Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
All, I know is that if Dr. McCoy was born 50 years ago instead of 2227, we would already have a 100% effective, life-long vaccine, that would be quickly given to all the population via the atmosphere. Just breath a bit and you are vaccinated, and quickly cured if Covid has hit you hard.

But, he wasn't so we have to wait a few years for better vaccines, and to find out how long the vaccination lasts, how effective it is in preventing the spread of the disease and so on.

My understanding is that there was ONE severe case of Covid in the approximately 22,000 people who got the Pfizer vaccine. There were 8 mild cases. The placebo group had 162 Covid cases, and 9 severe.

The study is linked here in the first section of the page: https://www.cdc.gov/library/covid19/122220_covidupdate.html
I think this is where the 95% came from:

(8 + 1)/(162 + 9) = 9/171 = 5% not effective or 95% effective.

I see this logical error often in the press. Not knowing if X is true is not the same as knowing that X is not true. In the legal world, we sometimes framed it as "absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence."
Logic & press are related? :LOL:

I think this is where the 95% came from:

(8 + 1)/(162 + 9) = 9/171 = 5% not effective or 95% effective.

That makes more sense. I could not figure out how they came up with the 95% effective. Never had a statistics class in college.:LOL:

DH and I signed up online with UT RGV for vaccines/vaccine notifications. They are working with CDC, Feds and State for our county and two neighboring counties on vaccine distribution. They are supposed to keep us updated.

I'm good at this COVID isolation thing now. If I have to be at the end of the line for a vaccine, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Same here. I've been sequestered in my basement for months. Only time I'm not isolated is when I go for supplies.

I'm not scheduled to come out of my hole until late July when we're off to Alaska.

I can wait for a vaccine.

+100

I am 65, in good health, with no underlying conditions. I leave the house for three reasons only: to pick up groceries in the drive-through lane; to pick up a quarterly Rx at CVS; and to pick up library books at the "walk up window" outside the library. Everything else I need is delivered to my door. I haven't been closer than 6 feet to another person since March. I can do this for most of 2021 if I have to.

I am paying zero attention right now to the vaccine distribution plans because they are moot for me, for at least the next several months.

I want my aunt (age 83) and my uncle (age 86) who live in a CCRC to get the vaccine, along with all the other residents of their community, and similar communities in the state. I want the front line workers and health care providers and first responders to get the vaccine. I want my mail carrier and the other delivery folks who have kept me supplied all year, and the grocery clerks to get the vaccine. They don't have the luxury of isolating in their homes, as I do. I want the medically vulnerable folks to get the vaccine.

There is no reason for me to be at or anywhere near the front of the line.

Even my aunt and uncle are not at the front of the line. Their CCRC is vaccinating residents in the upper levels of care (assisted living and nursing home) first. Those residents come into contact with staff members who come and go, and who have multiple jobs in many cases. Those residents and the health care staff who care for them are getting vaccinated first. My aunt and uncle live in the independent living area, and they are healthy and can self-isolate as long as necessary. Everything they need is delivered to them.

I don't have to go out to earn a living, thereby risking exposure to the virus on a daily basis. The people who have to do that should be ahead of me in line.

I believe 95% efficacy means that out of the tens of thousands of people in the trails for the vaccine, 95% of those who were vaccinated (as opposed to getting the placebo) got protection, at least from symptomatic covid.

It doesn't mean that each vaccinated person had 95% protection or had 95% of the expected titers of antibodies and T cells.

Well, obviously, we can't get an exact percentage on every individual, or say they are all exactly the same, so I'm talking on average based on studies that actually tested efficacy. There are very many different strains, and some experts have stated that it may provide lower immunity against certain/future variants with more mutations, particularly if multiple parts of the spike protein are mutated. The vaccine can be updated if needed.

My pain point, though, was that it doesn't provide full immunity, which was stated in the post I responded to. And over time, that immunity that is provided will most likely decrease, according to experts, based on known science and studies to date.

