Coronavirus - Health aspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I have observed several big names popping more than 10% after 4th quarter earnings reports. While I do not own these individual shares, except in MFs or ETFs, it is good to see the market still responds to good news. Could be FOMO, or it could be money chasing something better than negative bonds.

However, those reports are trailing earnings and old news. What lays ahead is more important, and we still don't know the impact of this virus.

I am not buying nor selling anything, but may have to buy quite a bit at month's end when my put options get assigned. I set the strike prices reasonably low, because I expected to make the money from the premium and not have to own the stocks. A few are now in-the-money. Darn! :)

PS. If all of my put options get in-the-money and exercised, the total value would boost my stock AA by about 10%. I hope my stash will not shrink so much that the 10% becomes something even higher. :) These put options were sold before the news of the virus outbreak, else the premium would be a lot higher.

Last edited:
I dance with a number of Chinese and other Asian people who tend to travel quite a bit to see family. Everyone is quite concerned here in Chicago.

I was discussing this subject with a friend who both he and a child had developed pneumonia a long time ago. Back then the were advised to sleep sitting up and the daughter even had a brace on her arms to keep them from limiting rib movement during the breathing in process. I've not seen pictures of anyone sitting up in beds and am wondering if old tech would help?

I had pneumonia 20 years ago and I couldn’t breathe if laying down.

My 93-year-old mother-in-law just recovered from a simple cold which did not even give her a fever, nor much coughing or sneezing. Yet, it caused her lungs to collapse and landed her in the hospital. They were able to re-inflate her lungs, but she developed some other digestive and urinary problems that made life miserable for her until she recovered from those as well.

If she did not get the excellent medical care, she would have died a miserable death from just a simple cold, not even a flu.

When we were building our RV I used a 3M full face mask with cartridge filters because of the very toxic cyanurate fumes. I did switch to a forced air system because I was worried the cartridges would become saturated but it was amazing the difference between having the mask on and taking it off. It filtered all chemicals and smells, and also was N95 (or better?).

The other nice thing is it covers the eyes. It is actually quite comfortable to wear, I had it on for hours when sanding. I bet you could be near 100% safe with this on. I would wear one if in China for sure. I paid about $180 for mine.

Attachments

• 3mmask.jpg
    3mmask.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 60
^^^ I have never used such a mask, but the cartridges have carbon filters that can even absorb unwanted gas molecules. I would think that it would be very effective against viruses.

Back on investing, thinking more about this, I now remember that it is good that some people step up to buy stocks, even if I don't.

Gotta have some buyers to meet selling demands, else the market would drop even more.

Last edited:
I sold 99% of our carnival stock today. But purchased token amounts of a lot of stock I sold a few weeks to a few months ago, and put most of the carnival stock money into a dividend paying stock not in the travel sector. Most of the stuff I repurchased was lower than where I sold at as they had peaked early.

I am at 93/7 currently and am casually looking for opportunities to move toward 95/5.

The market today is tempting to do some of that, however I know that I have a tendency to buy too soon into drops, so I'm holding off. My gut level rule is to buy when I and others are more worried and fearful than they are now. So I am interested in buying but am waiting.

(It would be a move from bonds into stocks, and would be inside my IRA.)

I am holding a 7-figure cash amount right now, but some of that may go towards the puts that may get assigned on Feb 21 expiry.

I will have to sit on my hands until that date approaches to see how much cash I have left, in order to decide what to do next.

From that link:
The Bay Area's first case of the coronavirus from China has been confirmed in Santa Clara County, officials say.

We would all REALLY appreciate it if people would provide a bit of explication of links they post here.

From that link:

We would all REALLY appreciate it if people would provide a bit of explication of links they post here.

+1, so two requests:

1. New info? Post a link to a reputable source
  2. Posting a link? Don't do "ooh lookie here" - provide the most pertinent details in a short quote or synopsis (not a total 4 para copy-pasta infringement, but short basics please)

+1, so two requests:

1. New info? Post a link to a reputable source
  2. Posting a link? Don't do "ooh lookie here" - provide the most pertinent details in a short quote or synopsis (not a total 4 para copy-pasta infringement, but short basics please)

"Reputable source" is a news article from a local Bay Area TV station quoting the CDC. Subsequent information released at a county health department news conference and quoted in the updated news post was that the individual returned from Wuhan on January 24th, is mildly ill, and is self isolating, as are others that were exposed to him. He came through the San Jose airport, per a prior version of the article.

Last edited:
"Reputable source" is a news article from a local Bay Area TV station quoting the CDC. Subsequent information released at a county health department news conference and quoted in the updated news post was that the individual returned from Wuhan on January 24th, is mildly ill, and is self isolating, as are others that were exposed to him. He came through the San Jose airport, per a prior version of the article.

I don't know what happened to the initial video clip that was on the link you provided! Wow, the clip was great! It looked like a makeshift, on-the-fly filming done outside with a lot of background noise with a very strange camera movement at the beginning, but the health official explained in detail how they do investigations as well as explaining the circumstances of the patient with the coronavirus.

I don't know what happened to the initial video clip that was on the link you provided! Wow, the clip was great! It looked like a makeshift, on-the-fly filming done outside with a lot of background noise with a very strange camera movement at the beginning, but the health official explained in detail how they do investigations as well as explaining the circumstances of the patient with the coronavirus.

The editors have "updated" several times. I'm sure excerpts from the news conference will make the news this evening.

I'll take a major correction for any reason at this point...we're way overdue! And hopefully it lasts until the end of the year.

"Reputable source" is a news article from a local Bay Area TV station quoting the CDC...

yes, and to be more clear I wasn't specifically referring to you in the "reputable source" part, just reiterating that from a few pages back, and now tagging on the "and please some summary" part. (so when the next thing comes along that might be good to add to the list, I will go 1,2, and 3).

Both points more to set a hopeful expectation going forward, rather than to chastise, and of course, knowing that both will be ignored by the time this thread goes over to the next page.

How's this for a trigger?
Water is found to contain a chemical that causes" reproductive and developmental, liver and kidney, and immunological effects, as well as high cholesterol and obesity.
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4540909002
If the health effects became pervasive in those cities, it could depress economic activity for a long time.
Throw in some coronavirus for extra effect.
It's not just in our water. It's in our teflon cookware,dental floss, sunscreen, food wrappers, post-it notes, Scotch-Guard, waterproofing for almost everything....it's in the blood of nearly all Americans who don't live off the grid in the middle of nowhere while raising their own food.

This too shall pass.

Yes. These events always do, starting from the Black Plague and who knows what came before that.

The matter that concerns the individuals is how to not pass along with it. :cool:

Last edited:
wouldn't think it a wise choice to invest in a company that has many china people working there.... the whole company could get wiped out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom