Deck Maintenance

merlin3942

Recycles dryer sheets
Our (2-level) deck is in need of power washing and re-staining/sealing. There are companies in our area that advertise "25 year warranty deck sealing" (although they don't really talk about "staining"). Has anyone had any experience with this sort of deck restoration? Is it possible to have a deck cleaned (power-washed), and then either stained or painted to whatever color you like, and then "sealed" with a process like this? Not sure we'd want just the "natural, original" wood color of the deck without staining/painting.

It's not at all difficult to power wash a deck. You just don't need to use a pinpoint spray nozzle as it'll blast the wood off and leave you with rough veins. Take it easy on the water flow. Many also use a bleach/water mixture to kill the algae first.

If you want a natural finish, just use a paint roller on a long handle and use an oil based sealer. You may have to reapply it after a couple of years, but rolling a deck is not that big of a job.

I have a hardwood deck (cumaru) that we had put in in 2015. It requires an oil based stain. I would not use a pressure washer, as it will damage the wood, causing uneven staining and rough patches. We use a deck cleaner once or twice per year and every 18 months or so we brighten and stain the deck with a natural color oil based stain. You don't really seal the deck. It's a bit of work, but the deck is very nice. It has darkened a bit over the years. We'll be applying a stripper before we stain this year.

A great website to learn about deck care is:

https://www.deckstainhelp.com/

I agree with the paint roller method. Just don't roll it on too thick, and wipe up excess within 30 minutes or you'll have sticky spots.

When obtaining exterior whole house repainting bids 3 years ago, we priced having our wooden deck refurbished as part of the project. The painting contractors bidding, mentioned that for slightly more, we could have a Trex type product installed, assuming the underlying struts were in good condition. We went with that application and have been very happy. (The railing system only was stripped and restrained at that time.) Last month we followed up by replacing the railing system (actually the posts were not removed, .....but covered by hollow PVC, ....only the railings and balisters are new), so now we have what appears to be a completely new deck. We are very pleased.

Last edited:
25 years can't be true, imo. Stain/sealer at big box stores say 3-7 years depending on the opacity. The less transparent stuff is equivalent to paint as you will not see the wood grain at all. It is durable to a fault. I pressure washed an old deck, only removing 10-20%. I then went to sanding everything smooth again (too much work) and reapplied similar product. The wood was very old, but the home owner was not able to pay for replacing it.

I probably wouldn't do it again. Just wasn't the outcome I would be proud of.

My personal deck is covered & I recently restrained it using transparent and looks like a million bucks. I will likely be doing mine every few years.

Attachments

• IMG_20190614_112209.jpg
    IMG_20190614_112209.jpg
    808.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20201208_155719.jpg
    IMG_20201208_155719.jpg
    843.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Our old house we built a aircraft carrier size deck (16' x 60') and used red cedar. It was nice but oh my at the work to refinish it. We never got more than 3 or 4 years out of the oil stain.

Our current house we are building, we went with Fiberon composite decking. Yeah, it is fake but it looks pretty nice and I am hoping the maintenance is minimal.

We use a natural cedar oil stain, usually lasts 3-4 years.
Prep with bleach/water to remove moss, etc. and have used both brush and roller, roller wins for time savings, but need to be careful of putting too much on.

I prefer a wood deck but when refurbing we got Trex as seems to be expected. looks great but I have to clean it 1-2 times annually with power wash. It is more like having a piece of furniture. Careful not to scratch or melt it!

You can safely power wash even Trex. I has a low power electric power washer. Does a great job. Also some oxi-clean on the white rails where they get algae and mold.

They are not "no maintenance".

On refurbing a wood deck, there is deck helmet and similar thick coatings which MAY have longer life, but I'm sure it would not do 25 years.

Five years ago, I replaced the deck of my 2nd home with Trex Transcend, which was and still is their best grade. I made a thread about it.

I still have not washed the deck once. It is on the south side, and exposed to the sun all day in the summer, and collects snow in the winter. I just let the snow and rain wash it off.

When I was up at my home a few weeks ago, saw that the deck look a bit faded, but it could be from not having all the dust rinsed off.

Back
Top Bottom