Consolidated 2020 (2d half) RIP Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP, I always liked the parts he played in movies.

I remember educating would-be hockey fans about why the Canadiens had CH on their jersies. I loved watching both Richards and Beliveau playing.

I remember educating would-be hockey fans about why the Canadiens had CH on their jersies.

Center Hice. :LOL:

En Toulouse, France, la même chose:

Last edited:
For some reason I remember John Saxon most for his roles in two Gene Roddenberry pilots, 'Planet Earth' and 'Strange New World'. I guess I was ever hopeful that Star Trek would be revived and interested in anything that Roddenberry had a hand in.

I recently watched a BBC documentary about Peter Green.

Here is a comment about that documentary from wiki:
Note: Fleetwood and McVie both were interviewed about this, and they both felt Green was never the same after the LSD party in Munich.

In a 2009 BBC documentary about Peter Green, and also in Bob Brunning's 1998 history of Fleetwood Mac,[91] the band's manager, Clifford Davis, blamed Kirwan's mental deterioration on the same incident in March 1970 that is alleged to have damaged Green's mental stability: a reaction to LSD taken at a hippie commune in Munich in the middle of a European tour. Davis said, "Peter Green and Danny Kirwan both went together to that house in Munich, both of them took acid as I understand it, [and] both of them, as of that day, became seriously mentally ill."[92]
All three of those guys had serious issues with schizophrenia. I suspect that had a lot more to do with their lives and situations than LSD. And recently LSD has been used to treat certain mental illnesses. Not that I would recommend dropping acid in non-clinical situations if you are suffering from mental illness. But the idea that it causes the syndromes is not accurate. Or I'd be a lot crazier than I am.

And, as an aside, Syd Barrett was in Pink Floyd, not the Mac.

Wilford Brimley 85

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilford_Brimley

Anthony Wilford Brimley (September 27, 1934 – August 1, 2020) was an American actor and singer.[1] After serving in the Marines and taking on a variety of odd jobs, he became an extra for Western films, and in little more than a decade he had established himself as a character actor in films such as The China Syndrome (1979), The Thing (1982), and The Natural (1984). He was the long-time face of television advertisements for the Quaker Oats Company.[2] He also promoted diabetes education and appeared in related commercials for Liberty Medical.

I always remembered Wilford Brimley because he was eight years to the day older than me and always looked old enough to be my father......I recall thinking on numerous occasions "Wow, is that how old I'm going to look in a measly eight years?"

Liked him in Cocoon.

From the Wikipedia article:
Brimley was only 49 when he was cast in the Cocoon role, and turned 50 during filming; he was at least 20 years younger than any of the actors playing the other retirement home residents. In order to look the part, Brimley bleached his hair and moustache to turn them gray, and had wrinkles and liver spots drawn on his face.

Me, too. But he must have been in his 40's then to play an "old geezer"?
He did much towards Diabetes education.

Yeah he was close to 50. Good point. He always looked older than he was.

If his name wasn't Wilford Brimley, he might have been in that legion of character actors whose face you know but whose name escapes you -- guys like Bing Russell or Whit Bissell. Maybe the extra syllable in his name had some magic.

Then again, his on-screen persona was pretty consistent, from "The China Syndrome" to the Quaker Oats commercials. Straight-talking, if a little grumpy. Gruff, but honest. A man you could trust. Maybe that made him stand out.

Geez. Talk about typecast.

I really liked him in Remo Williams. He played a shadowy government character... about 15 years older than his real age when he filmed it..

Now actors try and look 15 years younger than they are. And act about half as well.

RIP.

I always thought he was one of the old men in the Bartles & Jaymes wine cooler commercials. Looked it up and I was wrong. Anyway, he was always an interesting character wherever he was cast.

He was great in The Natural. His team the Knights were getting their buts kicked when Robert Redford (Roy Hobbs) showed up as a 30 year old rookie and he stomped around in the dugout saying "I should have been a farmer".... youtube it for a great baseball scene. He must be about the same age as Robert Redford.

A few years earlier he was also with Robert Redford ( Sonny Steel ) in The Electric Horseman. Great movie if you haven't seen it.

Wilford Brimley 85

He was great in The Natural. His team the Knights were getting their buts kicked when Robert Redford (Roy Hobbs) showed up as a 30 year old rookie and he stomped around in the dugout saying "I should have been a farmer".... youtube it for a great baseball scene. He must be about the same age as Robert Redford.

A few years earlier he was also with Robert Redford ( Sonny Steel ) in The Electric Horseman. Great movie if you haven't seen it.

Brimley’s scenes with Richard Farnsworth (“Red”) are great in The Natural.

Aside: Bernard Malamud’s novel is good baseball summertime reading. A very different Roy Hobbs than the movie.

Geez. Talk about typecast.

I really liked him in Remo Williams. He played a shadowy government character... about 15 years older than his real age when he filmed it..
When I read this, the movie "Remo Williams" was the first thing I thought of.

RIP

Two great scenes (second at about 3:10)

RIP Trini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom