Country club lifestyle?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are considering a second home purchase in the Palm Springs area. The top two options for us so far are attached duplex homes in condo communities where the HOA maintains everything. We have never been “country club” people and do not golf, but we are considering a purchase in a nice Rancho Mirage gated development vs a non-gated attached duplex home in a very upscale area of South Palm Springs that has an executive golf course and small clubhouse with a gym. The HOA dues are around $200/month more in the country club community, which is not significant to our monthly spending.

If you’ve lived in a country club development, please share thoughts on the pros and cons. Thank you.

I would tread lightly with living on a golf course. Courses close up all the time, then you're left with an overgrown fairway for your backyard.

Gated community, im all for that.

When choosing a home or lot, carefully consider how the lot location fits with the golf course layout. You may not enjoy having golfers hitting balls into your yard, swimming pool, or through your windows. And you may not enjoy having the golfers trampling through your yard or flower beds looking for the golf balls they hit and then cannot find.

Fun fact about living on a golf course. If the course was there first, then homes were built around the fairways...if someone hits a ball and smashes your window, thats the homeowners problem. The person who hit the ball is not liable, unless it was done maliciously...which would be impossible to prove.

If the homes were there first, and a course was built around the existing homes, then the course would be responsible for any damage done to the home.

The only reason I know is I have a relative who does live on a course. Some lady sprayed a ball in their direction and broke a window. Too bad so sad for the homeowner. It was his problem since the course was there long before homes were built around it. Sucks huh?!

We like the surroundings. No homes directly behind us. Super quiet. We never hear the golfers. The clubhouse turns into a community meeting place. We always run into neighbors and that helped us build friendships early on. The HOA maintains the neighborhood in a high end way which I think helps property values. The area is beautiful and one of the desirable places to live in our town. The course is always ranked as the #1 public course in the state.
Downside? We find an occasional ball below the cliff off our patio. The snack cart doesn’t come by often enough. You have to sneak on the cart path if you want to walk the course after hours. I don’t know of anyone who got a broken window.
We don’t play, most of our neighbors don’t play either. I wouldn’t be afraid to buy near a course. They can’t develop the one we live by into anything else. Worst case, we have a beautiful open space behind our home.
Here is our view.

Attachments

• 81382AE4-A89D-4ABB-B872-70ABE57AD718.jpeg
    81382AE4-A89D-4ABB-B872-70ABE57AD718.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 142
The property values can rise and fall on the success of the club. If the club is stable/growing you’re probably okay. If not, any failure of the club could sink your property value...

I live in the land of fancy country clubs (boca raton), though not in one myself. In S. Fla, it seems many of them come with a large equity deposit when you move in, as well as another annual lump sum in addition to the dues. As a result, actual home prices of many of these club developments are quite low, and more challenging for a resale when a buyer has to foot $40k in cash outside of the home purchase.

So, if the home is perfect, and resale is not a concern, it makes more sense. They can be some very nice homes and neighborhoods. I'd look into info though on recent upgrades and assessments. A couple of them near me completely redid the golf courses this year. Clubhouse reno's are also hefty, and usually mean big assessments outside of dues.

To answer the OP's question. We have lived in 2 country clubs (Including our current one) over the last 30 years, each was in excess of 13 years. We love the way they keep the grounds and roads etc., the way they go out of their way to co-exist with the local wildlife, no trash in the streets, no solicitors at the door, excellent areas to walk and no neighbors with run down homes or any painted bright Red, or Purple.

There are some cautions I would offer:

1) Real the CC&R's to make sure you do not mind the rules, or can live with them, we like the rules as they tend to lean towards keeping property prices stable.

2) We would not move to a CC that had MANDATORY Club, Golf, membership, we do not play golf.

3) Check the finances and depending on age check the surplus, and what assessments have or are being levied.

4) Check the home construction (more so in certain parts of the country) some home builders just sling up homes when the CC is new and look great.

5) If you do decide to buy, do not spend your life complaining about the rules that you should already be aware of. Do not sweat the small stuff.

6) Enjoy what they have to offer.

I hope you have a great experience as we have had, and continue to enjoy. CC's also tend to attract good neighbors, at least that has been our experience. All in all the good outweighs the bad by a lot.

One of the nicer country clubs in my city just got bought by a real estate developer. There are some really nice homes backing up to the course that will soon be backing up to lower end homes (assuming the developer builds the types of houses he usually does). The value of the houses backing to the course have taken a hit big time.

Fun fact about living on a golf course. If the course was there first, then homes were built around the fairways...if someone hits a ball and smashes your window, thats the homeowners problem. The person who hit the ball is not liable, unless it was done maliciously...which would be impossible to prove.

If the homes were there first, and a course was built around the existing homes, then the course would be responsible for any damage done to the home.

