Cream of coconut expiration

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So I've had these two cans of Coco Lopez for a couple of years, and they have no expiration date on them. I'm making pina coladas for some guests tonight and wondering if they expire. Anyone know if canned cream of coconut expires? All I see from the can is that it should be refrigerated after opening.

I found this on the web and I agree.....

if the can is rusty, throw it out
if it has bulges on top or bottom, throw it out
cocos cream is also a lot of fat, so open it and smell it, if the cream is still white and creamy, you can use it, if it ahs a smell,odor or tast, throw it away.
and last but not least: if in doubt, throw it out....

So I've had these two cans of Coco Lopez for a couple of years, and they have no expiration date on them. I'm making pina coladas for some guests tonight and wondering if they expire. Anyone know if canned cream of coconut expires? All I see from the can is that it should be refrigerated after opening.
Wouldn't the alcohol just re-sterilize everything and reset whatever expiration date was previously in effect?

More to the point, after the first couple pina coladas, would anybody care?

Wouldn't the alcohol just re-sterilize everything and reset whatever expiration date was previously in effect?

More to the point, after the first couple pina coladas, would anybody care?

If something started growing in there, it can create toxins. You might kill the "bugs" with alcohol, but it won't denature the toxins. This is the danger with botulism.

But if no holes, cracks or bulges, as bbbami said, the fat could have turned rancid. Yuck.

My plan would buy some new cans and serve the new. Next week, plan to make some for yourself with the old. If they are no good, toss 'em. No embarrassment in front of company, and you get to enjoy some piña coladas again next week if they are good.

-ERD50

Well, we survived so based on one data point, the shelf life is at least two years. I did check to make sure the cans looked good on the outside, and when I opened them the contents looked OK. But they tasted a llittle sweeter than usual, so some of the fat may have turned to sugar. Next time I'll plan ahead and have some fresh stock on hand. One thing I found out, though, don't attempt lighting oil-filled tiki lights while drinking pina coladas.

That is a valuable lesson! :)
I got to drinking them one night and when we ran out of cream of coconut, I thought I'd start using the coconut milk. NOT THE SAME THING!
Good thing we'd all been drinking long enough not to care, but that next day--UGH!

"If you like pina coladas..."

And botulism in the rain.
If you're not into puking,
And you have half a liver...

One thing I found out, though, don't attempt lighting oil-filled tiki lights while drinking pina coladas.

I did find bbam, moem's and nords reasoning very sound and am glad this was an educational experience as we have 15-20 oil filled torches that surround our pool and I concur those things are dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom