Any guys give up on their hair?

I've looked like crap ever since covid and I got one of those "6 different plastic clips for the buzz clipper" widgets. Go out side and whack off my own hair jobbies.....

You get the best lighting for cutting hair outside. And no cleanup. I cut mine using the outside mirror of my truck. Works great. Just need to take the truck for a drive to blow the hair off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 6.09.58 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 6.09.58 AM.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 15
I think a fit man with shaved head is a great look. Just don't ruin it with a thick, scraggly, or overly fussy-trimmed beard.

I've had thinning hair since my 20s, and been taking it clipper short for ~30 years now.

Guys who are losing their hair don't fool anyone by keeping it longer on top. That look is SO 1960/70 and can be pretty tacky. It's completely accepted and totally normal nowadays (and has been for a very long time) to have a buzzcut or faded buzz if you're balding.

Many / most people (including DW) think it's a lot more attractive to have a buzz if you're thinning or balding. IMHO, that's because if it's NOT buzzed, the longer hair is a big contrast to the thinning/no hair - and that can look absolutely God awful. When you buzz the longer hair down to short or even stubble, you get more of a consistent look and less "contrast" with the thinning or balder spots.

My barber advised long ago that I get my own clippers since it's super easy to do yourself. She recommended the Andis Master and Oster 76, so I bought both and they are probably the best quality machines you can get. The Oster has removable blades (purchased separately) for different lengths and is a BEAST. The Andis has a taper guard that allows you to fade, as well as the plastic guards you can get for different lengths.

From an ER perspective, you invest ~$100 - 150 in an Andis Master and guards (or, go cheaper with a Wahl or similar) ONE time, and you never need to spend $$ getting a haircut ever again. I've probably saved $30K over the years in not needing to have a professional cut my hair..

Using either to do a buzz is SIMPLE. Cut from the bottom up. Keep the blade perfectly parallel to your head as you go up (ie: don't angle or dig in). It's literally so easy anyone can do it - blindfolded. No need for a barber, and you won't get a different result unless you are trying to do something fancier like fade. (And a clippered fade once you get the hang of it isn't that hard, either). The only thing you need to do is not miss any areas - which is brain dead simple as you can go over an area as many times as you want without changing the end result in terms of length. In fact, you SHOULD - and most good barbers do - go over an area several times to make sure everything is uniformly even.

I do either the Oster "00000" (0.2mm) or Andis without a guard and either leaves just stubble. But since I have little to none left on top, this looks a hell of a lot better than when the sides and back get even a little longer since I then have "contrast" that accentuates the balding areas..I've even straight razor shaved it many times, which also looks pretty good. I actually go back and forth between smooth razor shaved and super tight buzzed.

Wife has even learned how after being a little apprehensive. She's done both buzzcuts and razor shaves for me. And if you, like many guys enjoy having a nice looking girl cut your hair - having your wife do it instead can be a somewhat intimate experience.

Just go for it. It's SO common nowadays literally no-one will think anything of it. I even walk around totally bald frequently and actually feel I look my best when I do.

Last edited:
My best friend, a female, has a history of baldness in the women in her family. To her horror, she started thinning out in her early to mid 40's. One day, she plucked up the courage to ask me to buzz it like mine. It looked amazing, and she was won over! She used to love her long hair, and went through quite a lengthy and difficult period in which she realized she was losing it. She saw it as part of her femininity. Now, she loves the cropped look, and also loves the ease of maintenance. Sometimes, she'll crop and bleach it for a look that is a bit more "standout". She, unfortunately, is rather sensitive to the way her looks are perceived by others. It has been a great joy to me, to see her make the best of her hair loss, and turn it into a positive. I very much like the practical "let's make the best of what we have" approach.

When I used to travel for work (especially to hotter climates like AZ, CA, FL), I noticed a LOT of women with super short / buzzed hair - and many of them looked absolutely stunning. Especially those that did the bleached buzz look.

If you have the head shape and facial features (ie: are reasonably decent - good looking), very short hair - whether you're male or female - seems to accentuate your facial features. And there does seem to be a bit of a trend among the ladies in recent years as well for changing it up and doing the bleached buzz or super short looks also..and unlike us guys who do it because of MPB, they can do it just because they want to..

Had really thick hair but at 40 it started with that small bald spot in the back. At 69 the top is really thin but still have enough hair
do not know of any natural solution
being bald never looks bad on someone else ..

Funny thing is, as I lose more and more of my hair, the price at the Barber shop keeps going up and up. I remember as a young boy I paid 50 cents... (but it was soon a $1 for many years) Now it's $20 w/tip.

Funny thing is, as I lose more and more of my hair, the price at the Barber shop keeps going up and up. I remember as a young boy I paid 50 cents... (but it was soon a $1 for many years) Now it's $20 w/tip.

I know a place that gives free haircuts. Very efficiently too!

Marine Corps Recruits Initial Haircuts

I pay $40 + $10 tip for a wash, cut, blow dry and style. It's worth the money as long as my hair stays thick and healthy.

I've always been puzzled by all that extra stuff. I can't cut my own hair, but I've pretty much mastered washing, drying and combing it by myself.

My wife has cut my hair for years. Nothing fancy - used to go with 7/8” all around, but in the last year I cut back to 3/4”. When it gets too thin, it will be a buzz cut for sure.

Been cutting my hair with a #1 guard for years, starting before I really lost much. Just so much easier and carefree. Even if they came out with a pill that restored your hair to your teen years I'd cut it this way. At my age who am I trying to impress?

My brothers. I take the clippers to it about every two weeks.
I'm surprised how much I hate it if I let it go a little longer than that.
Never done the full shave, because I'm too lazy.
Take care, JP

Been cutting my hair with a #1 guard for years, starting before I really lost much. Just so much easier and carefree. Even if they came out with a pill that restored your hair to your teen years I'd cut it this way. At my age who am I trying to impress?
+1. The best I can hope for is presentable, I gave up on trying to impress DW a LONG time ago… :blush:

I go to Great Clips because it’s cheap, and now so I might have a new hairstyle every 4 weeks. :LOL: Actually they’re not bad at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom