Coronavirus - Health aspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that cruise ship that was turned away from 5 ports before Cambodia let it dock? Now an 83 year old American woman has tested positive after flying to Malaysia. Considering the saga of the Diamond Princess, no one could see this coming? :facepalm:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/16/coronavirus-latest-updates-china-death-toll-rises.html

Bolding mine.

So she must have contracted it from an asymptomatic carrier, right ?? Unless SHE is "case zero." But how long was the whole ship in quarantine -- which would be the incubation period? Or did she contract right after debarking and show symptoms extremely quickly? Or was she symptomatic before debarking and not properly diagnosed?

Last edited:
Saw an interview this AM with Sen.Tom Cotton and Maria Bartaromo. He said that the virus did not originate in the Wuhan animal market. An epidemiologist said "virus came into the market before it came out of the market". Just a few miles away from the market is China's only bio-safety level 4 super laboratory (Wuhan Institute of Virology). It studies infectious diseases. Did it originate there? No one is China will comment and CDC and WHO want answers...

Last edited:
I dunno, if it were engineered, it would seem they could do a bit better. An engineered virus should be very deadly but have a long incubation period with no symptoms. Start with something like the Hanta virus, with its 33% mortality rate and up to 6 week incubation period, then make it easily transmitted from human to human.

Saw an interview this AM with Sen.Tom Cotton and Maria Bartaromo. He said that the virus did not originate in the Wuhan animal market. An epidemiologist said "virus came into the market before it came out of the market". Just a few miles away from the market is China's only bio-safety level 4 super laboratory. It studies infectious diseases. Did it originate there? No one is China will comment and CDC and WHO want answers...

Rightly or wrongly, but as expected, there's a denial:

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-02-...-19-patient-zero-rumors-O7Z5Vj9ASk/index.html

Nonsense. Everyone knows it started in the basement of Comet Ping Pong Pizza.

I don't think a virus is what you'd use for a weaponized disease. Too easy to spread, and you don't have a vaccine for it. It would kill the enemy and your folks too.

I don't think a virus is what you'd use for a weaponized disease. Too easy to spread, and you don't have a vaccine for it. It would kill the enemy and your folks too.

If you're going full conspiracy wacko the assumption is that the developer's DO have a vaccine that they have already secretly administered to the designated survivors.

Sad part is the wacko appears to be one of our senators? I think they've been working on a vaccine for SARS for years and still don't have one that works? I think it's like searching for the cure for the common cold.

Nonsense! It's clearly an alien virus.

Scientist Claims Coronavirus Was Brought to Earth By a Meteorite

In the case of the current Corona virus pandemic in China it is interesting to note that an exceptionally bright fireball event was seen on October 11 2019 over Sonjyan City in the Jilin Province of NE China. It is tempting to speculate that this event had a crucial role to play in what is now unfolding in throughout China. If a fragment of a loosely held carbonaceous meteorite carrying a cargo of viruses/bacteria entered the mesosphere and stratosphere at high speed ~30km/s, its inner core which survived incandescence would have got dispersed in the stratosphere and troposphere.

Saw an interview this AM with Sen.Tom Cotton and Maria Bartaromo. He said that the virus did not originate in the Wuhan animal market. An epidemiologist said "virus came into the market before it came out of the market". Just a few miles away from the market is China's only bio-safety level 4 super laboratory (Wuhan Institute of Virology). It studies infectious diseases. Did it originate there? No one is China will comment and CDC and WHO want answers...

Accidental release happened in the old USSR...and I bet still denied by them to this day.

It would not let me view it.
Here's a taste:

MUCH REMAINS UNKNOWN about the novel coronavirus ripping through China, but one thing is certain. The disease can cast a storm over the whole human body.

Such has been the nature of past zoonotic coronaviruses, ones that hopped from animals to humans like SARS and MERS. Unlike their common-cold-causing cousins, these emergent coronaviruses can spark a viral-induced fire throughout many of a person’s organs, and the new disease—dubbed "COVID-19" by the World Health Organization on Tuesday—is no exception when it is severe.

That helps explain why the COVID-19 epidemic has killed more than 1,500 people, surpassing the SARS death toll in a matter of weeks. While the death rate for COVID-19 appears to be a tenth of SARS, the novel coronavirus has spread faster.

On Sunday 2/16, China extended the lock down in Hubei province beyond the cities. All rural communities are now under lock down.

The government issued a notice on Sunday that stated that the provinces rural communities, which number about 200,000, are to be put on lockdown, with only one guarded entrance, according to the South China Morning Post. Once every three days, a person from each household will be permitted to leave their town to buy supplies.

"In principle, every villager should stay at home. If he really needs to step outside, he has to wear a mask and keep a minimum 1.5 meters from other people... All leisure and entertainment venues shall be shut down and all group activities shall be suspended. Weddings should be postponed, and funeral processes minimized ..."

... businesses were to cease operations until they were given an official go-ahead from authorities... all cars—excluding police vehicles, ambulances and those carrying important supplies—would be barred from traveling on the province's roads.

The total number of confirmed cases has reached 70,811 world-wide, with 1,775 deaths, and 11,369 recoveries.

