Depositing checks online WITHOUT phone apps

I actually receive a lot more checks than I write. Here are the checks I've received in the past year.

We get a rent check from our tenant every month. She prefers that to other payment methods such as Venmo, and I don't mind as long as the phone deposit app works.

I get checks at Christmas and my birthday from my mother-in-law. So does DH. My mother also wrote me a check to reimburse me for something I purchased for her through my Amazon Prime account. Other family members wrote me checks when we did a group gift.

Annual dividend check from some Disney stock.

Misc product rebates.

Payment for participating in an online marketing study.

Mileage reimbursement from some volunteer activities.

Wow! Thanks for the list! I guess there are still a lot of people with checking accounts and more check use sources than I am aware of.:)

My credit union allows checks to be deposited via web page and scanner.

+1 (or maybe +2). I belong to two different credit unions - one in my "home town" and one where I live currently. Both have a means to scan front and back of check and upload the images.

I am not sure if all phone app based deposits work the same. My 53rd app will wait until the check is either in-focus or the right size, or good contrast, etc. and then automatically snaps the photo. Not action taken on my part except point and wait for it to capture the image. I have never had an issue with those deposits.

I am not sure if all phone app based deposits work the same. My 53rd app will wait until the check is either in-focus or the right size, or good contrast, etc. and then automatically snaps the photo. Not action taken on my part except point and wait for it to capture the image. I have never had an issue with those deposits.

Fidelity's works the same. It almost foolproof.

What frustrations did you experience? Checks too large for phone deposit? Checks not posted correctly? Issues correcting a mis-entered amount in the app? Not accepting your check photos?

Just curious as to what I should be looking for. I have not had any issues in several years of occasional deposits. ...

Yes, knowing what issues you are having will help with answers.

As mentioned, with the phone on WiFi, there is no data charge, so that should not be a concern.

I find it cumbersome to log on with my phone to do a mobile deposit, and also wish I could do it from my laptop, using the built in web-cam. It's just far easier with a full sized, physical keyboard and large monitor. I guess I'll try making another suggestion to my Credit Union, I suspect I'll get a nicely worded "OK, Boomer" response.

A bit better is to use a tablet - larger screen, larger virtual keyboard.

Another option (I have not tried this), but I think that many new Chromebooks will run Android apps, so that's more like using a "real" computer.

-ERD50

I pretty much only get rebate checks these days, and only 2-4 a year.

I find it cumbersome to log on with my phone to do a mobile deposit, and also wish I could do it from my laptop, using the built in web-cam. It's just far easier with a full sized, physical keyboard and large monitor. I guess I'll try making another suggestion to my Credit Union, I suspect I'll get a nicely worded "OK, Boomer" response.

You just need a decent phone with biometrics, my 2 year old Galaxy Note 8 uses fingerprint recognition so I never have to type logins once it's setup in the app. Load the app, touch finger to sensor to login, put in deposit amount, deposit check. I always deposit checks on a black background so the check recognition works quicker. Don't know how any method could be quicker or easier.

Almost every financial app I use, including credit cards, supports this. Other phones (iPhones etc.) have facial recognition.

I do NOT do any investment activity on my phone so will never have the Fidelity or Vanguard apps loaded. But for checks, mobile deposits are a godsend.

Last edited:
There are dozens of bank drive-throughs in my immediate neighborhood, and there are drive-throughs for his bank and for my bank less a mile from our homes. None of them are busy and it takes about 15 seconds to drive through one and deposit a check when on our way to lunch or somewhere else.

I suppose that depositing checks online (plus dealing with septic tanks, wells, and stray cows) could possibly be a problem for people who choose to live way out in the [-]boonies[/-] countryside. Not my problem, though.

You just need a decent phone with biometrics, my 2 year old Galaxy Note 8 uses fingerprint recognition so I never have to type logins once it's setup in the app. Load the app, touch finger to sensor to login, put in deposit amount, deposit check. I always deposit checks on a black background so the check recognition works quicker. Don't know how any method could be quicker or easier.