And since it's not going to be 100% effective, some people are going to become infected and potentially spread the virus, even though they have been vaccinated. Experts on the matter still recommend social distancing and wearing a mask after vaccination.

I don't have to go out to earn a living, thereby risking exposure to the virus on a daily basis. The people who have to do that should be ahead of me in line.

I felt the same way. Genxer, no health conditions that would put me at greater risk, working from home most days, minimal exposure to the public, and no exposure to patients. But since I work for a health care organization, all employees were given the chance to get the vaccine days after the front line health care workers. I almost felt guilty getting it ahead of some high risk individuals, but I do have some contact with other employees who in turn have contact with patients, so they are just wanting to get everyone there vaccinated.

And since it's not going to be 100% effective, some people are going to become infected and potentially spread the virus, even though they have been vaccinated. Experts on the matter still recommend social distancing and wearing a mask after vaccination.

I think this efficacy issue is very pertinent to the distribution discussion. Because this determines the distribution plan. If certain brands of vaccines leave people possibly asymptomatic, that clearly determines the list of groups that get the vaccine first for those brands.

Travel after receiving the vaccine

I am sorry if this has been asked somewhere else already...

Let's suppose I receive the 2nd dose of the vaccine in April or May. How long *should* I wait before doing a cross-country road trip...a couple weeks/months? I am trying to figure out some trips for late Spring 2021.

Before you start throwing tomatoes, I would still wear a mask when in public, social distance, wash hands, and wipe stuff down.

DW went to her dr today for a regular checkup. He said to keep checking with Walgreens/ CVS as to when she can get the vaccine and they will give the vaccine when our age group is scheduled to get it.

DD got her Moderna vaccine shot today. Final shot scheduled for January 22.

My in-laws in Houston received a letter from Hermann Memorial hospital telling them to call for a vaccination appointment. They’ve started phase 1B for established patients age 65 and up.

It’s happening.....

Let's suppose I receive the 2nd dose of the vaccine in April or May. How long *should* I wait before doing a cross-country road trip...a couple weeks/months? I am trying to figure out some trips for late Spring 2021.

As I understand it, you should achieve all the immunity you are going to get from the vaccine about two weeks after the second dose.

Spoke with a neighbor who is a paramedic. He just got the Moderna vaccine first shot. Earlier than expected, but then 50% of the hospital workers refused the shot - so there were leftovers.

At that rate, anyone who wants a vaccine will get one by spring.

And at that rate, it will barely budge the COVID rates. :mad:

50% of the hospital workers refused the shot - so there were leftovers.

For me a lot depends on what I'll be doing, where I'll be going. Will the hotel feel like a hospital still or will the destination thing be limited in whatever I'm going there for? If it's a road trip for national parks and camping, you can do that now.

If you want to go stay at a fancy all-inclusive and use their spa and all the amenities, they might not all be open. Stuff like that.

Spoke with a neighbor who is a paramedic. He just got the Moderna vaccine first shot. Earlier than expected, but then 50% of the hospital workers refused the shot - so there were leftovers.

Apparently a large number of medical workers at Doctor’s Renaissance Hospital here in the Valley refused the vaccine leading to a surplus which shocked the heck out of us.

My guess is we will have many reports about people not getting vaccinated, but no comprehensive data or thorough analysis. Likewise for vaccine side effects.

In my opinion it’s both foolish and risky to draw conclusions from unsourced anecdotal reports.

It might be the "you go first syndrome" at work here, however for the medical people it can be a bad look.

Looks like I may have to wait a bit longer to get the vaccine. 500 doses of the Moderna vaccine have been thrown away at a clinic by me because the staff left it unrefrigerated for too long. I'm sure those dosing count as doses given to my state even though they weren't administered. I assume this will happen even more with the Phizer vaccine.

Looks like I may have to wait a bit longer to get the vaccine. 500 doses of the Moderna vaccine have been thrown away at a clinic by me because the staff left it unrefrigerated for too long.
They should be disciplined for that behavior. Like a 3 days suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom