Coronavirus - Travel impacts II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a question for you folks.
We are about to cancel our Dominican trip. We can cancel the hotel with no issue, but the airline fare is different.

We already paid 1200 for the airfare and have insurance coverage through Alliance.

I don't know the answer to your question, but is your Allianz insurance Cancel For Any Reason(CFAR)?

Here is a question for you folks.
We are about to cancel our Dominican trip. We can cancel the hotel with no issue, but the airline fare is different.

We already paid 1200 for the airfare and have insurance coverage through Alliance.
It states in the Alliance policy that an Epidemic is not covered. I asked how about if a pandemic is issued by the WHO?
The rep stated that if it is not stated that it is a covered event, then it is not covered.
I countered that it doesn't state anywhere in the policy that it is not covered as the default choice, if it is not stated as covered.
If a pandemic is declared, do you think I have a case for a claim?

Well what are C of C on your airfare, how much of the 1200 are you at risk of losing. I'd wait till the last minute according to your C of C before cancelling in case they loosen things up.

Well what are C of C on your airfare, how much of the 1200 are you at risk of losing. I'd wait till the last minute according to your C of C before cancelling in case they loosen things up.

Would lose all of it. Yeah we will wait until the last minute.

I don't know the answer to your question, but is your Allianz insurance Cancel For Any Reason(CFAR)?

Unfortunately it is not. Just run of the mill.

No.
They only pay for what is stated is covered, nothing else.

Have you asked the Airline,

1. perhaps they will refund you,
  2. or give you credit to use within a year,
  3. or if you had some other plan of travel, you could change the flight destination ?
It's worth asking them.

Okay will go the airline route. Just thought I could get them on a technicality on what is the rule if it is not stated anywhere.

As an aside, due to the sensitivity of the response concept built into these replies, I couldn't get the multiple quote response function to work.
Perhaps it is me.:blush:

Cancelled the August trip to the arts colony where you sit crowded on benches for performances and lectures next to folks from all over the region with many from NYC. Lots of chatting face to face. Turns out we're only out the deposit. The rental contract (private RE agency) could have been interpreted both ways. Having to write a large check today would have been a downer.

In asking about the final payment, I explained our concern was due to the virus. The rental agent sounded unsurprised but sad and exhausted. March 1 is the due date for the balances. She may be getting a lot of calls. This is impacting so many.

We're planning a driving trip halfway across the country for May.

An advantage is that we can cancel at any time without penalty.

I wonder if that means there will be more cars on the road this summer.

We literally cancelled the month-long European trip in 2016 on the tarmac. Long-story short, I'd been mis-diagnosed, then tentatively diagnosed with an extremely unusual condition, with medicinal intervention seemingly failing but not due to return for more exploration until after our return. Food intake was uncertain at best.

The international flight developed unexplained vibration 4 hours out, diverted to JFK where after hours in line we ended up in a dump in Queens trying to get seat reservations on the next-days flight. At 4 am I conceded defeat and called American Airlines. Time to go home and get 'fixed' properly - which I did.

American Airlines was great - even though we'd taken the first flight segment to the gateway city, used the hotel credit they completely refunded our miles and threw in a bunch of additional miles and about $300 for the aborted flight.

Best yet, by that time a number of the hotels on booking.com had passed their cancel-for-free date. Not one of them ever put through a charge. We had travel insurance but the odd circumstances left me in technical violation of two provisions of the fine print. Decided against even attempting to file a claim. Loss was only about $1000, with the decision to finally cancel very much the right one.

Last edited:
We now always have year long secondary medical and evac insurance for traveling. This is because on every (or at least 10/11) cruises, we have seen one or more people evacuated off the ship.

The cost for secondary medical and evac ins for a year (70 days per trip max) is only $200. It covers as many trips as we can do in a year.

A cruise ship is a good way to judge this, as it's extremely hard to hide the evacuation of a guest, whereas in a city with 3,000 tourists, when 1 or 2 get taken to a hospital, I would never know about it.

Which company (& product) is that?

