Create a low profile Facebook account?

Oh, what you really want is to create a facebook account to spy on others without them knowing? Just kidding :LOL:.

Once an account is created, you make the settings as private as possible (for example, only you can see your posts, and others can't see your "likes").

But Facebook is a slippery slope. Once you start, if you do a Like get ready for newsfeeds filling up, and who knows, in the middle of the night you might be joining in the social conversation with a picture of you doing shots at a New Years Eve party. You've been warned :LOL:.

Have fun.

I'll be careful! Fortunately, no one would be alarmed or surprised by pictures of me doing shots. It's hard to blackmail a guy like me, my skeletons are out of the closet :)

Nothing sneaky, I just want to follow certain businesses, maybe a few 'lifestyle', news and hobby postings, without having to go 'all in' and get a lot of unwanted stuff that I would have trouble ignoring.

-ERD50

I know people who have FB accounts with made up names, not sure how FB would know. And obviously thousands/millions of businesses have FB accounts, with no conventional person's name.

I login thru a FB page I used to manage with none of my personal info, but I may have to establish a low profile FB account one day too. From what little I know, I'll use a fake name and a real email address.

But your Facebook page will have "likes" from friends that haven't actually liked those ads. And other ads, more ads, and even more ads. It's getting difficult to see what is relevant to your friends with all of the ads.

The FB Purity browser add-on will let you customize facebook in many ways, including making all the ads disappear.

That's why I unfriend people like that.

I just started to unfriend a few folks as couldn't put up with the constant posting of topics I didn't care about. Wish I don't that sooner as sure does make FB a bit quieter.

I'll be careful! Fortunately, no one would be alarmed or surprised by pictures of me doing shots. It's hard to blackmail a guy like me, my skeletons are out of the closet :)

Nothing sneaky, I just want to follow certain businesses, maybe a few 'lifestyle', news and hobby postings, without having to go 'all in' and get a lot of unwanted stuff that I would have trouble ignoring.

-ERD50

That's how trouble starts, when saying "I have nothing to hide" :).

I flip back and forth of deciding should I set my FB open to all visitors or only friends. So far, the latter wins out.

I know people who have FB accounts with made up names, not sure how FB would know. And obviously thousands/millions of businesses have FB accounts, with no conventional person's name.

I login thru a FB page I used to manage with none of my personal info, but I may have to establish a low profile FB account one day too. From what little I know, I'll use a fake name and a real email address.

I suspect, like vanity license plates, as long as the names don't sound offensive or totally fake, maybe they go under the radar and don't get scrutinized.

I deleted my primary FB account last week, although it takes two weeks for the deletion to become "official".

Meanwhile, I have another account I opened years ago under an assumed name. It's a tiny account, with only three (real) friends, and I'll continue using it just for the purpose outlined here.

In my other (real name) account, I had well over 100 "friends", some of whom I barely knew. Probably 10% of them were using assumed names. One got caught and had to change his ridiculous assumed name to something less ridiculous but then just continued with it.

At first I thought the title of this thread was create a low life profile Facebook account. :LOL::facepalm:

I was curious about FB some years ago and opened an account. I "friended" two people before I realized what it was all about. I reduced everything to just the "shell" and have never friended anyone else. I keep it mainly to look at other's sites occasionally.

I have a few fake FB accounts, I don't like how intrusive FB is about knowing you.
For example, I would never let it read my email address book... :nonono:

I rarely ever go there, as I don't want to brag too much about stupid stuff, and everyone updating is really a broadcast of their action which they don't tell you directly because you are not important enough. IMHO it's just a fake intimacy.

I use all the privacy features so no one can really find me to ask to be my friend. I have a few friends, very few on FB. Only "friends of friends" can ask to be my friend and so I get few requests. Most of those I ignore. If one of my FB friends posts too much, I stop following them, but remain their friend.

First set up a new email account. And never use it to contact anyone. Use this email account with a quirky name different than any online name that you are now using when you set up Facebook. Then search for sites that interest you and like or follow them. Don't friend anyone. That should get you what you want out of FB.

The key to low profile is not to give FB anything that it can use to cross link you to anyone else. If you provide an email address that you use, your account will then show up as a possible friend for people that you've emailed with.

And keep your setup as private as possible by toggling the most restrictive privacy options when you set up FB. Don't publish Birthday, etc

First set up a new email account. And never use it to contact anyone. Use this email account with a quirky name different than any online name that you are now using when you set up Facebook. Then search for sites that interest you and like or follow them. Don't friend anyone. That should get you what you want out of FB.

