Country club lifestyle?

I snowbird in a golf community in FL and can tell you that if your community does not require owners to maintain a golf membership (I see yours is a public course) chances are very good that your golf course will be sold to a developer at some point. Golf courses are expensive to run and without a stable base of paying members the financial stress becomes too great. Ask the folks in Myrtle Beach SC where the number of golf courses has declined steadily over the past 20 years while the number of townhouses/condos have taken their place.

We decided not to buy in the country club community, mainly because we like Palm Springs proper and most of the CC’s aren’t in Palm Springs but rather cities 15-45 minutes away.

We will likely buy a condo in Palm Springs however.

Read it and weap. There is an epidemic of golf course failures across the US. I’d not invest in a community tied to a golf course, especially if you didn’t golf:

Glad you enjoy the dig at folks misfortunes. However, it is not all bad news. While I will agree that clubs with mandatory golf dues are becoming undesirable. Private well managed communities with social membership options are doing just fine. Those with CC&Rs that prohibit multi unit homes being built if the GC part sells are the better ones.

Moral, Read the CC&Rs, check the finances and you will enjoy your country club lifestyle, just as we do. Plus, ignore folks like this who seem to take pleasure in other people's misfortunes.

Glad you enjoy the dig at folks misfortunes. However, it is not all bad news. While I will agree that clubs with mandatory golf dues are becoming undesirable. Private well managed communities with social membership options are doing just fine. Those with CC&Rs that prohibit multi unit homes being built if the GC part sells are the better ones.

Moral, Read the CC&Rs, check the finances and you will enjoy your country club lifestyle, just as we do. Plus, ignore folks like this who seem to take pleasure in other people's misfortunes.

+1

Clubs are not just the course. The restaurant (which is open to the public) is packed, weddings and other social events are held in the clubhouse regularly. The pool is full. I’ll take my chances. Here was our view last night.

Attachments

• F2BB7065-675C-4C22-ACC3-E5432E88241C.jpeg
    F2BB7065-675C-4C22-ACC3-E5432E88241C.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 47
+1

Clubs are not just the course. The restaurant (which is open to the public) is packed, weddings and other social events are held in the clubhouse regularly. The pool is full. I’ll take my chances. Here was our view last night.

Ok I'll bite...care to share what course this is? Its beautiful!

Last edited:
We decided not to buy in the country club community, mainly because we like Palm Springs proper and most of the CC’s aren’t in Palm Springs but rather cities 15-45 minutes away.

We will likely buy a condo in Palm Springs however.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the guy that wanted to live by water? --- If so, wondering why your looking at the Desert:confused:?

Our View is great also nice an secluded and not a golf link in site. :) No stray balls in our yard unless they can driver over half a mile. the best of both worlds, G&CC without the hassle. Assuming of course you do not like being directly on the fairway. I like CheeseHead's view also, not too many chances of stray balls there either.

Here are some Front and Back Yard Pics.

And for those who care: https://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Marsh-Creek-Country-Club/

Attachments

• IMG_3108 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3108 (Medium).JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00010 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00010 (Medium).JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3221 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3221 (Medium).JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Our View is great also nice an secluded and not a golf link in site. :) No stray balls in our yard unless they can driver over half a mile. the best of both worlds, G&CC without the hassle. Assuming of course you do not like being directly on the fairway. I like CheeseHead's view also, not too many chances of stray balls there either.

And for those who care: https://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Marsh-Creek-Country-Club/

Nice! -- Got any fish in that Canal? -- We spent the winter one year in Amelia Island (2011). Used to live in Jacksonville back in 72-73.

Nice! -- Got any fish in that Canal? -- We spent the winter one year in Amelia Island (2011). Used to live in Jacksonville back in 72-73.

Large mouth bass (At least I think they are) There are some very large carp in there also, here you go. It is actually a lake, connected via underground tunnels to all the others in the community.

Attachments

• IMG_3236.jpg
    IMG_3236.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

I didn't see it as a "dig", just an opposing view and a couple of stories that illustrate that GCs (even in nice developments with "iron clad CCR's) go belly up.

Forty years after developers started blanketing the Sunbelt with housing developments built around golf, many courses are closing amid a decline in golf participation, leaving homeowners to grapple with the consequences. People often believe a course will bolster their property values. But many are discovering the opposite can now be true—and legal disputes are erupting as communities fight over how to handle the struggling courses.

“There are hundreds of other communities in this situation, and they’re trapped and they don’t know what to do,” says Peter Nanula, chief executive of Concert Golf Partners, a golf club owner-operator that owns about 20 private clubs across the U.S. One of his current projects is the rehabilitation of a recently acquired club in Florida that had shut one of its three golf courses and sued residents who had stopped paying membership fees.