We're using Nationwide's "Travel Plus Pro" ($79/year for a couple) but it only covers trips up to 30 days...and I know some here need coverage for longer trips.

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
We had just started planning our European vacation before the Covid-19 news blew up. We have two adult sons in their twenties, and this was to be the European trip we dreamed of giving them. DH and I have travelled in Europe a few times, but taking the family is a big deal for us! We were lucky to find a couple weeks in early July when they could both get time off from work in early July.

Our main destination is Italy and we also planned on spending a week in southern Germany. Airbnb's are mostly booked but cancellable. We haven't booked airfare yet and we have always gone with non-refundable to save money. We need to investigate trip insurance, since this is the first time our medical insurance is through the ACA instead of employer-provided. I'm guessing the cancellation policy cost is going to be through the roof!

Any thoughts on whether Covid-19 is likely to be played out by July 1?

Here there are two local universities with "semester abroad" programs in Italy...Milan & Venice, IIRC...now canceled.

All students and staff scheduled to be back here by this coming weekend.

Last edited:
Here there are two local universities with "semester abroad" programs in Italy...Milan & Venice, IIRC...now canceled.

All students and staff will be back here by this weekend.

To mix with the local student population? :facepalm:

Hopefully, they will undergo "Distance Learning" for a few weeks.

We're using Nationwide's "Travel Plus Pro" ($79/year for a couple) but it only covers trips up to 30 days...and I know some here need coverage for longer trips.

Thanks for any info!

I don't have a link handy but an American couple on the Diamond Princess had evacuation insurance thru a company like MedJet. Supposedly the company was willing to send a plane. Japan refused to allow an impromptu evacuation from a quarantine. Or perhaps it was the US that refused re-admittance. Bottom line is that in their situation (a quarantine even though the insured were arguably in danger) the insurance turned out to be useless. They remained on the Diamond Princess.

We're planning a driving trip halfway across the country for May.

An advantage is that we can cancel at any time without penalty.

I wonder if that means there will be more cars on the road this summer.

Probably. If I decide it’s not safe enough to fly I’ll have to drive to take care of my Dad.

Just back from cruise

We just returned yesterday from a 7-day southern Caribbean cruise on the NCL Epic. The travel included flights from Detroit to JFK to San Juan and then returning from San Juan to O'Hare to Detroit.

Everything went smoothly for us and we had a great time.

I believe all the flights were full as it was either announced as full or I couldn't spot any empty seats.

We probably saw about a dozen people wearing masks, probably about 6 on flights and maybe 6 on the cruise (skewed a bit because 4 appeared to be one family). All masks appeared to be the cloth type that are said to be ineffective for protection.

We were constantly in crowds as the Epic had 4200 passengers for this trip according to one of the restaurant managers (capacity is 4800) plus 1700 crew. Restaurants for 3+ meals a day plus shows and other activities.

Most everyone seemed healthy. There were only a hand full of times when I noticed a cough.

We stopped in Aruba, Curacao, St Lucia and St Kitts and spent one day touring San Juan. As you might expect, we didn't notice much if any sickness in those locations, although the Hertz rental rep in Aruba had a bit of a cough.

I choose not to turn on the cabin TV for the whole time so I missed a whole week of news - delightful!

Thanks for any info!

It is GeoBlue Trekker Essential insurance plan bought on insuremytrip.com

They also have a more expensive one for $400, which basically has larger evac limits.

Expensive trip of a lifetime in April (Indian Ocean / South Africa).
Have Chase Sapphire reserve insurance covering 20K if provider cancels, and provides evacuation coverage as well.

My question is: Are these $100-200 Medical and Evac policies (cancel policies are useless at this point as CFAR is not doable at this stage) even worth it?

I hear that if you get in an area, the evacuation insurance is useless because even if the insurer agree's to it, the gov't won't if you are in quarantine zone?

Medical? I have a BCBS policy which will pay after deductible for the foreign care on reimbursement basis, so what would medical really get me?

Wondering if anyone has researched this and found some general answers.

