Contact Tracing

Status
Not open for further replies.

txtig

Full time employment: Posting here.
I see that my iPhone now has a COVID contact tracing function (built into the iOS, not a separate app). You have to enable it, since it’s turned off by default.

Not sure how I feel about enabling this. It seems like it could alert you to a potential exposure. But, you’re also surrendering another piece of you privacy.

Have y’all enabled this functionality?

Yeah my understanding too.

Only 4 states have said they will develop apps. which use the iOS and Android frameworks.

Others have privacy concerns.

Lot of other countries already have apps and not just the ones in Asia but also in Europe.

However, they said it won't be a substitute for human contact tracers working for public health agencies who will apparently follow up with the infected to make sure they're in quarantine.

And the apps. will have to have a real high percentage compliance.

Doesn't seem there would be enough people in the US interested in complying.

The protocol is written to protect your privacy, and from what I can gather from people who know this stuff, it does a pretty good job on the privacy side of things.

The problem is that it's probably going to be ineffective because the technology isn't really good enough.

From BuzzFeed:

My problem with contact tracing apps is that they have absolutely no value," Bruce Schneier, a privacy expert and fellow at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, told BuzzFeed News. "I'm not even talking about the privacy concerns, I mean the efficacy. Does anybody think this will do something useful? ... This is just something governments want to do for the hell of it. To me, it's just techies doing techie things because they don't know what else to do.

To read more from Bruce: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2020/05/me_on_covad-19_.html

In Bangkok we have a government app that allows you to check into a location by scanning a QR code. Alternatively you can sign into a paper logbook with your name and phone number. It is mainly used used when entering malls and they can refuse to allow you entry. Some individual stores will do this as well. I make a point of checking out to so that I am not contacted (hopefully) if an infected person visits that location after me. It is obviously of limited scope but it should work for you if you use it.

In my area librarians from the public library are doing contract tracing. There was an interesting article in the Raleigh News and Observer about this and they interviewed several librarian/contact tracers. It sounds like they are ding a pretty good job and they have a 95% success rate in locating people. I was surprised it was so high. They also said that by the time they contact many people they already know they have been exposed (I guess the infected person must have called and let their family and friends know).

I just read an article today about how difficult a time they are having in the US with contact tracing. And with the new surge they can’t keep up. People usually take 2 days to respond (if they call at all) which is 2 more days to infect people. Found the article from AP.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/tracking-coronavirus-cases-proves-difficult-amid-new-surge
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, said Friday that contact tracing simply isn’t working in the U.S.

Some who test positive don’t cooperate because they don’t feel sick. Others refuse testing even after being exposed. Some never call back contact tracers. And still others simply object to sharing any information.

Another new challenge: More young people are getting infected, and they’re less likely to feel sick or believe that they’re a danger to others.

In Louisiana, only 59% of those who have tested positive since mid-May have responded to phone calls from contact tracers, according to the latest data from the state health department. Just one-third answered within the crucial first 24 hours after the test results. Tracers there get an answered phone call, on average, more than two days after receiving information about the positive test.

Perry N. Halkitis, dean of the Rutgers School of Public Health, said COVID-19 spreads so fast that contact tracers need to get in touch with 75% of the potentially exposed people within 24 hours of their exposure to successfully combat the spread.

Last edited:
Illinois just opened up to level 4. Here's what happened locally. Hosts of the party made everyone sign a waiver, then let all who attended mingle in the community after the prom party. No thought to the slightest possibility "their guests" would carry such a virus!!

https://www.news-gazette.com/coronavirus/7-businesses-impacted-by-unofficial-prom/article_67dc682a-a75e-5ecb-930f-e4262db3011d.html#utm_source=news-gazette.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletters%2Fcoronavirus%2F%3F-dc%3D1593525603&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline

There are accounts of people not bothering to call back contact tracers or few of them isolating after confirmed test. They're circulating among the community after being told to quarantine.

So contact tracing isn't going to work it seems.

It’s just incredible to me that someone testing positive for Covid-19 would not quarantine themselves and stay away from other people. I guess they don’t understand that they can easily spread the disease and endanger other people, or they just don’t care.

Figure I saw was 1 in 5 in the Seattle area would comply with quarantining themselves after a positive test, or maybe it was all of WA state.

I see that my iPhone now has a COVID contact tracing function (built into the iOS, not a separate app). You have to enable it, since it’s
....you’re also surrendering another piece of you privacy.

Have y’all enabled this functionality?

No. Will not enable.

I think that this may become mandatory with no opt-out, along with human micro-chipping, required vaccinations, pledging allegiance to the UN/WHO/NWO....

Gotta run....the black helicopters are coming for me :dance::dance:

I think the operative phrase is 'Not my problem."

Of course there are horrific tales about one person infecting their whole family, including some vulnerable members.

I heard in some parts of Europe people were required to give their contact info when they entered a bar or restaurant, which would keep this info and log who was in the place.

Turns out a lot of the contact info. was fake.

Seems like contact tracing works in Asian countries, not so much Western countries.

I heard in some parts of Europe people were required to give their contact info when they entered a bar or restaurant, which would keep this info and log who was in the place.

Turns out a lot of the contact info. was fake.

Seems like contact tracing works in Asian countries, not so much Western countries.

France designed a contact tracing app for smartphones. The government cannot mandate its use because of privacy laws. So they rely on voluntary compliance, which has been very low and renders the app almost useless.

France designed a contact tracing app for smartphones. The government cannot mandate its use because of privacy laws. So they rely on voluntary compliance, which has been very low and renders the app almost useless.

Still doesn't quite make you long for the old "Your papers, please" days though, does it. :cool:

Still doesn't quite make you long for the old "Your papers, please" days though, does it. :cool:

Europe also required people to print out forms indicating where they were going during the pandemic lockdown which they just eased.

So going to the store, to the pharmacy, to jobs.

There were strict limits on how far away one could go even for these permitted activities.

They must have had enough cops out to check these forms. Compliance seemed high.

Now of course, bars and restaurants take your info. down but people are putting down false info.

In China they required you to use app. which generates a barcode, which has to be registered any time you go in some store.

So that's how they logged who was in which place.

I guess Americans won't comply to these kinds of measures in high enough numbers to matter.

Also police may not be interested in checking forms for where you're going either.

Seems like Americans either think the risk isn't that great or they're banking on vaccines and treatments soon.

I think the US is going to have to crack down on people who do not respond to contact tracers or who give them false information. Typhoid Mary finally had to be locked up after she had infected over 50 people. When the seatbelt requirement was enacted many people ignored it until the fines got up to several hundred dollars per offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom