Coronavirus - Health aspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I'm not medically intelligent - if developing a vaccine is very unlikely, how are people to survive this virus. Simply upon their own immune systems?

If the medical community is not able to cure it, how are they "treating" it? Or are the victims simply hospitalized as a quarantine measure left to fight it on their own?

Obviously, many people survived the Plague, and the 1918 Spanish Flu. Even the scary Ebola kill rate is not 100%.

Survival of the fittest, I guess. Scary.

;
We also don't hear much about the seasonal influenza which is killing people at a much higher rate than the Coronaviruses. Why we are so concerned about this particular virus is beyond me.[/url]

My understanding is that the coronavirus kills at a much higher rate than the seasonal flu on average. And there's no vaccine for the coronavirus yet, so that's probably why people are so concerned.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html
Death rate
So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. That's much higher than the death rate linked to flu, which is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

Last edited:
Survival of the fittest, I guess. Scary.

I'm scheduled to be 78 in seven months...one of the target group.....can't run, can't hide; guess I'll just get on with my life while I have it.

;

My understanding is that the coronavirus kills at a much higher rate than the seasonal flu on average. And there's no vaccine for the coronavirus yet, so that's probably why people are so concerned.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

+1
What makes me nervous is:

• Kills at 10-25x the normal flu.
  • Twice as infectious.
  • No vaccines available for at least a year or two.
  • Carriers without symptoms can pass it on for up to 30 days.
The longer term worry is, what if this behaves like a regular flu, and circles the world every year moving from country to country each Winter.

Now South Korea has 433 infected - the majority of the 433 happened via just one superspreader being in a small space with way too many people from the same religious group. This spread happened in a matter of a few days...

I'm scheduled to be 78 in seven months...one of the target group.....can't run, can't hide; guess I'll just get on with my life while I have it.

Me too. I'll be 72 in June. Guess I will just get on with my life, and try not to do anything outstandingly stupid (as far as coronavirus exposure goes; the rest of my stupidity is welcome to remain).

Life is pretty good and really, every day when we get out of bed we are gambling on making it through the day. So, ok, the odds could be a little worse for us than for some others, but we are fine right now. There isn't a whole lot we can do to prepare for a possible epidemic, although I have filled my pantry with nonperishable food (as I always do for hurricane season, but I just did that a little early this year). Hopefully the coronavirus will soon mutate and then become easier to eradicate.

So, while we watch this unfold, let's whistle a happy tune:

Treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)

I just watched a "MedCram" on youtube from by pulmonologist Dr. Seheult and he lays out three papers that offer ideas to improve the survivability of ARDS: 1) Lower Tidal Volume (a setting on the ventilator), 2) Paralysis (so the patient can't change how the ventilator is set), and 3) Prone position (flipping the patient over for most of the day).

I wonder how many ICU's follow these processes.

Attachments

• ardsnotes.jpg
    ardsnotes.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 543
Where is this ACE-2 receptor?

Throughout the body or in the lungs?

Being older and having asthma makes me concerned because even a cold makes me sick for weeks. We really want to take our Europe trip in August but will decide when closer if it’s wise or not.

Well, nice knowing you, Nemo. I am a lot younger, but still in the 60+ group that drops like flies. :D

At any rate, I have lived a full life, have had the opportunity to travel quite a bit compared to the average person (but quite less than many posters here). If the virus gets me, well, my life certainly could have been a lot worse. I will not complain. :greetings10:

By the way, just check the status of my order on AliExpress. It left China on 2/16. Today is the 22nd. The previous order that I placed on Jan 24, right on the Chinese New Year Eve, took 5 days to be in my mailbox after leaving China.

It should be arriving any time now, unless the US customs is quarantining it, fumigating, or irradiating it to kill any potential virus. Does anyone know anything about how things shipped from China are handled diferently now?

PS. Oops, the previous order took 5 days between leaving China and getting handed to the US Postal. From there, it took a few more days to be in my mail box.

Last edited:
They need to elaborate on how the “mild” symptoms are like, how they compare to the flu.

Otherwise people are freaking out.

Saw a headline about Costa Mesa suing to block some facility in their city for being used as quarantine.

Then there are incidents against Asian Americans being accused of spreading disease or being refused motel rooms.

I just watched a "MedCram" on youtube from by pulmonologist Dr. Seheult and he lays out three papers that offer ideas to improve the survivability of ARDS: 1) Lower Tidal Volume (a setting on the ventilator), 2) Paralysis (so the patient can't change how the ventilator is set), and 3) Prone position (flipping the patient over for most of the day).

I wonder how many ICU's follow these processes.