More than 200 golf courses closed in 2017 across the country, while only about 15 new ones opened, according to the National Golf Foundation, a golf market-research provider.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the guy that wanted to live by water? --- If so, wondering why your looking at the Desert:confused:?

We live on the beach in So CA now and have loved it here for years. However, this past winter went on and on with cooler than usual temperatures and lots of gray skies and rain. I realize many parts of the world have much worse weather, but we like heat and a dry climate. We decided to go spend 6 weeks in Palm Springs to warm up and dry out.

Once there, we loved not only the climate but also the slower pace, fewer crowds/traffic, more of a small town atmosphere while still having excellent restaurants, shops, etc. We got to thinking we could rent out our beachfront condo and move to the desert full-time. If we decide we prefer the beach, we can always come back once our tenants’ lease expires, and use the desert property as a vacation home/rental or sell it.

Both your view and CO Cheesehead’s are beautiful! So peaceful.

We got to thinking we could rent out our beachfront condo and move to the desert full-time. If we decide we prefer the beach, we can always come back once our tenants’ lease expires, and use the desert property as a vacation home/rental or sell it.

It would be nice to be able to split time between the two, I enjoy visiting Palm Springs but the heat during the summer can be a oppressive.

Will you be able to adhere to the ridiculous HOA rules, and possibly a deal with power trip leader. If you don't golf, why put up with the regulations of a gated community ?

Will you be able to adhere to the ridiculous HOA rules, and possibly a deal with power trip leader. If you don't golf, why put up with the regulations of a gated community ?

Different strokes...
We live in a gated community with HOA rules. Keeps the neighborhood looking nice and provides some entertainment.
Don't need to paint my mailbox green, so okay.:D

Because in most cases they are NOT ridiculous, and do not have power trip leaders. You are typing rubbish, or taking the word of a few. None of the HOAs we have lived in have been like that and we have done so for over 35 years. Buy into a cheapo poorly managed property and you may experience some of this. You get what you pay for.

It would be nice to be able to split time between the two, I enjoy visiting Palm Springs but the heat during the summer can be a oppressive.
We did a home swap in Poway in May/June for many years and experienced the Gray in May and the Gloom in June. But Poway burned off by 1030 and stayed sunny until 4. But La Jolla was 65 degrees and cold&gray in mid-afternoon. You have to see it to believe it!

Because in most cases they are NOT ridiculous, and do not have power trip leaders. You are typing rubbish, or taking the word of a few. None of the HOAs we have lived in have been like that and we have done so for over 35 years. Buy into a cheapo poorly managed property and you may experience some of this. You get what you pay for.

My experience has been quite the opposite of yours. Maybe you're typing rubbish? Or maybe you just can't make blanket statements?

Personally, when I move out of my current HOA, I won't ever do another one. They may not all have ridiculous rules or power trip leaders, but the possibility for both of these to occur is higher than zero, which is too high for me.

Have you ever read Rich Dad, Poor Dad (or was it the Millionaire Next Door)? Remember the part about the extremely wealthy gentleman who owned the majority of the units of a very large condo and sold all but one that he then stayed in. The HOA got so powerful that he eventually had to move away from his complex? Think it can't happen to you?

The HOA got so powerful that he eventually had to move away from his complex? Think it can't happen to you?

It has not in 35 years and 5 different HOAs. That is a pretty good track record so far. I will take my risks accordingly..... after carefully reviewing the CCRs and financial histories of a chosen community before I buy.

You definitely wouldn't recognize Jacksonville now. I've been here since 1993 and it has changed immensely since then. :)

Mike

Different strokes...
We live in a gated community with HOA rules. Keeps the neighborhood looking nice and provides some entertainment.
Don't need to paint my mailbox green, so okay.:D

Agree. Almost every home I have lived in during my adult life had one or more HOA's. Yes, personalities sometimes conflict, but in all cases the HOA was actually a benefit overall. The aesthetic of the neighborhood is better. No boats in the driveway, no RV's out front. I get my drive shoveled and they throw a party or two.
I've said it before on here and I will say it again. The problems with HOAs start when people don't know the rules or think they don't apply to them.

Just read, follow and respect your neighbor.

Agree. Almost every home I have lived in during my adult life had one or more HOA's. Yes, personalities sometimes conflict, but in all cases the HOA was actually a benefit overall. The aesthetic of the neighborhood is better. No boats in the driveway, no RV's out front. I get my drive shoveled and they throw a party or two.
I've said it before on here and I will say it again. The problems with HOAs start when people don't know the rules or think they don't apply to them.

Just read, follow and respect your neighbor.

Oh, and if moving into an HOA community, make sure you review the Reserve Study. If they don't have one, run, don't walk away.

Back
Top Bottom