The only reason I know is I have a relative who does live on a course. Some lady sprayed a ball in their direction and broke a window. Too bad so sad for the homeowner. It was his problem since the course was there long before homes were built around it. Sucks huh?!

People who want homes on a golf course should choose the house location wisely...200 yards from a tee box and you will regularly get balls flying at your house. But there are plenty of locations on courses where stray balls rarely if ever happen. A former co-worker lives near the 17th tee box and her house is the opposite direction of the fairway...the 16th green is 100 yards away and they've never had a stray ball in their yards.

We have never been “country club” people and do not golf, but we are considering a purchase in a nice Rancho Mirage gated development vs a non-gated attached duplex home in a very upscale area of South Palm Springs that has an executive golf course and small clubhouse with a gym.

Maybe one thing to consider in the Palm Springs area are utility rates. I was out there is May and golfed with a couple residents and they stated that the electric rates can vary quite a bit depending on what area of town you live in and will get very expensive during the hot months, they paid more in some months then I pay in a year. If a part year resident then maybe not so bad. Palm Springs has non-gated communities?:)

One of the nicer country clubs in my city just got bought by a real estate developer. There are some really nice homes backing up to the course that will soon be backing up to lower end homes (assuming the developer builds the types of houses he usually does). The value of the houses backing to the course have taken a hit big time.

Same thing happening here a little north of us...in the "higher end" area, as well. Golfing isn't nearly as popular these days.

https://golfoperatormagazine.com/decline-of-golf/

To answer the OP's question. We have lived in 2 country clubs (Including our current one) over the last 30 years, each was in excess of 13 years. We love the way they keep the grounds and roads etc., the way they go out of their way to co-exist with the local wildlife, no trash in the streets, no solicitors at the door, excellent areas to walk and no neighbors with run down homes or any painted bright Red, or Purple.

There are some cautions I would offer:

1) Real the CC&R's to make sure you do not mind the rules, or can live with them, we like the rules as they tend to lean towards keeping property prices stable.

2) We would not move to a CC that had MANDATORY Club, Golf, membership, we do not play golf.

3) Check the finances and depending on age check the surplus, and what assessments have or are being levied.

4) Check the home construction (more so in certain parts of the country) some home builders just sling up homes when the CC is new and look great.

5) If you do decide to buy, do not spend your life complaining about the rules that you should already be aware of. Do not sweat the small stuff.

6) Enjoy what they have to offer.

I hope you have a great experience as we have had, and continue to enjoy. CC's also tend to attract good neighbors, at least that has been our experience. All in all the good outweighs the bad by a lot.

Thanks, great tips.

We are considering a second home purchase in the Palm Springs area. The top two options for us so far are attached duplex homes in condo communities where the HOA maintains everything. We have never been “country club” people and do not golf, but we are considering a purchase in a nice Rancho Mirage gated development vs a non-gated attached duplex home in a very upscale area of South Palm Springs that has an executive golf course and small clubhouse with a gym. The HOA dues are around $200/month more in the country club community, which is not significant to our monthly spending.

If you’ve lived in a country club development, please share thoughts on the pros and cons. Thank you.

I currently live in a gated community/country club. It's a very large community with about 8,000 lots (most undeveloped) with a 9 hole and 18 hole golf course, clubhouse restaurant, skiing with base lodge and top restaurant/bar, three outdoor pools, a large four pool indoor facility, a community center, an equestrian center, a nice jogging/hiking trail system, fitness center, a lake with beach and full time lifeguards, bocce courts, horseshoes, a hotel, lots of community events, and a few other things I forgot to mention. It's almost like a small town. Dues are very reasonable too ~$900/yr (though due increases our far outpacing inflation thus far). We've been here for about five years.

The good:
-All of the amenities. I've got four kids. Two teenagers, a toddler, and a baby. The amenities get used by us a lot. My daughter is in the pool almost every day year round. My teenagers play basketball, ride horses, or play xbox in the community center.
-The dues. Although the dues have been increasing quite a bit since we've been here, they're still very reasonable for what we get.
-Private roads. I like having private roads without police presence handing out revenue generation slips... err, I mean tickets.
-Nice properties and homes that hold their value.
-Full time security and gated community give you a sense of safety. Obviously nothing is 100% and the guards aren't armed, but its nice to have some peace of mind with this.

The bad:
-The HOA. They have more power than you can comprehend until you've lived in an HOA. What they say goes. If they fine you, you have very little recourse, no matter how silly it is. If you don't pay, they put a lien on your property. You already allowed them to do this when you signed the papers to buy the house.
-The rules. This is a double-edged sword, and really ties into the first point above. It's good because it keeps the community clean and home values high. However, they can get very overbearing to the point of absurdity. And you can't reliably predict how the rules/enforcement will be in the future. It depends on who's running the HOA at the time.