On Sunday 2/16, China extended the lock down in Hubei province beyond the cities. All rural communities are now under lock down. ...
The total number of confirmed cases has reached 70,811 world-wide, with 1,775 deaths, and 11,369 recoveries.

71,811 according to this site https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The good news is that the number of newly reported cases per day has gone down and that the ratio of recoveries to deaths continues to climb.

On Sunday 2/16, China extended the lock down in Hubei province beyond the cities. All rural communities are now under lock down.

Talking with our daughter in LA yesterday she passed on an interesting story. She works for an e-sports company whose largest customer base is in China. She is working on an app-based game that is set in the same universe as the big e-sport game which is played on a PC. Like the PC version both the app and the playing of the game is free, income comes from all the extras that the gamers purchase. Chinese gamers have to play in-country because of the firewall preventing folks in China accessing the world-wide-web.

The new app-based game is currently being trialed in Romania and Australia only, and the first thing that happens when the app is downloaded and first opened is to choose your language in which you want to play the game.

Chinese is now the largest chosen language in the trial, and DD's company has concluded that since most gamers in China play the PC based game from internet cafes, and many of those folks are now quarantined at home that they have got around the Chinese internet firewall, connected to the Australian servers and downloaded the game app so they are not totally devoid of their favorite game, playing it from home on their phones and tablets.

There are both positive and negative implications to findings in a recent Harvard School of Public Health study that estimates undetected international COVID-19 spread. The negative:

"Using the second component of the Global Health Security index to stratify country likely detection capacities, we found that the ability to detect imported cases among high surveillance countries is 40% (95% HPDI 22% - 67%), among intermediate surveillance countries it is 37% (95% HPDI 18% - 68%), and among low surveillance countries it is 11% (95% HPDI 0% - 42%)."

The implication for the actual disease severity:
"We conclude that estimates of case counts in Wuhan based on assumptions of perfect detection in travelers may be underestimated by several fold, and severity correspondingly overestimated by several fold."

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.13.20022707v1.full.pdf

... Chinese is now the largest chosen language in the trial, and DD's company has concluded that since most gamers in China play the PC based game from internet cafes, and many of those folks are now quarantined at home that they have got around the Chinese internet firewall, connected to the Australian servers and downloaded the game app so they are not totally devoid of their favorite game, playing it from home on their phones and tablets.

While China blocks access to Youtube and Facebook and many other sites, it still allows access to foreigners via VPN. It would not make a difference to the Chinese who do not read a foreign language, however there are more and more younger Chinese who are not insular. They seek information from abroad, instead of listening to the narratives from the CCP.

Once they can get around the firewall with VPN, they will see that there are Chinese contents from abroad, and knowing a foreign language is no longer a necessity. The CCP of course knows this. It will be interesting to see how they can maintain a strong grip on the people, when the latter realize they have been kept from the truth.

This thread is so big that I cannot remember if I mentioned it but the death rate in China is 10x’s what’s being reported. They can tell by all the sulfur dioxide in the air that the reporter that stated there are 50 crematoriums running 24 hours/day is correct. He has disappeared.

Sad part is the wacko appears to be one of our senators? I think they've been working on a vaccine for SARS for years and still don't have one that works? I think it's like searching for the cure for the common cold.

Since you are mentioning a US senator and equating him to a wacko, I hope you are aware that infectious disease escape from labs has been an ongoing problem: https://thebulletin.org/2014/03/threatened-pandemics-and-laboratory-escapes-self-fulfilling-prophecies/#

Time will tell (maybe) whether Senator Cotton is out to lunch on this. (Or maybe we will never know how it really originated.) I'd just be careful calling people wacko who just might have information that you don't have, especially when dealing with a country that has [-]lied [/-] been slow in conveying information in the past (e.g. SARS)

p.s. For reference, here is an older (pre Corona) article in Nature magazine about the lab: https://www.nature.com/news/inside-the-chinese-lab-poised-to-study-world-s-most-dangerous-pathogens-1.21487

Since you are mentioning a US senator and equating him to a wacko, I hope you are aware that infectious disease escape from labs has been an ongoing problem: https://thebulletin.org/2014/03/threatened-pandemics-and-laboratory-escapes-self-fulfilling-prophecies/#

Time will tell (maybe) whether Senator Cotton is out to lunch on this. (Or maybe we will never know how it really originated.) I'd just be careful calling people wacko who just might have information that you don't have, especially when dealing with a country that has [-]lied [/-] been slow in conveying information in the past (e.g. SARS)

p.s. For reference, here is an older (pre Corona) article in Nature magazine about the lab: https://www.nature.com/news/inside-the-chinese-lab-poised-to-study-world-s-most-dangerous-pathogens-1.21487

If we're going with conspiracy theories, I'm actually going with the meteorite story posted earlier. Could the coronavirus have been sent by an alien intelligence? Ancient alien researchers say yes! :)

Now that testing of all individuals remaining on the Diamond Princess has begun, 70% of those testing positive are asymptomatic.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-more-cases-as-another-china-city-locked-down

The Chinese CDC published an epidemiological analysis today with lots of interesting stats. There's a typo in the first paragraph: it's based on 72314 cases of COVID-19 reported in their infectious disease information system as of February 11, 2020, including 44672 confirmed cases.
https://translate.google.com/transl...yangtse.com/zncontent/286852.html&prev=search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom