Converting Mutual Funds to Exchange Traded Funds

Ok, fine.
But converting mutual funds to ETFs is a completely different thing from doing Roth conversions.

I use limit orders to buy additional ETF shares but I'm not sure how one could use limit orders to do Roth conversions. I never did...

Yes, that I know.

I did the conversion from cash in my settlement fund in the traditional IRA, and then placed the limit order in the Roth account.

We recently converted SEPs and Roths over to ETFs. It wasn’t difficult, but a little tricky especially with Vanguards so-so customer service. You are basically closing one account and opening another, so you have to set up beneficiaries for the new account.

We recently converted SEPs and Roths over to ETFs. It wasn’t difficult, but a little tricky especially with Vanguards so-so customer service. You are basically closing one account and opening another, so you have to set up beneficiaries for the new account.

That sounds odd to me.
I have two MFs and five ETFs in my taxable Vanguard account.
I suppose I could change to all ETFs but I don't see why I would need to close/ open any accounts.

Vanguard had a push a few years ago to get customers to convert from old style MF-only accounts to brokerage accounts. Maybe you didn't do it back then...

Last edited:
Vanguard had a push a few years ago to get customers to convert from old style MF-only accounts to brokerage accounts. Maybe you didn't do it back then...

That makes sense. I was wondering since I have ETFs and funds in the same account

I started off years ago in mutual funds (ETFs were not around) so I have continued with MFs just to be consistent. I do not see much difference really.

The difference appears if you are putting new money into those funds on a regular basis.
If you are just holding what you've owned for years, it doesn't matter...

Back
Top Bottom