(Note: we have decided that our decision to go / no go will be made right before the trip based on conditions at that time (early April)....and we will throw away the money if it does not seem wise to go.

You have to check with the insurer or the website selling the policy.

Typically these are secondary medical coverage.

And they might cover the deductible on your policy..

Let us know what you find out.

Just cancelled our June cruise

Just cancelled our 14-day round-trip Rotterdam cruise on Holland America for the end of June. The final payment deadline of March 15 was approaching and we believe there are, and will be too many unknowns as of March 15. HA only requires a $200 deposit when you book your next cruise from onboard your previous cruise, so our loss is practically pocket change. Flights were included and we had not yet booked our pre-cruise hotel.

I'm helping to arrange a river cruise for my DF for this spring on the Rhine with Viking.

Just got the following email from Viking. It reads in part:

In view of this we are for the time being making a temporary exception to our cancellation policy so that you can be free to postpone your cruise at any time up until 24 hours before the planned departure, without incurring any cancellation fees. You will be issued a voucher for future travel valid for 24 months, which can be used on any Viking product (river, ocean or expedition).

The entire message is at: https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

Seems like a smart and generous policy on their part. I'm sure they are getting tons a calls about cancelling - they might as well keep customers happy(-ish) even if they are losing money in the short term.

My DF has no intention of cancelling...

Travel concerns

Have a 2 month trip to Europe scheduled for July-September. The key part is 2 weeks at a theater festival in Scotland. Lots of people, crowded theaters, pubs etc. No idea what the situation will be by then or what happens to the rest of my plans if the festival is cancelled. No word if they are even thinking about it...

Trip includes, Ireland, Scotland, England and Spain, all areas with very few cases currently but that might change. Flights all booked but long haul are on award tickets so easily cancelable, intra Europe fares are ridiculously cheap so no Biggy. Holding off on more hotel bookings or or agreeing to pay the extra for cancellable reservations.

This is a bummer but hopefully will be better contained by the summer. Fingers crossed!

I am scheduled to fly to northeastern Europe in the summer. I am so thankful I bought flight insurance when I bought the plane tickets. If I have to cancel my trip I am covered.

I am scheduled to fly to northeastern Europe in the summer. I am so thankful I bought flight insurance when I bought the plane tickets. If I have to cancel my trip I am covered.

Have you read the T and C of your flight insurance? You might be covered and you might not be covered.

Have you read the T and C of your flight insurance? You might be covered and you might not be covered.

Good point. I have read the terms. I am covered only under certain circumstances for flight cancellation. One of them is if I get sick. Of course I am determined to go on my trip, and only under the most unfortunate event would I cancel it. If i have to eat the cost of my tickets I will, but only if I absolutely have to.

It is GeoBlue Trekker Essential insurance plan bought on insuremytrip.com

They also have a more expensive one for $400, which basically has larger evac limits.

Thanks!

The more expensive plan, GeoBlue Trekker Choice, quintuples medical expenses covered (to $250,000/person instead of $50,000 with Essential) and doubles medical evacuation coverage to $500,000, plus adds a small ($25,000) AD&D policy.

Looks like good choice for those worried about high medical bills while out-of-network as both plans require primary medical coverage.

If this thread represents how the general public is feeling about travel, I would say the airline, hotel, restaurant, etc., industries are in big trouble.
I am postponing a trip later this month to visit DM in Calif. I can probably survive getting infected while traveling, but I don't want to transmit it to her.
And, BTW, Southwest is one of the best airlines for canceling/changing flight reservations, with no added fees attached.

Thanks!

The more expensive plan, GeoBlue Trekker Choice, quintuples medical expenses covered (to $250,000/person instead of $50,000 with Essential) and doubles medical evacuation coverage to $500,000, plus adds a small ($25,000) AD&D policy.

Looks like good choice for those worried about high medical bills while out-of-network as both plans require primary medical coverage.

Normally we buy the $200 version, but this year when the stock market was high I felt RICH, so splurged for the more expensive plan. Strangely good timing :) as we are still planning on taking our 3 wk trip to Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom