Credit Card Intl. Transaction Fee

AFloat

Dryer sheet aficionado
We're going to be out of the country for over a year and I don't want to pay the 3% international transaction fee on my VISA FIA Card (although I get 1.5% cash rewards to lower the transaction cost to 1.5%) or the 2.5% Amex charges.
In my quick internet search it seems that Capital One charges 0%, even eating the 1% charged by Visa or MC. Is this the best credit card for intl. use or are there others? I do have a debit card on my Fidelity account but I'm not sure if Fidelity charges a fee for intl. withdraws other than the fee charged by the ATM owner. I use the ATM for 'walking around' money but charge most major purchases. Any advise from seasoned travelers?

Thanks,
Frank aka AFloat

I do have a debit card on my Fidelity account but I'm not sure if Fidelity charges a fee for intl. withdraws other than the fee charged by the ATM owner. I use the ATM for 'walking around' money but charge most major purchases. Any advise from seasoned travelers?

Thanks,
Frank aka AFloat
Frank
You are correct about Capital One--we use them when we travel out of country.
I was just checking the Fidelity ATM and they only charge 1% for currency exchange. If you plan to use foreign ATM, this is a great deal IMO. We used our standard ATM and ate 3% on our last trip.
nwsteve

Capital One looks a good bet for a credit card, my cards charge a premium on international so I don't use them. Some banks don't charge a surcharge for international, such as Bank of Internet which is what we use for international travel. $8/month atm fees waived, plus you can use the Debit card everywhere Visa is used, so we just transfer enough money into the bank account before we go over seas.

I think I did get charged the 1% from VISA using Capital One...

but I could be wrong...

Frank
You are correct about Capital One--we use them when we travel out of country.
I was just checking the Fidelity ATM and they only charge 1% for currency exchange. If you plan to use foreign ATM, this is a great deal IMO. We used our standard ATM and ate 3% on our last trip.
nwsteve

I have Fidelity's ATM card and they also have an unlimited reimbursement of ATM fees. The only problem is when I used it in Cambodia and Vietnam recently the fee that appears on my receipt apparently wasn't being received by them, so I am forced to call them to get fee reversed. The good thing is they take me at my word on the amount of the fee. I still keep the receipt until I see the reimbursement.

Happy traveling

MJ

I don't think Capital One eats the 1% that MasterCard/Visa charge. I've found that both of our credit union credit cards don't charge for international transactions. However, one of our credit unions charge 1% for ATM withdrawals (the other charges nothing).

Back
Top Bottom