I've never been a golfer or a country club type person. I'm much more of a live in the country, shoot guns in my backyard, make bonfires, ride dirt bikes type of person. So, my perception may be a bit skewed. If I had grown up in country clubs, I may have a different perception. I like some things about living here, but if I wasn't married (with a wife that loves it here), I'd move out of here in a heartbeat. The HOA is just too overbearing, and even though I own my own home, it feels like I'm living under someone else's roof paying rent. And there is the added expense of HOA fees that could otherwise be invested.

Keep in mind, I live here full time. If it was a part time home, a lot of my issues probably wouldn't bother me as much.

Last edited:
When I see complaints about HOA's I need to remind folks, YOU are the HOA. You have the ability to get involved and change things. I have seen it before in HOA's that I belonged to. With an HOA you are either part of the problem or part of the solution.

You can get involved... Assuming you want to take on that role and responsibility. So you can try to make changes, but at the cost of additional work and mingling with the HOA busybodies. I'm not saying it's not worth it... It's just not worth it to me. There are many, many other things I'd rather do than to get involved with my HOA, with sticking my hand in a blender and acquiring an STD at the top of that list. Maybe if mine got worse I may change my mind.

When I see complaints about HOA's I need to remind folks, YOU are the HOA. You have the ability to get involved and change things. I have seen it before in HOA's that I belonged to. With an HOA you are either part of the problem or part of the solution.

Exactly! IMHO if one is really picky about things, one probably should not buy in such a development. We happen to like "most" of the rules as they are pretty much based on keeping property prices stable and keeping the property nice, well manicured and uniform.

My favorites are:

No mandatory Golf Membership, the club is private and open to residents, the Golf club also looks after the common grounds

There are lots that are NOT on the Golf course, we live on one

2 Manned Gates at either end of the property

No Rooster Dink Pink Houses

No Sofas in the front yard

No Trucks up on concrete blocks in the front yard (We do live in Florida after all)

No cars on the street every night without notice (lots of visitors, although most driveways in our locale can accommodate 6 - 8 cars off road)

No RV storage in the driveways (Again with notice it is OK for a short while)

Trees on owners properties should be properly maintained

Property Roof should be maintained as well as the outside paint etc.

Pick up your dog's poop and deposit it in the receptacles provided around the community

No speed bumps

Home size building restrictions (No homes under 1800sqft (I think) and Only SFHs.

GC must be returned to natural land (Marsh in our case) no PUD development is allowed (This is big based on some recent GC Closures) HOA would take over maintenance if this occurs. I remember reading this before we purchased our current home.

In our development the HOA cuts the grass trims shrubs and maintins the tall palms & trees in the ROW/Easment etc.

IMHO all these are good and acceptable. As you can tell we are fans, we have lived in G&CCs for over 30 years now. If folks do not agree with the above, the residents would probably not want them a neighbors, so it is a Win, Win.

Last edited:
And you can't reliably predict how the rules/enforcement will be in the future. It depends on who's running the HOA at the time.
And you should bear in mind that the HOA management will change and that it might not be for the better. All it takes if for a narcissistic egomaniac to get in control and populate the board with his buddies...

You can get involved... Assuming you want to take on that role and responsibility. So you can try to make changes, but at the cost of additional work and mingling with the HOA busybodies. I'm not saying it's not worth it... It's just not worth it to me. There are many, many other things I'd rather do than to get involved with my HOA, with sticking my hand in a blender and acquiring an STD at the top of that list. Maybe if mine got worse I may change my mind.

Just saying...
Part of the problem or part of the solution.

And you should bear in mind that the HOA management will change and that it might not be for the better. All it takes if for a narcissistic egomaniac to get in control and populate the board with his buddies...

The community votes.

One thing I'd want to know if I were you is whether the homes near yours are used as vacation homes, winter homes, year-round homes, or short-term rentals. The desert country clubs can be like ghost towns in the summer, so you might find yourself neighborless then. That might or might not matter, but it's good to know -- or maybe this would only be a winter home for you as well?

Also, find out the HOA and city regulations regarding short-term rentals. I know Palm Springs has cracked down on them, but haven't heard anything about Rancho Mirage. Living next door to the local AirBnB party house can be pretty miserable.

And not related to your question, but the Rancho Mirage public library has a pretty cool observatory where they give tours and have public stargazing events.

Just saying...
Part of the problem or part of the solution.

Paying dues, voting, and being passive is neither. Not everything (actually very few things) can be broken down into a binary type system.

Paying dues, voting, and being passive is neither. Not everything (actually very few things) can be broken down into a binary type system.

Ok, let me put it another way. Complain and do nothing or be the change you want to see.

Back
Top Bottom