Almost every financial app I use, including credit cards, supports this. Other phones (iPhones etc.) have facial recognition.

I do NOT do any investment activity on my phone so will never have the Fidelity or Vanguard apps loaded. But for checks, mobile deposits are a godsend.

Well, my phone does not have fingerprint recognition, so no, it's not super-easy, and I'm not going to upgrade my phone just for this (I'm not a big phone user). It's not super-hard either, but it's not even debatable that it's easier to type/navigate on a computer with a full sized keyboard, mouse and large display than it is on a phone (and even though I'd like a bigger screen, I don't like carrying a phone that big, so I'm stuck until they perfect a cheap fold-able/projection screen or something). On the phone, I need to scroll around to see what is available on my computer screen w/o any scrolling.

And sometimes I like to take a screen shot on a financial site, and copy that, or the data into a spreadsheet or something. That's far more difficult on a phone.

All I'm saying is the option of using the computer with web-cam/scanner should be offered.

-ERD50

I confess that I've never deposited a check using a phone app.

Instead, for my online Discover checking account, I've printed out deposit slips, and mail then through good old snail mail.

So, for those that do deposit online, what do you do with the paper checks you've received? Say, if someone writes you a check for you help in something. Do you just shred the checks?

Instead, for my online Discover checking account, I've printed out deposit slips, and mail then through good old snail mail.

So, for those that do deposit online, what do you do with the paper checks you've received? Say, if someone writes you a check for you help in something. Do you just shred the checks?

I sell them on eBay!:cool:

No I don't. Seriously, I write on the back "e-deposited" and the date. Some checks now have a check box on the back for indicating it was an online deposit. Imagine that! I save them for maybe a month to be sure they clear both my bank and the issuing bank. Then, like you mentioned, I shred them.

Just mark them deposited, with the date. Keep 'em maybe until you see them on the monthly statement (online or paper), or end of year, or just shred 'em - whatever.

I hate putting things in the mail. Things can get lost, so you really need to track it or you might miss it. Mobile deposit is near real time feedback.

I just bought some parts to refurbish a 1931 Lionel Tin-plate locomotive. A few guys have a business in supplying these parts to hobbyists. I go through the online ordering process, then... print the order form, and mail it in with a check!?

Haven't seen the check clear, it's been a couple weeks, I guess I have to email him to see if he got my order. Feels like the dark ages.

-ERD50

You hold onto them for a few months, then shred.

I don’t like having checks in the mail.

You hold onto them for a few months, then shred.

I don’t like having checks in the mail.

I see.

I actually have two checking accounts. My primary is online. But also, one that has a local branch at an area inside a nearby grocery store. That way, if I have a large check that I don't want in the mail, I'll just deposit in person at the store.

Of course, then to move the amounts around I go online and to transfers as both accounts are linked to a money market fund.

Sounds inconvenient, but for me, not too bad.

I’ve been depositing checks with my iPhone using the USAA app for years with no problems, and the funds are available immediately. I’ve also done it with Ally and a credit union. The credit union held the check for a few days.

I sell them on eBay!:cool:

No I don't. Seriously, I write on the back "e-deposited" and the date. Some checks now have a check box on the back for indicating it was an online deposit. Imagine that! I save them for maybe a month to be sure they clear both my bank and the issuing bank. Then, like you mentioned, I shred them.

I can see verified deposits usually later the same day online. The check is then torn up and thrown away. Never had a problem.

To make a general comment on this thread - I thought the title was, "Depositing checks online WITHOUT phone apps". (Capitalization of WITHOUT is per OP, not added by me.) The first sentence is then, "I am trying to compile a list of financial institutions that allow online deposit of checks WITHOUT using a mobile phone app." OP also said he wanted "to avoid this thread from turning into a discussion promoting the virtues of smartphone technology vs pcs".

