Cuisinart (conair) buyer beware

wallygator69

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi.

Just a rant here.

I bought a Keurig style, single coffee cup brewer for $200 less than a year ago. I bought cuisinart because friends and family have had huge issues with the reliability of Keurig units....

After 6months I had to turn the power on and off several times , at least a couple of times a week, to get it to reset and Brew. Started to get worse so contacted Cuisinart. I had to pay $10 processing fee to get a replacement and I had to pay shipping via UPS of $38.00.

Their defective product costs me $48.00 to get a replcement.

My new unit is doing the same thing after only 1 month!:mad:

At least with a Keuring you can walk into a Bed Bath and Beyond and walk out with a new one for no charge. A friend has returned 6 of them in the past few years with no questions.

I won't be buying any Conair products going forward.

Buyer Beware!

Take Care,

Wally

Your post is good reason to reflect on the Simplify, Simplify, Simplify! theme.

There are a number of inexpensive, high quality, simple, well constructed, single use coffee makers available. French Press, Aero-Press, etc. Probably last a lifetime, and cost less than the one repair you went through.

-ERD50

I think you're comparing apples to oranges here. Both units, Keurig and Cuisinart, have issues. Your friend is using the generous return policy at Bed Bath & Beyond to get the Keurig replaced for nothing. You're going directly to the manufacturer to replace your Cuisinart. Keurig will make you pay shipping to return their unit too. I'm wondering why you didn't mention/return it to the store you bought it from? I get the feeling you didn't get it at Bed Bath & Beyond and wish you did?

I think you're comparing apples to oranges here. Both units, Keurig and Cuisinart, have issues. Your friend is using the generous return policy at Bed Bath & Beyond to get the Keurig replaced for nothing. You're going directly to the manufacturer to replace your Cuisinart. Keurig will make you pay shipping to return their unit too. I'm wondering why you didn't mention/return it to the store you bought it from? I get the feeling you didn't get it at Bed Bath & Beyond and wish you did?

I bought it in New England over holiday and live in Myrtle Beach. I could have gone and bought a new unit at Costco or BB and Beyond and returned the bad one in it's place but played by the rules and got screwed. I don't know what Keurigs return policy is but I have made many returns over the year and have never paid both a processing fee and had to pay shipping....

Yes, I could have done a lot of things different but my point is that Conair isn't the kind of company I want to do business with...

I don't post often, only when I think I have something that could benefit the community that has helped me so much. Again, point was buyer beware when buying Conair/Cuisinart.

See ya,

Wally

What an awful experience with Cuisinart!

I am pretty happy with the 4-cup Mr. Coffee that I bought last fall, with the permanent filter. Despite the name, it makes exactly two medium mugs of coffee. It keeps them warm for two hours and then shuts itself off, and it stops brewing while you are pouring a cup. Most people seem to prefer the Keurig. My daughter loves her Keurig, but my coffeemaker is just right for me.

Last edited:
What an awful experience with Cuisinart!
I am pretty happy with the 4-cup Mr. Coffee that I bought last fall, with the permanent filter. Despite the name, it makes exactly two medium mugs of coffee. It keeps them warm for two hours and then shuts itself off, and it stops brewing while you are pouring a cup. Most people seem to prefer the Keurig. My daughter loves her Keurig, but my coffeemaker is just right for me.
I'm with you, W2R. Mine only makes 24 ounces too, but it takes all the neglect & abuse I can dish out and keeps making coffee. It's on our back lanai right next to our vermiposter, too, so I can make coffee without waking up spouse and then dump the grounds three feet away on the worms. I clean the pot once or twice a year (whenever I can no longer see light through the bottom) and I think it cost maybe $20.

I've drunk too much muddy brown water under too many primitive conditions to feel entitled to spend big bucks on sophisticated brewing techniques. Kona is about as expensive as I'll go, and I actually prefer the harsher taste of the Costco french roast...

I'm with you, W2R. Mine only makes 24 ounces too, but it takes all the neglect & abuse I can dish out and keeps making coffee.

You're thinking like me, now. :D It takes a lickin, and keeps on [-]tickin[/-] brewing coffee.

Nords said:
It's on our back lanai right next to our vermiposter, too, so I can make coffee without waking up spouse and then dump the grounds three feet away on the worms. I clean the pot once or twice a year (whenever I can no longer see light through the bottom) and I think it cost maybe $20.