My late husband had ARDS after heart surgery and that is exactly what they did . It was working until sepsis set in .

They are running out of space to put patients. The two makeshift hospitals that were built in a hurry and showcased are drops in the bucket.

Last week, there was some publicity about a college dormitory being taken over to shelter the sick. Schools were of course closed for the New Year Holiday, and were never reopened. The school, Wuhan Vocational College of Software Engineering, was commandeered by the government to house sick patients.

Workers were in a hurry, and simply tossed all students' belongings out as trash. Time is of the essence. Personal belongings are nothing compared to human lives.

EQbPp0BUUAIbuug.jpg

Last edited:
That's a dorm? Looks like a penitentiary.

Is there a difference? :)

The difference is school dormitories allow more personal belongings, which were thrown out in haste.

...The school, Wuhan Vocational College of Software Engineering, was commandeered by the government to house sick patients.

Workers were in a hurry, and simply tossed all students' belongings out as trash. Time is of the essence. Personal belongings are nothing compared to human lives.

EQbPp0BUUAIbuug.jpg

I bet many of the workers truly felt the personal belongings were nothing compared to the human lives.... especially since it was not their own belongings :LOL:

This will teach all the students next year to bring their laptops and backup drives home for the holidays :(

I am having math issues.

Deaths of those diagnosed by age
80+ 14.8%
70s 8.0%
60s 3.6%

Percent of US population by age
80+ 3.6%
70s 5.4%

Will everyone 80 or older who catches this virus die?

I'm 76, but in good health. I guess I have a chance to make it if infected.

Now, DW...that's another matter. She @74.5, has severe COPD (4 years in now), she's on O2 100% of the time, has osteoporosis, can't walk 20 feet without needing to stop and wait for more O2 to enter her bloodstream, has had a heart valve recently replaced, and is on 11 meds.

I guess if she gets either the flu or the coronavirus, we have a problem. :(

I bet many of the workers truly felt the personal belongings were nothing compared to the human lives.... especially since it was not their own belongings :LOL:

This will teach all the students next year to bring their laptops and backup drives home for the holidays :(

We are joking here, well I often do and make irreverent posts about serious matters and that may offend people, but we can imagine that Wuhan has been like a war zone. People are panicking. Pets were abandoned to die in locked up apartments. I read about a handicapped child who died when inadvertently left alone while his father was hospitalized.

Imagine when Europeans were dodging bombs in WW II, and might not be able to bury their dead, did they cry over some lost mementos?

Now, DW...that's another matter. She @74.5, has severe COPD (4 years in now), she's on O2 100% of the time, has osteoporosis, can't walk 20 feet without needing to stop and wait for more O2 to enter her bloodstream, has had a heart valve recently replaced, and is on 11 meds.

Man, that's tough....and so must she be to keep on going. Best wishes to you both, and good luck.

Man, that's tough....and so must she be to keep on going. Best wishes to you both, and good luck.

Thanks, our plan for her is to keep her in areas where there is little chance for exposure to the flu or other viruses, which means no travelling and no big group meetups. She's not even going to church this winter and spring.

Assume we have insufficient acute or ICU beds, will health care providers triage?

We are joking here, well I often do and make irreverent posts about serious matters and that may offend people, but we can imagine that Wuhan has been like a war zone. People are panicking. Pets were abandoned to die in locked up apartments. I read about a handicapped child who died when inadvertently left alone while his father was hospitalized.

Imagine when Europeans were dodging bombs in WW II, and might not be able to bury their dead, did they cry over some lost mementos?

In my defense the Chinese girl who made the video or commented/voiced over it, did express anger/disappointment at having all her stuff tossed out.

But you are correct, I was trying to see the humorous side.

Some of my posts are light hearted, or irreverent as well, probably because otherwise it's overly scary.

The empty streets of China, mean many/most people must be suffering, how can people in the city not be starving as the grocery supply chain is broken. They have not been paid in weeks either so where is the money to buy stuff, and is price gouging going on ?

Think of the logistics of feeding 11 million people in their houses.
If you are in one of those houses and have a heart attack, it's probably a death sentence as ambulances might be busy with covid-19 calls, and the hospital is already swamped with patients.

Now it is suggested Covid-19 last up to 30 days and some people have no symptoms so they have been spreading it for 30 days. All the airport checking by temp, never found anyone, and possibly folks were traveling the world with it weeks before we even thought to screen.
Now a person can get re-infected, so if you live though it once, does not mean you are safe, its more like the common cold in this way, except it kills about 2.3% of the time.

I feel soon this will be called a Pandemic, as it is spreading in multiple countries and they have not contained it.

It's so scary that it's possible we are watching the beginning of what will later be called the extinction event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom