Country Music Film by Ken Burns

missed some episodes, but the ones we did see were wonderful.

missed some episodes, but the ones we did see were wonderful.

If you have an opportunity to see all episodes in sequence the story(ies) really unfold very well. I can appreciate that any one episode stands on its own. We plan to watch the series again at some point. There was so much that was new to me I need to see it again so I can really understand how it all fits together.

We have an RV trip planned in the not too distant future and will be making some stops centered on country music museums, monuments, live music, etc.

Not a country music fan at all, but my Dad listened to it daily so it was impossible to ignore. Really enjoyed the entire series! Ken did seem to concentrate quite a bit on a couple of particular artists, and I'm sure that a lot of fans were put out because their favorite didn't receive as much air time, but one can only do so much.

I think almost everyone will say there were one or two (maybe more) artists that could/should have been included. I was pleased to see that so many were at least mentioned.

Look on the PBS web site or maybe still on air for a "making of" the Country Music series. The producers describe their own misgivings about how to approach the subject - who to interview, who to leave out, etc. You can imagine it was quite an undertaking to end up with 16 hours of very interesting history on the subject.

I'm sure many will take issue with the fact that the series ended during the 20th century so the past 20 years or so wasn't even discussed - at least not in any detail. Maybe that leaves room for a sequel of sorts.

Country music is a commercial product , all sounds the same ...Like what Nashville wants you to like . Texas has it's own style and musicians that write and sing incredible songs that will never be heard on top 40 . Just think how lucky we were to ever hear Hank Williams , Elvis Nashville had no interest in these guys .

We've been watching on demand, and are 1/2 way through episode 7. We discovered you can tell your Echo/Alexa to play "Country Music - A film by Ken Burns The Soundtrack" and she'll play all the songs from the five CD box set. So we can enjoy some of these greats whenever we want.

I heard John McEuen, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band member, on our local NPR station yesterday. He said the artist/star interviews you see were filmed ~three years ago. He was interviewed by the film team for two hours, and they ended up using about 20 minutes of it. This was certainly a labor of love.

We're thoroughly enjoying it.

Last edited:
really enjoyed it too, DW would be listens and two cords into a song she would start singing it ;-) I wouldnt recognise it for a few more chords in ;-)

I missed some of the series and want to catch up. Anybody know if PBS will replay anytime soon?

I missed some of the series and want to catch up. Anybody know if PBS will replay anytime soon?

If the past in any indication, the only time they will be broadcast again will be during their "begathons." They should be available via streaming, however, for some time... if not for a very long time.

Of course, if it is really important you could simply purchase the DVDs.

Back
Top Bottom