I've drunk too much muddy brown water under too many primitive conditions to feel entitled to spend big bucks on sophisticated brewing techniques. Kona is about as expensive as I'll go, and I actually prefer the harsher taste of the Costco french roast...

Mine is right next to the kitchen sink. I toss out the grounds and quickly rinse the carafe, filter, and filter holder when I pour the second cup. It doesn't take long at all to brew a mug full. In fact, it is faster than firing up my laptop, so I start the coffee, start the laptop, and then the first cup of coffee is ready to pour. I like having control over how much coffee is used each time. I have been spending the big bux ($9.99 per bag) for Dunkin Donuts coffee, my favorite lately. The bag lasts me 36 days, so at two mugs per day that is less than 14 cents per mug. We don't have a Costco here or I would try the french roast; sounds great. :)

Last edited:
We don't have a Costco here or I would try the french roast; sounds great. :)

You may have tried it already, I've been told by the sample people at Costco that it's really Starbucks coffee that's put in Costco packaging.

Dimsumkid said:
You may have tried it already, I've been told by the sample people at Costco that it's really Starbucks coffee that's put in Costco packaging.

I suppose it might vary from place to place. In the local Costco, the nearest thing to a store brand coffee is "San Francisco Coffee", roasted and packaged by Rodgers Family Coffee, of Lincoln, CA. I've heard of a Kirkland Coffee "roasted by Starbucks" but haven't spotted or tried it yet. The "San Francisco Coffee" regular and decaf French Roast are pretty good. I use a fine burr grinder and a Saeco espresso machine, so my idea of good may differ from others. Starbucks own beans lack the intense flavor I like. I like a strong coffee taste with no hint of chicory, that lingers in the throat with a mild burning sensation... :)

The gotcha is that the burr grinder is a Cuisinart. :facepalm:

Last edited:

I suspect the muddy brown water may be the result of having the coffee maker too close to the vermiposter before having that first cup to wake you up. Do you have the vermiposter with the little spigot on it?

I suppose it might vary from place to place. In the local Costco, the nearest thing to a store brand coffee is "San Francisco Coffee", roasted and packaged by Rodgers Family Coffee, of Lincoln, CA. I've heard of a Kirkland Coffee "roasted by Starbucks" but haven't spotted or tried it yet. The "San Francisco Coffee" regular and decaf French Roast are pretty good.
I like a strong coffee taste with no hint of chicory, that lingers in the throat with a mild burning sensation... :)
Made me look. It's a 40-ounce Starbucks bag of french roast.

I'm sure "french roast" was invented shortly after two coffee roasters each thought the other had taken the last batch out of the oven ten minutes ago. Like M Paquette, the "robust" flavor reminds me of midwatch coffee that was brewed right after dinner and left to season in a pot that was cleaned during the last refueling overhaul...

Do you have the vermiposter with the little spigot on it?
Ruh-roh...

Nords said:
Like M Paquette, the "robust" flavor reminds me of midwatch coffee that was brewed right after dinner and left to season in a pot that was cleaned during the last refueling overhaul...

Dats what we call an "educated palate". That is, a palate that understands the subtle variations between traditional "Chief's Blend" and worm drippings. Or Cuisinart before and after being acquired by Conair...

I never could make coffee as good as I could buy.

After drinking brown brewed junk for years, a little instant Kava is all I need. Acid-neutralized keeps my plumbing happy, too.

I like to keep it simple. No fancy schmancy $400 machines and no proprietary packets to buy. Just simple, fresh brewed coffee. Aaaaah! I do grind my own beans though.

$2 drip coffee maker from a garage sale, if it breaks, toss it and get another. Also, 800 coffee filters from Amazon, and use each a few times.

$2 drip coffee maker from a garage sale, if it breaks, toss it and get another. Also, 800 coffee filters from Amazon, and use each a few times.
Oh, oh, reuse coffee filter, maybe all this reuse is inbred in the folks who reuse dryer sheets?

Oh, oh, reuse coffee filter, maybe all this reuse is inbred in the folks who reuse dryer sheets?
Coffee filters?!? Paradise!

I reuse dryer sheets in my coffee maker...

THREAD STEALERS..... COFFEE MAKER NOT COFEEEEEEEE:facepalm:

Just kidding.

Al, take a drip coffee maker apart once and you'll never buy a used one again. Buy a Cheapy at Wallymart and at least then your drinking your own Icky brown fungusy gingivitisishy crap. Plain Nasty, seriously....

c ya

wally

Back
Top Bottom