I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but after 42 posts in the thread so far, the large majority of them try to discuss/remove objections to using a phone app. Isn't that exactly what the OP said he did not want this thread to turn into? Other posts suggest mailing deposits or using ATMs - neither of which is "online" per OP's request.

Let me know if I've missed anything, but I can only find one post which gives actual suggestions to answer OP's question:

#12 IIRC, USAA

There are also these two posts:

#21, #27 "My credit union" and "two credit unions" respectively, but no names of these credit unions are identified, so not exactly an answer. Perhaps they imply a general suggestion for OP to check any credit unions he may have access to.

I'm also curious about OP's question, but judging by the responses (or lack thereof) here, evidently very few institutions support scanning checks and using a web browser to upload them (or similar method).

The instructions I have gotten online from the financial institution is to hold the check for 3 months in case they need to verify. So that’s what I do.

To make a general comment on this thread - I thought the title was, "Depositing checks online WITHOUT phone apps". (Capitalization of WITHOUT is per OP, not added by me.) The first sentence is then, "I am trying to compile a list of financial institutions that allow online deposit of checks WITHOUT using a mobile phone app." OP also said he wanted "to avoid this thread from turning into a discussion promoting the virtues of smartphone technology vs pcs".

I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but after 42 posts in the thread so far, the large majority of them try to discuss/remove objections to using a phone app. Isn't that exactly what the OP said he did not want this thread to turn into? Other posts suggest mailing deposits or using ATMs - neither of which is "online" per OP's request.

Let me know if I've missed anything, but I can only find one post which gives actual suggestions to answer OP's question:

#12 IIRC, USAA

#21, #27 "My credit union" and "two credit unions" respectively, but no names of these credit unions are identified, so not exactly an answer. Perhaps they imply a general suggestion for OP to check any credit unions he may have access to.

I'm also curious about OP's question, but judging by the responses (or lack thereof) here, evidently very few institutions support scanning checks and using a web browser to upload them (or similar method).

Thanks for noticing.

-OP
(gauss)

I'm not getting checks from any regular source.

What checks are being deposited by all you ER folks that boast about never writing/receiving checks anymore? :confused:

OK. This made me curious. So, since the start of 2019....

1. Payment on an insurance claim
2. Refund on property taxes (x2)
3. Distribution from member owned insurance company
4. Refund check on insurance policy on property that had been sold
5. Insurance policy refund check on cancelled policy
6. Refund electric service
7. Small checks for earned interest on bank accounts recently closed
8. Refund on income taxes on my deceased mother's final tax return
9. Final pension payment on my deceased mother's pension
10. Option fee received on sale of property
11. Retainer refund
12. Insurance Refund on my deceased's mother medicare supplement

Granted a number of these were not common events (those related to my mother's estate). Not all of these were deposited by phone app. Those that were going into the estate bank account could not be deposited by app and had to be brought in. There is also a limit on the amount that can be deposited. Don't recall if any of these went over the amount.

Anyway, as can be seen, the majority of actual paper checks received were either related to my deceased mother or were for refunds of various things.

I said, “my credit union”, because credit unions tend to be local. In case anyone cares, it is iQ Credit Union in the Portland, OR area.

Last edited:

#12 IIRC, USAA

I offered an option. Posts like this don’t foster the community, just the opposite. Listening to other thoughts is one way to learn.

Last edited:
I offered an option. Posts like this don’t foster the community, just the opposite. Listening to other thoughts is one way to learn.

It seems like the OP appreciated my post (since he replied and said "Thanks").

To put it another way, let's get this thread back to the topic of the question the OP actually asked, instead of continuing to suggest and comment on the opposite of what was asked.

Alliant credit union https://www.alliantcreditunion.org accepts online deposits from scanned checked images, which I have made from a flatbed scanner. It has been simplified and improved over the years, but I have fewer checks to deposit in recent years. I've had only one or two a year in recent years, the last in Nov. 2019.

Back
Top Bottom