Coping with a disability

(emphasis mine)

Imoldernu, how are the walk in closets eldercare or handicap friendly? I'm not challenging you, but I just don't get it.

One suggestion that might be helpful, are motion detecting night lights. I love mine and I think they prevent falls. I have some that plug in, and others that are battery operated for my hallway which does not have any outlets.

The motion light is an excellent idea. We have tap-a-lights next to the bed, and keep the living area and bathroom lights on... dimmed, all night.

As to the walk-in closet... perhaps not necessarily required, but ours is quite large, and wheelchair accessible. The requirements for wheelchairs to turn around, is a 5 ft. circle. Also, though we haven't installed them, there are hydraulic closet rods available which drop down for wheelchair accessibility
Another possibility for wheelchair access, is an under the bathroom "counter" open area to allow getting closer to the sink and flexible hose shower heads are a must.

I didn't mention raised toilets, or the many grab bars in the bath, or by the bed, which can also be helpful.

General recommendations for handicap areas include solid floors... tile or hardwood, but we don't agree with this. Our carpeting is high quality low pile, with firm cushions that make wheelchair movement easy, while providing warmth and protection against slipping.

Since we live in a regular home in a CCRC community, we get a chance to see how others adapt to disabilities... some quite creative, such as permanent floor mounted railings for movement between rooms, and lowered tables... wheelchair level. Anything that can help avoid bending over or help in getting up from a bed or any seated position makes for more comfort for the disabled.

Another simple item that we use is a two way intercom type baby monitor. With vaulted ceilings, and carpeting, sound doesn't travel well, and this helps.

All of this may seem to be overkill, and not on the wish list for younger people, but for those who expect to live in the home over the long haul, it may make sense to plan ahead when building new, or remodeling.

I think I misunderstood this thread. Mr. Old briefly mentioned his wife's "minor difficulty", then went on to apply his great experience in pedagogy to helping us understand the general problem of disability in the overall structure of life and the universe in the context of ER.

A much larger problem, which could perhaps not be helped very much by Old just doing the chores himself.

Ha

Yeah... guess you're right. :blush:
Been a slow day...

My boyfriend was in an industrial accident so broke his pelvis and crushed his right hand. Using a walker with one hand meant a place to put his forearm and strap it down. He had surgery on his right hand and when he told them he could still move his fingers they made the cast bigger so he couldn't. He was a student so had to take notes left handed and the day they did surgery was a final exam that was essay so they let him take it on the way home from the hospital and let me write it for him. He wanted to tape record his class but his teacher didn't want him to so every day I took him to school and waited for him then when we got home he read me his left handed notes and I wrote them right handed.
Bathing with a broken pelvis and cast on the hand wasn't too bad. We got a seat for the shower and I put garbage bags on his hand with rubber bands then he could shower with the hand held shower.

Back
Top Bottom