The key to low profile is not to give FB anything that it can use to cross link you to anyone else. If you provide an email address that you use, your account will then show up as a possible friend for people that you've emailed with.

And keep your setup as private as possible by toggling the most restrictive privacy options when you set up FB. Don't publish Birthday, etc

+1 on using an alternate email account - create a free email with some provider and don't use it for anything excepts Facebook. Don't ever give it to anyone and don't make it anything that resembles your name.

Then use some variant of your real name when you register for Facebook. There's no need to lie, just use a name that nobody would be searching for. The alternate email address seems to be the key to avoid cross-linking to other people, more so than a name variant.

If anyone ever asks to friend you just ignore the request.

Well, that's why I'm asking. As I said, I really know nothing about setting up an account. It sounds like you get one shot at it, so I want to do it right the first time.

Not at all. Tying it to a throwaway email is a good idea. If you are spamming people or have an obvious fake name you might get the account closed, but I've seen some pretty obvious fake names stay open. I have a friend who used to use her full name, and when she went through a divorce she either closed that and opened a new one, or renamed her old one to something like "Running Jane" and it's all fine. Facebook is approaching 2 billion users, they aren't going to track down someone who just wants a stealth account. Use a variation of your name or just John Smith, and turn all the privacy settings on, and don't use a profile picture.

I didn't read the whole thread but in case nobody explained it, I recommend that you set up a page and make everything private - set it so only friends can see it. Then ignore it and don't accept any friend requests. You won't see much of anything except a few "recommended" pages based on your profile and activity on FB. If you want to see the stuff your wife, kids and close friends post then friend them.

Facebook is what you decide to make it. You can block the obnoxious people and ads. If you participate, you never know the fun you can have. I keep up with my family who are all over the US. I have reconnected with former co workers, high school friends and long lost friends. If you keep up your page, FB can be a source of joy and fun. You just need to manage what shows up on your feed. Just my two cents.

FB has been a revelation to me. I've gotten to know many casual acquaintances I've "known" for years a lot better through FB. Some for the better, but a surprising number to the worse - mostly their politics. I've had to unfollow a few who were completely obnoxious, and I've never heard them represent themselves that way in person over the 20 years I've "known" them. And some of them I've purposely kept more distance, versus pursuing closer friendships, all because of how they represent themselves on FB.

Just another surprise re: the interwebs and social media...

I've basically stopped looking at my feed, and I 'follow' very few people. This turns Facebook into something where my friends can read all my posts, but I never see theirs. Not very reciprocal, to be sure.

However, my recent big revelation about Facebook is how they are splitting out their independent services on their mobile apps. I currently use Facebook Messenger for both FB private messages to friends and regular SMS texting. I use Facebook Groups to keep up with different groups I'm a member of. I don't have the actual Facebook app installed on my phone!

It works better for me this way. I'm not there for cat pictures, I'm there to discuss interests with others who have the same interests. Kinda like the E-R site. :)

I agree Midpack. I also find the "shadow" accounts kind of creepy. I always wonder why they choose to be a voyeur and not participate. You know they are there, they just never engage. Kind of like someone watching you from the corner of the room.

We pretty much only joined FB to participate in Facebook Groups, and because all the parks and nature centers around here have FB pages and that's the easiest way to track what is going on.

On our own FB page we only share a few things related to our nature photography and sometimes travel pictures. After being exposed to so many personal "sharing" posts and emotional political rants and posts people feel compelled to share for some reason, we do not participate in that stuff. We certainly do not share our personal opinions on anything.

Dont be fearful! You miss much if you are. You do control what you see, what others if any see. And you can have multiple accounts; just need a unique email address for each, easy to do with gmail.

I remember getting spam emails from friends who signed up for FB, FB somehow would get their contacts. Be careful, they may get more information than you intended to give them.

I remember getting spam emails from friends who signed up for FB, FB somehow would get their contacts. Be careful, they may get more information than you intended to give them.

I bet it was because they signed into a game or app that says "we will access your friends, OK?" and some, not too smart folks, say yes. :facepalm:

Interesting stuff-thanks for the info on FB.

DW and I do not use FB (never have) because of the privacy issue. Kids let us know (from their FB accouts) about relatives and friends looking for us.

If you want to see some real life negatives of FB, watch HUNTED on CBS. Couples try to outsmart "chasers"-former CIA, cops, hackers, etc. by staying "on the run". The first thing the chasers do is pull FB accounts and start tracking friends and family to find clues about where the runners might be hiding out. Chilling how FB helps connect the dots.....of course, it's all pretend stuff for TV and not real, right:confused:

BTW, we are now addicted to watching HUNTED....

Back
Top Bottom