and I’m using it now to type this post.

It’s very nice, and I’m glad I made the purchase. There is a learning curve though. I definitely need to work on my swiping skills! [emoji16]

Thank again for all of your insights and recommendations!

We were trying to look up a phone number that my wife called a couple of months ago on her Iphone 6s. It's not there! It appears that the phone app only shows 'recent' call history, which is only a few weeks I believe. Then I looked at my Android call history, it goes back years. Not sure there's a simple way to retrieve that log on the Iphone.

We were trying to look up a phone number that my wife called a couple of months ago on her Iphone 6s. It's not there! It appears that the phone app only shows 'recent' call history, which is only a few weeks I believe. Then I looked at my Android call history, it goes back years. Not sure there's a simple way to retrieve that log on the Iphone.

Those details are in the monthly bill I get from T-Mobile.
Have you looked at your past bills for them?

That's because an iPhone only keeps the most recent 100 phone calls in the phone call history log. For most of us that's adequate but for anyone in sales it's woefully inadequate. For example, I have a friend who sells automotive accessories (sunroofs, heated seats, remote starters, etc.) to car dealerships. He easily has 20 phone calls PER DAY. If he needed to go back into his history to find out who he talked to a week ago, the records wouldn't be there. For this reason alone he's got a Samsung Android phone.

Last edited:
Yes should be there but should also be available without digging through old bills.

Exactly. In this digital age with phones that have at least 128G of internal memory there is no justifiable reason why someone should have to refer to a paper printout to see their phone call logs!

In the next year or two Apple will announce they are adding a "new" feature--Expanded Recent Phone Call Logs, and the Apple fanbois will go crazy.

A year or so later they will add a pause button so you can pause while you are shooting a video. This will be touted as a "new" feature as well.

That's because an iPhone only keeps the most recent 100 phone calls in the phone call history log. For most of us that's adequate but for anyone in sales it's woefully inadequate.

Understandable. I don't make many voice calls so my recent call history goes back to May.

...Apple is reasonable IMO about supporting older devices, 5-6 years. And you can continue to use their devices after they officially quit supporting with software updates (due to processing power mostly, not arbitrarily quitting) though security won’t advance.
Also new apps stop supporting older releases of software (probably because of security).

....Still use my W10 desktop...certainly will not give that up anytime soon.
I also still have a W10 (now 11) laptop and I use Bluestacks to run TV shows (when travelling and in Mexico) with Tivimate.

I went the full Apple route a few years ago. Phone, iPad, iMac all work in harmony. Nothing ever freezes or needs rebooting, a very stable platform. Now I cringe when I have to use a Microsoft application.

Switching to iOS and macOS in 2021 after a decade of using android and windows was such a hard transition. I've bought myself a new iPhone 13 and I must admit I felt locked for the first few months but then realized it doesn’t need much after all. It’s less complicated and the integration between each apple device is superb. It’s easier to explain these things to non-techy people like my wife, it’s more straightforward and apps are more stable. The security and privacy features are what I want for my family in this digital age of ours

The security and privacy features are what I want for my family in this digital age of ours

This is the main reason for my switch.

The learning curve is real and my “muscle memory” is still Android. That said, I am less frustrated today than I was last Friday. I’m hoping that a couple weeks from now, I’ll feel pretty comfortable with it.

Because of the easy integration between products, I do eventually want an iPhone. Right now I’m leaning towards the 14 Pro, but I plan to hold off a few weeks so I don’t make a rash decision.

I have both an Android and an iPhone. I don’t find switching back and forth to be an issue. The have more similarities than differences. My primary phone is an Android. My backup is an iPhone. I prefer the Android.

The people I know that have androids generally are people that like to tinker with their phones and the apps. I view Apple as basically plug and play. The other issue is generally that Apple equipment is expensive compared to many of the android counterparts.

I started with Android, switched to Apple 7-8 years ago and then switched back to Android a couple years ago. In my view, both systems are pretty comparable nowadays as far as performance. Android is more customizable, but that can be a liability if people get too carried away with a lot of third party apps. I think it's up to the user to make the Android as simple or as complicated as they want.

I'm really happy with my Samsung S21 Ultra and it's integration with Google and the Samsung cloud ecosystems. Wife has a one year old Apple flagship phone. Apple / Android competition has been great for improving both systems!

Sadly, we didn't read something like this until after we had set up our iPhones with new service and phone numbers. Our kid set up the phones for DW and I on Google Fi (MVNO). I have zero interest in going through setup again and resetting the phones (all copy methods I've read require this), so now we have text messages on our Android phones that look to be stuck there.

All methods of copying existing Android text messages to a computer to be able to read them seem kludgy and won't even deal with MMS messages, only SMS. As it is, we have so many messages over the course of 5+ years that I am not sure I would want them on our new iPhones. But there are some messages we really would like backed up.

I was able to figure out how to move contacts over, and the photos taken and downloaded on the old phones are backed up on my computer (and backups to that). We still have service on our old phones at least through tomorrow, so maybe someone has a suggestion that might help us.

Last edited:
I went from an android to an apple about 5 months ago. wish I would have stayed with android. apple is very invasive. loads apps without permission. if you inquire about a product on the internet and then go to my local paper to read it I get advertisements for the product I was searching for immediately. next phone will be android for sure.

I went from an android to an apple about 5 months ago. wish I would have stayed with android. apple is very invasive. loads apps without permission. if you inquire about a product on the internet and then go to my local paper to read it I get advertisements for the product I was searching for immediately. next phone will be android for sure.

I did what you did 10 years ago, then went back to Android. Got fed up really fast of AppleJail. Maybe when I am older and am losing my marbles, I will go back to Apple.

That is probably Google Adsense not Apple. When you search, google tracks you and serves ads back on any site

That is probably Google Adsense not Apple. When you search, google tracks you and serves ads back on any site

Likely not Google AdSense if using the iPhone's default browser which is Safari.

I use a Google Pixel 3. For some reason I've had no problems (about 5 years?) She uses an older iphone and has problems. Always.

I don't mind that Apple exists, or that some love the devices. All major tech companies are invading your privacy. It may sound like one company is more protective, but just wait.

I will get her an iphone replacement soon.

We are enjoying the iPads we purchased last year, but still haven’t moved to iPhones. These last few posts are reinforcing our “let’s really think this through” plan.

If I moved to an i-phone, it would be because of the air-tag.

I believe air-tags work so well because by default all i-phone users are running software that interacts with the air-tag, so there is a giant network of scanning phones world wide.

Android, makes you download an app and run it. So unlikely anyone is doing that for my android tag , not to mention , the android tags are fragmented into a number of different manufacturer's , each with their own app.

Back
Top Bottom